IGNORED

Venture DX

retroillucid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If this is still a current/future project, I'd definitely be interested in snagging a copy when it's ready - I was quite fond of Venture back on the Colecovision, and have been on a bit of a SNES kick recently.

The game is still in development. :) Collectorvision is working on quite a few projects at the moment, which is probably why they haven’t released an update on Venture DX.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Serguei2 said:

It's a mixed bag of zelda and venture.

How about screenshots where you can choose a room to go in.

Well, I always thought Zelda was kind of similar to Venture when it was first released
Venture was really one of the first to do this kind of gameplay

Sure, here's wip of Level 1 ''map''  

level 1a.png

23 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Well, I always thought Zelda was kind of similar to Venture when it was first released
Venture was really one of the first to do this kind of gameplay

Sure, here's wip of Level 1 ''map''  

level 1a.png

Thanks

It looks more like a remake from the original game than actually a new game.

It reminds me Space Venture, a venture hack.

Also, I'm thinking to make my own venture game with a twist.

I said that in this topic: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/290197-space-venture/page/4/

5 minutes ago, Serguei2 said:

Thanks

It looks more like a remake from the original game than actually a new game.

It reminds me Space Venture, a venture hack.

Also, I'm thinking to make my own venture game with a twist.

I said that in this topic: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/290197-space-venture/page/4/

The game will contains all 3 original Levels plus at least 6 new ones
All graphics are updated and we're adding more features to it as well 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, phattyboombatty said:

Looks very cool. I like the font graphics and the 3D shading effects. I’m interested in a new or updated musical track, and power-ups would really enhance the game. 

You're bringing a good point here that I fail to mention before; the music

The idea is to have all of the original tunes remixed, by wich I mean having something other than a 5-10 seconds loop track.
Don't get me wrong, the original music is pretty sweet, but I think we can do awhole better with the Phoenix
We also plan to have more original music tracks as well 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/11/2019 at 6:56 PM, retroillucid said:

The game will contains all 3 original Levels plus at least 6 new ones
All graphics are updated and we're adding more features to it as well 

On 7/13/2019 at 9:11 PM, retroillucid said:

You're bringing a good point here that I fail to mention before; the music

The idea is to have all of the original tunes remixed, by wich I mean having something other than a 5-10 seconds loop track.
Don't get me wrong, the original music is pretty sweet, but I think we can do awhole better with the Phoenix
We also plan to have more original music tracks as well 

Its been a while since I played Venture in the arcades, or on the Coleco for that matter. 

Were their only 3 levels in the arcade game, or was that the ColecoVision version?  What I'm trying to understand is if you are making an arcade accurate version of Venture, an enhanced ColecoVision version, or a little bit of both. 

Also, any ETA on this game?

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
On 11/26/2019 at 11:02 AM, 128Kgames said:

Its been a while since I played Venture in the arcades, or on the Coleco for that matter. 

Were their only 3 levels in the arcade game, or was that the ColecoVision version?  What I'm trying to understand is if you are making an arcade accurate version of Venture, an enhanced ColecoVision version, or a little bit of both. 

Thanks!

Both the Arcade and ColecoVision version have 3 levels (each contains 4 rooms each) 

UPDATE: 
We are now moving foward with this game!
This project is now dubbed as: Venture SuperGame

Venture Super Game.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Great news, J-F, especially with everything going on right now. 

Venture was one of the first titles I picked up back in the day when the ColecoVision was first released, and was one of my favorite titles.

Very much looking forward to this release.

• Like 1

Now all phoenix games also work with colecovision, how about colecovision version from those screenshots below?

On 7/11/2019 at 4:21 PM, retroillucid said:

Here's a ''more up to date'' works in progress of Venture DX

It was first going to be developped for SNES, but it's now going to be a Phoenix exclusive game

Don't hesitate to share your ideas on how the game should be or what it should have :)

1- Goblin Room.png

NES VentureDX.png

On 11/26/2019 at 10:02 AM, 128Kgames said:

Depends how fast I work. ;) Is that a good answer?  ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Serguei2 said:

Now all phoenix games also work with colecovision, how about colecovision version from those screenshots below?

My goal is to get it working both using Colecovision hardware and F18A hardware using that graphic style. F18A would be interesting if I can get it working.  I'm missing the hardware for that now, but I'll worry about completing the game first then work on F18A graphics. 

I'm experimenting with sprite graphics like how Dig Dug does it but with 2 sprites producing 3 color sprites.   The treasure sprites,

Treasuremulticolor.png.f0f230cf16c0d2f272a4dcd865a8dce4.png

left Colecovision(BlueMSX), right F18A.

I'm planning to make this either 128KB or 256KB, depending how large the F18a graphics are.

Venture is one of the first game I played when I got the Colecovision about 10 years ago.  So I want to remake it for the Colecovision.  The enemies will have their 4 frames movement animation and the 4 frames death animation just like the arcade, which Colecovision version had to cut 1 frame of movement and 3 frames of death due to cartridge constraint(I think...).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Depends how fast I work. ;) Is that a good answer?  ?‍♂️

My goal is to get it working both using Colecovision hardware and F18A hardware using that graphic style. F18A would be interesting if I can get it working.  I'm missing the hardware for that now, but I'll worry about completing the game first then work on F18A graphics. 

I'm experimenting with sprite graphics like how Dig Dug does it but with 2 sprites producing 3 color sprites.   The treasure sprites,

Treasuremulticolor.png.f0f230cf16c0d2f272a4dcd865a8dce4.png

left Colecovision(BlueMSX), right F18A.

