IGNORED

Venture DX

retroillucid

Here's a project I started working on a few weeks ago

Venture DX (Deluxe)

The goal is to recreate the Arcade/Colecovision version into a more ''modern'' look

Well, it was honestly made to look like if it was done for the NES ;)

The original game had 3 different levels wich include 4 different rooms per Level

The DX version is going to have 8 different levels and a total of 32 different rooms

It's also going to have 32 different treasures to collect

That also mean, more enemies and features as well!

What do you like about Venture?

What would you change or add?

Let me know!

Meanwhile, here's some of the works in progress:

post-11933-0-65607600-1498773342.png

post-11933-0-07687100-1498773343.png

post-11933-0-42217700-1498773343.png

post-11933-0-70486700-1498773343.png

• Like 18

I've never touched a roller controller myself, but I wonder about If the roller controller is connected, how well can using both joysticks as a twin stick shooter work.

Allow the option to still use the original Winky sprite.

Put a barrier or sub room inside a room that requires a key be retrieved from another room. Randomly drop the key at the start of the floor into a random room.

Random teleport traps that teleport randomly to another room. Make it a different kind of teleport trap that is sometimes a required element to get in and out a room with a blocked area (teleport from a certain room to another and back.)

• Like 1

I've never touched a roller controller myself, but I wonder about If the roller controller is connected, how well can using both joysticks as a twin stick shooter work.

Allow the option to still use the original Winky sprite.

Put a barrier or sub room inside a room that requires a key be retrieved from another room. Randomly drop the key at the start of the floor into a random room.

Random teleport traps that teleport randomly to another room. Make it a different kind of teleport trap that is sometimes a required element to get in and out a room with a blocked area (teleport from a certain room to another and back.)

Good ideas so far! :)

Yeah, I've tackle the idea of making it a twin stick shooter ;)

Those graphics look really great, but if it was me doing this, I wouldn't upgrade the graphics this way. I would keep the same kind of minimalistic graphics, and spend all of the ROM space on new rooms with new types of hazards for the player to tackle.

But that's just me. :)

• Like 2

Those graphics look really great, but if it was me doing this, I wouldn't upgrade the graphics this way. I would keep the same kind of minimalistic graphics, and spend all of the ROM space on new rooms with new types of hazards for the player to tackle.

What about having both? ;)

• Like 2

Can you mention which platforms Venture DX will appear on? :)

What I love about Venture:

Treasue collecting

Killing the different monsters

What I'd like to see:

Rooms with more traps

More monsters

Boss battles!

Edit: Love the graphics, btw! ;)

As it is right now; SNES

But it's defintely possible for NES with some minor changes

• Like 2

The thing I hate most about venture was when you finished all treasures it would only do that last set of rooms again. It should start over with maybe a special all levels finished treasure showing on the screen with different one for each time you finish all the levels.

However, Now what I am most pissed about is that you are not doing it for CV first which should be mandatory. :mad: :mad:

It looks great!!

I do want to point out that the monsters actually dodge your arrows in the arcade game, unlike the console versions. The monster sprites have 4 frames of death animation. That's how I found out when doing a better version of Venture for the Intellivision before I converted the engine to Towering Inferno.

I did want to do a Venture remake and the mock-up is what I visualizing what I wanted the game to look like.

Edited by Kiwi

That's how I found out when doing a better version of Venture for the Intellivision before I converted the engine to Towering Inferno.

I did want to do a Venture remake and the mock-up is what I visualizing what I wanted the game to look like.

Funny, me too...without the Towering Inferno part ;)

I'd also add hidden rooms and/or a new room that shows up on the map if you do the rooms on a floor in a certain order.

I would love to see a Coleco , Sega Master or SNES version..

How about the ability to swap between old school and new graphics or at least having a "Retro" room / level haha...

As much as I hated the decaying monsters killing you, they are major gameplay, I would like to see factors that can change dead monster decay. I did like that if you shoot a decaying monster it will start the decay process all over again.

How about one level that is inspired retro "Berzerk" with the graphics changed for that one level and Evil Otto as the old school Winky? Its amazing how similar those games were in terms of concepts and level design. I mean the hall dragon was evil Otto... hummm.. I guess Venture is Exidy's take on Berzerk.. haha

The control in Venture was pretty wonky, move the controller to point your bow and arrow first, then delay... then move, that control was crazy but also part of the game, I guess I would think keeping that would be important to me as it made me think of a different strategy to move at times.

More rooms that do not have enemies but are just obstacles, the Diamond room was one of my faves in the old game.

How about a 2 player simultaneous that lets you hit each other to stun the other player? Ha ha, I would love to play that with my friends..

In any case looking forward to whatever you do decide, as that looks like a great project!!

• Like 1

Totally agree! Love the low-res graphics, which have attained classic status. How else can you account for the fact that they were replicated exactingly and lovingly on the A8 port?

But if you're going to update the gfx, can I ask that you keep Winky as a pixelated smiley bowhead? That Must Not be changed. :)

• 2 months later...