IGNORED

T.r.a.s.h. WIP

WizardBone

OOPS sorry, I had no idea you guys wrote comments. My apologizes.
Unfortunately no. No updates :(
Truth, I've been working on a non-atari project with a friend. Which is eating up all my free time that I used to dedicate to this project.
This game is still in the back of my mind to finish though, it's one of my fav. projects I worked on past couple years. Been a lot of fun. I'd love to see it on a cart too! Just not sure when I can get back to it ATM. Someday I might amuse the idea for someone to help me with project, dig a lil deeper than I can. But, that's undecided, I kinda wanna finish it myself :)

I think it's very cool you guys still play it! Means so much to me. I can't promise but perhaps I will break it open again on a snowy/rainy day in a few weeks and see if I can figure out some updates. I think, adding level music would enhance it, and the one thing I've yet to do, some kind of power up? or maybe a few more screens would be nice? I got this other project file for trash where Davy's garbage can is a jet-pack and you are flying vertically up the screens, (tall buildings on either side you can enter.) I intended to add that jetpack as a power up or second level, but I ran out of vars. and rom, which then got placed on a back burner. ALSO i thought it would be cool to have one more boss using the jet-pack thing. But yeah, that might be dreaming. :P

OH RIGHT, I did start a second game many months ago, it's literally only concept. An rpg, but that's merely an idea with few lines of code for a battle system and not worth talking about right now hehe

UMMM I think that's all I can fill you guys in with? About the extent of whats been going on with me and Atari project.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

No updates yet. Thought I would share that I tried Trash on my RetroPie the other day, and it worked better than expected. Actually a lil better than Stella (without phosphor turned on). Will be trying some of YOUR guys games too later the week ; ) to add to my collection. Let me know if you are curious about your game working on it. I'll give it a try later the week.

And for updates, I been tinkering with a new city map. So far so good and much-much bigger. Not sure when I'll get to the point of an update release. Too much on my plate. But I sat down for a few hours the other day. So nice to get back into it for a bit : )

• 2 months later...

Hi WizardBone! Tomorrow on the ZeroPage Homebrew we'll be streaming your game LIVE on Twitch! Looking forward to playing through it.

We'll be playing game at 60fps on a RBG Modded Light-Sixer 2600 through a Framemeister! We'll be starting the stream at 2PM PT/5PM ET, hope to see you there!

Twitch LiveStream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

post-37205-0-48798300-1528434669_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi WizardBone! Tomorrow on the ZeroPage Homebrew we'll be streaming your game LIVE on Twitch! Looking forward to playing through it.

We'll be playing game at 60fps on a RBG Modded Light-Sixer 2600 through a Framemeister! We'll be starting the stream at 2PM PT/5PM ET, hope to see you there!

This is one I have my eye on. I can't wait for an additional update.

• Like 1

Cimmerian, that is awesome! I wish you the best of luck getting it running haha!

I've been linked to a couple videos of ppl playing it for youtube content and it failed miserably. : ( haha

Hopefully it runs half decent for you on your setup. : )

I will try my best to make it to your stream. Tomorrow is a busy day, but I will try my hardest to come and watch and have a lil chat with everyone.

Will it be recorded as well if I miss it?

It would be amusing to watch you play and see if you can make it to the boss. : )

Also, I notice you are in Van City, I'm in Halifax. Hello from East Coast.

This is one I have my eye on. I can't wait for an additional update.

Mr. Beefy, my apologizes for being a slacker this year. lol So much to do, so little time.

I've attached a .bin file of a NEW level design I was toying with. But it is NOT a game update, Sorry. It's purely level design I was working on before I took a long... long... break.

The way it works is, The score is used as a g.p.s. system (Last Four digits of the score.)

If you venture left or right, the score will count up or down depending on the direction. (using two digits)

And if you venture up or down a road, the score will also count up or down depending on direction you choose.(it uses another two digits)

Hope that is clear? Might take a second to realize how it works, but it's fairly basic when you know how the score works as the GPS system.

