IGNORED

T.r.a.s.h. WIP

WizardBone

What if you have the fire button perform those actions (and trigger the animations) instead of shooting only when you happen to be standing a trash can or an item that could be picked up, and have the button shoot the rest of the time? Best of both worlds?

This is also true. And makes me curious how it would be done. I'm not sure it's what you are thinking, but it could be possible the button fires as you would expect. But it would also be possible to trigger the animations if you are "ontop" of or "touching" the garbage items only. And depending if it's a garbagecan or bag it would use the proper sprite. That one would require a decent amount of time playing around, but it's an idea. I could be way off what you are talking about, feel free to correct my thinking lol main goal of this entire topic is to wrap my head about the best solutions

Edit: As a game play example, the button is used for firing. It doesn't matter what animation is used when you wanna shoot because they are all designed to shoot.

So you could be walking, shooting the gun. But if you walk into a bag, you can still shoot, but the game will switch the sprite to his crouch for a split second. standing back up when the items is collected.

An automatic, game-controlled crouch when he touches items might be best way to say it lol

I suck at explaining things :P

Edited by WizardBone

Maybe it's not what you want, but I would think that the fire button would perform the open can or crouch action *instead* of firing when you are on top of the appropriate object. This could cause problems if you are in the middle of a fight and just happen to be on one of those objects when you try to shoot the enemy, but I think the player would quickly learn to avoid these situations.

Don't forget that it's your game, and it's okay to do things in the way that makes the most sense to you, ultimately, even if some here have different ideas. :-)

Sweet! I assume it's what people were talking about they would like to see. Not sure how else I would do it. Is it similar to what you were thinking for controls? (minus the new bugs lol)

I found it better for battle, actually I found it to make the battle more of a challenge for some reason, even though you got more movement. So that's fine with me. It feels nicer, but I miss the animations lol Gonna have to suck it up and find another purpose for them somehow or use the free'd rom space for something else. Glad you like it better though.

Would you be able to make the animations if pressing up and down with the button pressed?

Don't forget that it's your game, and it's okay to do things in the way that makes the most sense to you, ultimately, even if some here have different ideas. :-)

This is very true. I'm excited to see this develop as I haven't seen a game like this developed for the 2600. This could lead to a contra type port possibly

ahahah I know. My head is such a mess of it all, using the ideas to form a better picture.

OK, so you mean, the button has to be pressed when you wanna collect an item(performs its action), the game would have to know when the player was on top of garbage.

AND the button is also used to fire the gun as expected.

THE PROBLEM would be you might walk on top of an item while trying to shoot an enemy?

haha I sound dumb af., just wanna get the whole idea clear.

BUT my answer, your problem would never exist actually. So your solution would work, this is because, if you play the game you will notice, each screen has two sprites for an enemy or items to pick. There is no screen where a monster is on screen as well as a item to collect. (that would have to be 3 sprites + sprites) BESIDE one screen, the eyeball will come with a bag, which can be worked around.

Your theory would work now I think! if i got it right this time lol

Would you be able to make the animations if pressing up and down with the button pressed?

Do you mean make animations of him walking backon and front on? I could, indeed, but I have no idea if it would fit. The character is made from two sprites. So that would require 8 or something more sprites for extra animations, but the controller would accept it no problem. bank limitation is tight. But its a thought.

This could lead to a contra type port possibly

I would love that. I was obsessed with Contra and similar type games growing up. The influence is probably obvious hehe.

Edited by WizardBone

ahahah I know. My head is such a mess of it all, using the ideas to form a better picture.

OK, so you mean, the button has to be pressed when you wanna collect an item(performs its action), the game would have to know when the player was on top of garbage.

AND the button is also used to fire the gun as expected.

THE PROBLEM would be you might walk on top of an item while trying to shoot an enemy?

haha I sound dumb af., just wanna get the whole idea clear.

BUT my answer, your problem would never exist actually. So your solution would work, this is because, if you play the game you will notice, each screen has two sprites for an enemy or items to pick. There is no screen where a monster is on screen as well as a item to collect. (that would have to be 3 sprites + sprites) BESIDE one screen, the eyeball will come with a bag, which can be worked around.

Your theory would work now I think! if i got it right this time lol

Yes, you are following what I am saying - that is what I meant. If the problem I identified would be a non-issue, then even better. If personally think it would look better for the player not to shoot when opening a can or collecting something, and pressing a button to do these actions is nice and simple. But it may take some trial and error to see what will look and work out best in practice.

• Like 1

Do you mean make animations of him walking backon and front on? I could, indeed, but I have no idea if it would fit. The character is made from two sprites. So that would require 8 or something more sprites for extra animations, but the controller would accept it no problem. bank limitation is tight. But its a thought.

I would love that. I was obsessed with Contra and similar type games growing up. The influence is probably obvious hehe.

Joystick with no button - walking.

Joystick with button pushed - Up = open can; down = pickup animation; diagonal is diagonal shots; forward = shot forward.

Basically can it function like it does now and just add the animations to the up down plus button push?

• Like 1

For the idea of pushing the button when you're colliding with a garbage can, why not have it allow to shoot while you're interacting?

If a can is empty no need to play any additional animation, just shoot.

If it's in need of opening, still fire the projectile while it's being open. The main character has two hands. :) Then we can get the best of both worlds without worrying while in a fire-fight.

The main character has two hands. :) Then we can get the best of both worlds without worrying while in a fire-fight.

hahah that is a good point though. If it were real life you would be able to open a can one hand, with your gun ready to fire in the other.

I like how everyone brings up good points and melts my brain how I will do this in the end.

