IGNORED

I Want an Atari 8-Bit Handheld1

There are limits to every choice. Go RPi and you will spend a fortune kludging a display onto it. Go cheap Android phone and you will probably not get host mode OTG capability. Google is now pretty intrusive with their 'Google Market' requiring close to 4 gigs storage on what ever device you would want to use for their bloatware.

I'm a USB joystick and keyboard fan with emulators. You really need OTG USB for this.

If you go Android, you need at least 4 gigs of storage just for updates and bloat ware. I've also found 1 gig of RAM is pretty much a minimum to run w/o crashing and lagging.

SD card slot with ability to use at least 8 gig card is a must. Lots of developers are not adding the ability to put their apks on SD card so you still need a ton of built in storage.

Bluetooth is almost a must. Let's you dual use as an MP3 player with external speakers but headphone jack is probably enough.

WiFi is a must.

I'm terrible with tablets, I think I have bought, busted or worn out 7 or 8. If the title of the thread wasn't handheld, I would say the new Raspberry Pi but with that restriction It has to be and Android tablet of some form with the minimum specs I outlined. My Kindle Fire just overheated and took a dive. While getting a replacement I came across a tablet that should meet all the minimum requirements. Off brand FleBay thing but current. I will do a bit of testing when it gets here to see if it is up to snuff. *IF* I can get my Kindle working with the parts coming in, I will investigate its ability to run an emulator too. When they offered that ~6 Kindles for $250 deal a few xmases ago I got sucked in, but didn't keep a spare for myself so I am currently Kindleless. :)

• Like 1