BTW, Davy crashes the city map and it was so frustrating it's why I took a long needed break, so for now I have a temp Character there to roam the city lol

Also, i'd like to say, the .bin file attached is UNFINISHED. Most of the city is empty, I was making sure I could put buildings and objects however and wherever I pleased. So again, this is not any kinda game update, just level design using GPS system.

I've also attached a image file of the city map so far, its really easy to get lost, so perhaps it will help. : )

In theory, the entire city could be 99 x 99 screens as a mass area.Which is pretty big.

CitGridWithBuildings.bas.bin

post-47993-0-24808200-1528448485.png

Edited by WizardBone

Hi WizardBone!

Hope you were able to catch the stream, I had no problem getting it up and running on my RGB modded light-sixer. :-) The stream was recorded and can be watched here:

https://youtu.be/ozBbdNCjpEg?t=56m22s

I could not for the life of me find the boss! I tried to go everywhere I could think of in the game but I was probably missing something really obvious.

Hello from the West Coast! :-)

-James

Cimmerian, that is awesome! I wish you the best of luck getting it running haha!
I've been linked to a couple videos of ppl playing it for youtube content and it failed miserably. : ( haha
Hopefully it runs half decent for you on your setup. : )
I will try my best to make it to your stream. Tomorrow is a busy day, but I will try my hardest to come and watch and have a lil chat with everyone.
Will it be recorded as well if I miss it?

It would be amusing to watch you play and see if you can make it to the boss. : )
Also, I notice you are in Van City, I'm in Halifax. Hello from East Coast.

Hi WizardBone!

Hope you were able to catch the stream, I had no problem getting it up and running on my RGB modded light-sixer. :-) The stream was recorded and can be watched here:

https://youtu.be/ozBbdNCjpEg?t=56m22s

I could not for the life of me find the boss! I tried to go everywhere I could think of in the game but I was probably missing something really obvious.

Hello from the West Coast! :-)

-James

Lol I was able to catch the beginning of the stream, but I had to leave before you got to play Trash. -_-

So I will watch from the video link. :)

And for the boss, you need to get 9000 points, then the boss will be inside a room waiting for you. There's a reason for 9000pts.

You should meet him.

• 2 months later...

I've attached a .bas file as an example of creating the double sprites in T.r.a.s.h.

You will quickly notice I am calling drawscreen twice. Cheating? Gross? probably lol but that's how it works for now.

Calling the drawscreen twice allows you to pull out two sprites for player0, two sprites for player1, two playfields, two balls, and two missiles.

I'd obviously like to rewrite the program without the flicker and still have those options available to me.
Anyone have an example .bas file that can demonstrate doing this a different way?
I think I'm going to tackle quality of the program first, before I redesign the gameplay to be more fun lol.

The multisprite kernel seems like it might almost work for it... I may dig deeper into that one.

This is a, feel free to shoot ideas if you have any to share, kinda post. I'm all ears.
Learn assembly is probably the only honest answer : )

doubleSpriteTemp.bas

Edited by WizardBone

That's really the only way to do it with the standard kernel; you have to alternate the sprites on different frames in order to get more. In my simplistic 4-player game demo, I use a frame counter for this instead, and check for even/odd frames with "if Clock{0}", but it is essentially the same as what you are doing.

The biggest downside to the multisprite kernel is the symmetric playfield (either mirrored or repeated). You can avoid flicker if the virtual sprites are separated vertically, but they will still flicker if they are on the same horizontal lines.

Flicker isn't ideal, but it can't always be avoided, either. It is more noticeable on some TVs than on others.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Karl!
I believe you have a name change? Which game is your 4 player project. I'd like to have a look at it. (I'm sure i've played it, the name change is throwing me off lol)

Yeah i guess I will continue with the two drawscreens, I am fine with it, just seems to bother other ppl.
I figured I would post this message in case anyone had a better solution. Thanks for the reply letting me know how you go about it : )

Yes, I changed my name on here. I hadn't actually intended "kdgarris" to be my display name when I signed up originally.