Edited by WizardBone
  • Like 1

Joystick with no button - walking.

Joystick with button pushed - Up = open can; down = pickup animation; diagonal is diagonal shots; forward = shot forward.

Basically can it function like it does now and just add the animations to the up down plus button push?

I replied to this (didn't post it at all somehow)

It's one of those things i'd have to try. I THINK it could work? but often I think things will work and the oddest things happen lol dual purpose might work well but might crack myskull. :skull:

Edt: Still thinking about, and making sense the more I keep thinking about it. I don't think I read it correctly first lol

Edited by WizardBone

Ok, so I'll be the odd man out that admits I miss being able to duck the enemy shots. Otherwise the new control scheme works just fine. Takes some finesse to collect trash at the top of the screen, but as soon as you learn that it's walking straight up or down that triggers the cans/bags, it's not so bad.

• Like 1

Ok, so I'll be the odd man out that admits I miss being able to duck the enemy shots. Otherwise the new control scheme works just fine. Takes some finesse to collect trash at the top of the screen, but as soon as you learn that it's walking straight up or down that triggers the cans/bags, it's not so bad.

I haven't ran into a scenario where ducking saved or would have saved me.

• Like 1

Haha I miss it too. Yeah, the garbage collecting would need to be redone to suit it better (if I leave it)

I haven't ran into a scenario where ducking saved or would have saved me.

Yeah you don't need too. I used to do it for the heck of it.But because you could walk up and down you could avoid instead of ducking.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this game... the big multi-color sprites and animations give it a really cute look.

The discussions on movement are good. I do find them a bit awkward currently. I think you are definitely on the right track.

My suggestion... incorporate the fire button during the opening screen so I can bypass the song and get into the action immediately. :)

• Like 2

Thank for you checking out my game MissCommand! Happy you think the sprites are cute : )
Yeah it is a lil awkward, still need to work on that a bit when I get back into it.
Yeah the intro is super annoying to wait for haha Pressing fire to skip it will probably be added. Good point. Also it won't happen every time you die. Just loop back to the first scene again or something.

• Like 1

I have a question, will it play on the Flashback Portable?

Hmm, I really have no idea. lol I guess someone could try. But right now I do not have the hardware to try. Sorry ZippyRedPlumber!

IT would be cool though. I haven't used one, only seen.

Edited by WizardBone

I have a question, will it play on the Flashback Portable?

Hmm, I really have no idea. lol I guess someone could try. But right now I do not have the hardware to try. Sorry ZippyRedPlumber!

IT would be cool though. I haven't used one, only seen.

FYI - I just tried it on the AFP - it does work on there!

• Like 1

FYI - I just tried it on the AFP - it does work on there!

Thanks for testing that out Arenafoot! It's nice to know it at least works outside of stella. I haven't tested it any kind of hardware yet honestly lol. My Atari is in a different province haha

So was it super jittery? Or much the same as it plays with Stella?

• Like 1

This game is really cool. I like the garbage commando and all the different monsters. I did notice a cheat that if you rapid fire while leaving a screen, there will be no monster on the next screen, only trash. It wouldn't make sense to do it all the time, since you don't get any monster points, but it makes it easy to refuel. I don't think it was intended, as it defeats the purpose of the fuel meter.

• Like 1

Thanks for testing that out Arenafoot! It's nice to know it at least works outside of stella. I haven't tested it any kind of hardware yet honestly lol. My Atari is in a different province haha

So was it super jittery? Or much the same as it plays with Stella?

Little flicker on the AFP, but personally I seem to be able to control "Davy" better on the AFP with the D-pad, than using the keyboard on Stella 5.0.

• Like 1

This game is really cool. I like the garbage commando and all the different monsters. I did notice a cheat that if you rapid fire while leaving a screen, there will be no monster on the next screen, only trash. It wouldn't make sense to do it all the time, since you don't get any monster points, but it makes it easy to refuel. I don't think it was intended, as it defeats the purpose of the fuel meter.

Hey Swami! thanks for playin! Glad you liked it. DAMN, that is one hell of a bug you found there haha. I'm so glad you found it.Not sure what causes it but great feedback! 100% not suppose to happen. You'd be able to cheat the entire game forsure like that loll

Edited by WizardBone

Little flicker on the AFP, but personally I seem to be able to control "Davy" better on the AFP with the D-pad, than using the keyboard on Stella 5.0.

OHHH that's nice to hear. I been thinking it might be worse on the D-pad. Bit of relief knowing it isn't completely breaking. Lots left to do, but don't wanna get bogged down re-doing things. :) Thanks for testing things out(again)

Edit: I am not sure which version you are testing, now I think about it. There are Two here. I forgot that I changed the controls and posted in a comment for people to try. It is not permanent change, so I didn't add a link to the main post. A few of us were having a convo about what might be better, so I took some feedback and tried a different way. Lemme know which one you tried if you get a chance? The main one, or if you found the second one in the comments.

Edited by WizardBone
  • Like 1

OHHH that's nice to hear. I been thinking it might be worse on the D-pad. Bit of relief knowing it isn't completely breaking. Lots left to do, but don't wanna get bogged down re-doing things. :) Thanks for testing things out(again)

Edit: I am not sure which version you are testing, now I think about it. There are Two here. I forgot that I changed the controls and posted in a comment for people to try. It is not permanent change, so I didn't add a link to the main post. A few of us were having a convo about what might be better, so I took some feedback and tried a different way. Lemme know which one you tried if you get a chance? The main one, or if you found the second one in the comments.

I downloaded the "TRASH_Game_2017.bas.bin 8KB" June 30th .bin (on the first post of this thread) on my AFP.

• Like 1