IGNORED

Anybody have any of these silly records?

CPUWIZ

There's a Yars' Revenge one too. I linked to a bunch of these the other day. I think most if not all are on YouTube.

It's funny how certain kinds of media just don't exist anymore. No one is making short radio dramas for kids based on Minecraft as far as I know. Just like how there are very few movie novelizations now that we have home video shortly after theatrical releases.

Speaking of which, the Alan Dean Foster novelization of The Force Awakens is truly wretched and I'd prefer it never existed.

I was just checking these out on ebay after reading this, and for some odd reason the "people were also interested in" thumbs for the asteroids adio book were all album covers with nude women. Not sure what this says about asteroids fans, especially considering its a kids' book.

• Like 1

YouTube is probably the quickest way to get "just the records," but the Retroist podcast has a bunch of episodes about these as well, including talk about the games that inspired them. They're well produced and entertaining. This is where I first heard of the Atari records, as it seems I missed them the first time around.

Asteroids

Missile Command

Yars Revenge

• Like 1

I was just checking these out on ebay after reading this, and for some odd reason the "people were also interested in" thumbs for the asteroids adio book were all album covers with nude women. Not sure what this says about asteroids fans, especially considering its a kids' book.

I guess that stuff sells. I was looking at some old game cartridges and found a seller that displayed everything like this

post-2410-0-41297000-1498787583_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I dont anymore, but I did at one time have the 3rd pacman record in the op image

it was shit, and I was of that era where we had a very nice record player, so it rarely got played, cause even when I was a child a sears am/fm boombox with a basic play/record cassette player was cheap enough to give to me on my 6th or 7th birthday ... and a bare bones who gives a crap record player was out of vogue, the neighbors down the street from me had one we would play it on (cause they had older kids)

side note that got replaced a few years later with a cd + 2x tape deck bookshelf sony and that sears got sent to the garage next to my hackin bench... 2017 its in my own garage hanging off a couple screws in the wall next to my hackin bench ... though I doubt the belts in the tape player are worth a crap, its fine for radio

Edited by Osgeld

I have a couple of the Pac-Man story books on 45, LP and cassette. Even an LP picture disc or two. Never tried to track them all down, just bought if I happened to see them at a flea market or something.

Have never seen the Atari, Music Machine or Data Age LP's in the wild though.

I have:

Records – Atari record & book sets (45RPM/7")complete set

Asteroids record + book

Missile Command record + book

Star Raiders record + book

Super Breakout record + book

Yars’ Revenge record + book

Mindscape by Data Age (flexi disc)

Records – large format LPs

The Amazing Adventures of Pac-Man

Asteroids

Missile Command

Pac-Man Fever (LP and CD re-issue)

Yars’ Revenge

I have never personally owned the Music Machine album, but I do remember listening to it at school, ca. 1982. If memory serves, the music was rather cloying.

I had a small handful of the book and record sets (mainly gifts from my Grandmother) when I was even younger, but none of the Atari titles -- mostly Disney stuff.

I just watched the Asteroids youtube video linked in this thread and, y'know, I thought that was pretty good. It's a neat way to expand the universe of these games.

But now I want to play Asteroids with a RPC-60A4 with magnetic bubble memories, hypserspace shields, and photon torpedoes...