Anyway, my 4-player game "Starcatcher" is just meant to be a very simple proof of concept game for the 4scores minikernel I made, so don't expect too much if you try it. :) I was surprised to learn that there have been no other 4-player bB games, and very few (one?) 4-player homebrews of any kind, so I may eventually try my hand at a better one.

• Like 1

A long time ago I made a game that used flickering and alternating colors heavily:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207626-mmsbc-2-done/

Long story short: it was very hard to look at on real TVs and 2600s. Every modern computer screen has varying response times and color temperatures. Could never get the eye strain down with just emulation.

Another possible reason for lack of bB 4 player games is that readpaddle only works with a smaller subset of graphic options. Perhaps one day they'll be a drawscreen replacement that handles paddle inputs and multiple virtual sprites :)

• Like 1

Haha yeah I clicked on your profile and realized right after. It was actually the photo that threw me off, I'm used to seeing yer face on the profile lol : ) Also, same. I hate this user name I have right now lol I been meaning to change it because I don't like when people say "Trash is programmed by wizardbone" ew, cringe lol

Im gonna try both 4 player games the weekend, wooo. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I thought I left a message for the people who help motivate development.
My external hard drive was stolen from my bag awhile back at a public library -_- Yup, I'm one of those idiots that never kept multiple copies of the project.
It makes me sick to think about rebuilding the game lol the gameplay doesn't hold up, so I'm not gonna try to recapture it.

This game is in it's final form whatever it is. Rightly called Trash.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

Hopefully, if not this again, you will be inspired to make another game at some point. I personally use Dropbox for backups. Every time my code is in a stable place, I copy it over there just in case.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you would think that's the obvious thing to do... I have no idea what I was thinking lol. I checked up down sideways and everywhere. No code anywhere lol puke

I'd like to make another game for sure, it was one of my more fun hobbies over the years.

May be a good time to switch it up to DPC+ to get enhanced graphics and stuff. A clean start!

Also, WizardBone reminds me of Bone Thugs n Harmony. So, it's already cooler than you think :)

May be a good time to switch it up to DPC+ to get enhanced graphics and stuff. A clean start!

Also, WizardBone reminds me of Bone Thugs n Harmony. So, it's already cooler than you think :)

I'm unsure what game to make next is my problem. If/when I do, I might take a look at the DPC stuff for sure.

Wizardbone, I actually do not like that user name. I been meaning to change it since day 1 lolll Again, not sure what I'd change it too.

And for now, gone to check out what Bone Thugs n Hatmony is : ) Thnx

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I left a message for the people who help motivate development.

My external hard drive was stolen from my bag awhile back at a public library -_- Yup, I'm one of those idiots that never kept multiple copies of the project.

It makes me sick to think about rebuilding the game lol the gameplay doesn't hold up, so I'm not gonna try to recapture it.

This game is in it's final form whatever it is. Rightly called Trash.

Have you considered remaking the game for the Atari 7800? I know it would mean restarting but with the capabilities of the 7800 you could make it so much more than than the original. The game is amazing and this is type of game that the Atari 7800 is sorely missing.
  • Like 1

Have you considered remaking the game for the Atari 7800? I know it would mean restarting but with the capabilities of the 7800 you could make it so much more than than the original. The game is amazing and this is type of game that the Atari 7800 is sorely missing.

Thanks for the nice comment Tidus : )

I have considered making a Trash for the 7800. I've considered many others as well. I've even considered using a modern engine. I can't decide though. I want to make sure if I'm gonna learn a bunch of new stuff.

I believe what stops me is thinking about game play. I can imagine trash on many machines and how it might look according to each of their limitations, but I struggle with forming ideas for game play. I suppose that doesn't matter first, getting something on screen is step one lol. Still, need to decide on what to try n built a demo for next.

• Like 2

Oh man! I am so sick to hear that you lost all of your work. T.T

So sorry man. :/

The 8-bit Family would also be a good choice I think, given its BASIC languages are very mature and you can get some really nice graphics out of it. I have been working on 7800 as well to see if I want to travel that path too. I think Trash would be great fun on either one.

• Like 1