IGNORED

I Want an Atari 8-Bit Handheld1

Amen.

Hoping for something a little more portable.

I actually got an Atari 800 emulator working on my Nintendo 3DS XL but I would love something dedicated.

Can you send me step by step instructions for dummies on how to install the emulator on the 3ds xl?

I have one downstairs in the store, and have never really used one (that's why I asked for the dummies version) and I'd love to play with it.

Thanks.

:)

A small netbook running Altirra is a good choice. You get a sophisticated and accurate emulator + the familiarity of windows + replaceable hardware. And oodles of storage space for all your games and documentation. Not to mention no messing around with one-offs or waiting for a kickstarter to go through. You could have one ready to roll this week!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 3

I suppose that there's also the possibility of turning the miniaturized 5200 project into a handheld of its own. I haven't seen a miniaturized A8 system -- has anyone tried this yet?

Not super mini, but a great project nonetheless.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261147-1088xel-alternative-mother-board-project/

• Like 1

Can you send me step by step instructions for dummies on how to install the emulator on the 3ds xl?

I have one downstairs in the store, and have never really used one (that's why I asked for the dummies version) and I'd love to play with it.

Thanks.

:)

It's a little convoluted. You have to run it through an exploit in the music playing software that's included on the 3DS. Nintendo has been constantly updating 3DS software so it's an endless cat and mouse situation.

I digress - I feel like I might have my emulator settings off or something. It crashes when loading most games. It's almost like there are too many options for the emulator. Anyone else have experience with it?

A small netbook running Altirra is a good choice. You get a sophisticated and accurate emulator + the familiarity of windows + replaceable hardware. And oodles of storage space for all your games and documentation. Not to mention no messing around with one-offs or waiting for a kickstarter to go through. You could have one ready to roll this week!

Not to mention netbooks can be had for a song these days. Although beyond the RAM and hard drive, you can't really replace much in a netbook can you?

• Like 1

Not to mention netbooks can be had for a song these days. Although beyond the RAM and hard drive, you can't really replace much in a netbook can you?

No not really. It should be good enough as it comes. 1GB ram is more than sufficient. And any processor in the 1GHz range should be alright, too.

• Like 1

No not really. It should be good enough as it comes. 1GB ram is more than sufficient. And any processor in the 1GHz range should be alright, too.

I've replaced the keyboard on my HP Netbook (and battery too). Been using it for years for SIO2PC and when travelling for Altirra. With a USB-->Joystick adapter it makes for a good game fix in the hotel room. Edited by Brentarian
  • Like 1

Altirra is the next best thing to a genuine Atari 400/800. And it's a stable platform.

The Ben Heck 8-bit gig is interesting. But I see it as a cosmetic exercise. I'm wary of Gameboys and DS and SoCs running strange emulators, IMHO it means a substandard experience.

I have successfully used both Atari 8-Bit emulators & Amiga emulators on the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet. They are quite affordable on ebay, nowadays. They are also very useful as mp3 players & as external removable storage devices. They are very nice to use, particularly due to the fact that they are pocket Linux computers that can accept two fast 32GB San Disk Extreme Pro SDHC cards, for a 64GB capacity, and because you can plug regular USB keyboards into them, and also connect to other devices via Bluetooth. Highly recommended!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800

post-7682-0-04892200-1498840975.jpeg

Edited by UNIXcoffee928
  • Like 5

Here you go:

9cbec16453292e4f8036b05fb4da075e.jpg

A PocketCHIP ($69) running atari800. The big problem is that the function keys don't want to work, so you can't do much without an external keyboard. I've been trying to figure out what's going on, and I haven't updated to the news PocketCHIP OS.

Sounds like something I should work on... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Matej!,

I am working on portable 600MHz linux handheld called MATTIE... I try to port there A800 emulator and boot linux into it...

http://uzebox.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2385

Good SOC choice, old but with good Linux support. Main limitation is the lack of FP support. I have Debian 9 with kernel 4.9.14 running on an olinuxino maxi, runs very well and stable. If you need help with the SW support, just ask.

Are you also planning on including an LCD screen? Long time ago I used a mini2440, those were also well supported in Linux but slower still (and expensive by today standards),the included LCD was very easy to use.

Good luck!