I'm planning to make this either 128KB or 256KB, depending how large the F18a graphics are.

Venture is one of the first game I played when I got the Colecovision about 10 years ago.  So I want to remake it for the Colecovision.  The enemies will have their 4 frames movement animation and the 4 frames death animation just like the arcade, which Colecovision version had to cut 1 frame of movement and 3 frames of death due to cartridge constraint(I think...).

Thanks Kiwi.

I don't know 2 sprites could make 3 colors. Is F18a tricks?

Sorry for off topic, guys.

Sample.png.43d9f49bc1d3c36a4f8be6b0917c6128.png

I do the sprites like so in CV Sprite 2.  Left sprite 2 is over sprite 3, right is sprite 3 over 2.  Any pixel matches the 1st and 2nd sprite will be the middle color, "3rd color". 

void RotationSprites(void){

if(flicker==0){
i=0;
for(ID=0;ID!=7;ID++){
sprites[2+i].x=objectx[ID];
sprites[2+i].y=objecty[ID];
sprites[2+i].pattern=objectp[ID];
sprites[2+i].colour=objectc1[ID];
sprites[3+i].x=objectx[ID];
sprites[3+i].y=objecty[ID];
sprites[3+i].pattern=objectp[ID]+4;
sprites[3+i].colour=objectc2[ID];
i+=2;
}

flicker=1;
goto flick;}

if(flicker==1){
i=0;
for(ID=0;ID!=7;ID++){
sprites[3+i].pattern=objectp[ID];
sprites[3+i].colour=objectc1[ID];
sprites[2+i].pattern=objectp[ID]+4;
sprites[2+i].colour=objectc2[ID];
i+=2;
}

flicker=0;
goto flick;
}
flick:
}

This is a rolled up loop of 7 objects, omitting the hero and arrow and the flicker 2 and 3 cases.  You can see in flicker==0 that the sprite[2] is over sprite[3]. then jumping over the flicker 1.  Then next delay(1); flicker==1 get taken. Now sprite[3] is over sprite[2].   Doing this will also takes up a lot of sprite slots too.  So each sprite table are loaded per room since there's always 1 monster and 1 treasure per room.  Like treasure chest and skeleton will only load in room 3, Apple and snake will only load in room 2.  The treasure are seperated from the monster sprites so I load 2 tables per room to the specific spot because the animation frame are always the same slot 42-63.  Treasure's loaded 40.  38 and below are the hall monster(14), arrows(8), and the hero Winky(if that his name if I remembered correctly.[16]).

Dig dug prototype did this with 2 sprites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_IwYEpJKA0

Not a good video since it's 30, but you can see it the individual sprites.  I believe the video on the longplay site is 60.

13 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Sample.png.43d9f49bc1d3c36a4f8be6b0917c6128.png

I do the sprites like so in CV Sprite 2.  Left sprite 2 is over sprite 3, right is sprite 3 over 2.  Any pixel matches the 1st and 2nd sprite will be the middle color, "3rd color". 

void RotationSprites(void){

if(flicker==0){
i=0;
for(ID=0;ID!=7;ID++){
sprites[2+i].pattern=objectp[ID];
sprites[2+i].colour=objectc1[ID];
sprites[3+i].pattern=objectp[ID]+4;
sprites[3+i].colour=objectc2[ID];
i+=2;
}

flicker=1;
goto flick;}

if(flicker==1){
i=0;
for(ID=0;ID!=7;ID++){
sprites[3+i].pattern=objectp[ID];
sprites[3+i].colour=objectc1[ID];
sprites[2+i].pattern=objectp[ID]+4;
sprites[2+i].colour=objectc2[ID];
i+=2;
}

flicker=0;
goto flick;
}
flick:
}

This is a rolled up loop of 7 objects, omitting the hero and arrow and the flicker 2 and 3 cases.  You can see in flicker==0 that the sprite[2] is over sprite[3]. then jumping over the flicker 1.  Then next delay(1); flicker==1 get taken. Now sprite[3] is over sprite[2].   Doing this will also takes up a lot of sprite slots too.  So each sprite table are loaded per room since there's always 1 monster and 1 treasure per room.  Like treasure chest and skeleton will only load in room 3, Apple and snake will only load in room 2.  The treasure are seperated from the monster sprites so I load 2 tables per room to the specific spot because the animation frame are always the same slot 42-63.  Treasure's loaded 40.  38 and below are the hall monster(14), arrows(8), and the hero Winky(if that his name if I remembered correctly.[16]).

Dig dug prototype did this with 2 sprites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_IwYEpJKA0

Not a good video since it's 30, but you can see it the individual sprites.  I believe the video on the longplay site is 60.

I didn't try the code yet but I played dig dug prototype.

It's nothing but flashing sprites. I can't see three colors.

I used bluemsx, coolcv and colem. Same result.

At the end of Flapee Byrd, https://atariage.com/forums/topic/264678-flapee-byrd-colecovision-roms/?tab=comments#comment-3745978

I used flickering sprites to merge colors that not possible for the Colecovision for the medal screen because it has too few colors.  Platinum medal, I flickered the gray color white and gray to make it different than the silver medal.  It'll show up as scanlines on LCD TV.  

I really liked the look of your version of Flappy Bird, there were a lot of nice graphical touches (like who, besides you, would have made the pipes have more than one solid color?).  I look forward to what you can do with Venture, one of my favorite CV games!

• Like 1