IGNORED

Help me design a new Atari CX-1000 arcade joystick!

Wyluli Wolf

I'm looking for ideas on a new design for the Atari Pro CX-1000. You can see my current designs HERE

As you can see we have Atari boxing, Q-bert, Pac-man, Pitfall! and Donkey Kong. I'm currently working up a design for Berzerk.

So tell me, what game would you like to see made into the next Atari Pro joystick?

Well, the problem with the original Atari joysticks is that you hold it in one hand while putting tons of pressure on that hand from the other hand. Using the thumb of that hand to press the fire button just makes it worse. What you need is a way to hold the joystick down, either on a table or on your lap, while pressing the fire button with the index finger. I envision a joystick with a rectangular base, the stick on the right, and the fire button on the left front. This way, you hold the joystick down with the palm of your hand and the index finger hooks over the edge to press the button. There's no pressure on the hand, so no hand cramps. Call it the Xucaen grip. ;-)

i guess it would be neat to have the rare games easily playable on a tv

like some of the supercharger games like rabbit transit, segafrogger, music machine, color corrected pacman

He's just decorating the joystick casing... not making plug-n-plays.

• Like 1

Well, the problem with the original Atari joysticks is that you hold it in one hand while putting tons of pressure on that hand from the other hand. Using the thumb of that hand to press the fire button just makes it worse. What you need is a way to hold the joystick down, either on a table or on your lap, while pressing the fire button with the index finger. I envision a joystick with a rectangular base, the stick on the right, and the fire button on the left front. This way, you hold the joystick down with the palm of your hand and the index finger hooks over the edge to press the button. There's no pressure on the hand, so no hand cramps. Call it the Xucaen grip. ;-)

It's really not an issue. These work in your lap or on a table top, right or left handed. If you try and pick it up in one hand while thumbing the buttons instead of using your pointer and middle finger, you're doing it wrong... :P

oh well you shouldn't be looking at the stick you got to be looking at the screen

Gotta be functional AND look good on a shelf! :D

As for the OP, frogger theme was a good suggestion. A lot of fans of this game. Galaga too. Perhaps Ms Pacman? Those class of '81 machines don't sell themselves, and both had solid 7800 releases. Also a Sonic themed SMS controller.

What about Mario Bros Arcade? I know it's Nintendo but it so was Donkey Kong. Kinda got the "grandfather" license for the 7800. :P

Also I might add the paint job and build quality on these is really solid.

• Like 2

Neat joysticks.

Unfortunately a bit high priced for me.

I'd simply grab an inexpensive Jakks Pacific, or similar, plug'n'play system and rewire it to a DB9 extension cable.

They have many fun choices to pick from. From SpongeBob to Disney Princess, and more...

Even the Radica Space Invaders is a really good candidate. This is my next rebuild project.

Some great suggestions here. Thanks for the vid! :thumbsup:

It's really not an issue. These work in your lap or on a table top, right or left handed. If you try and pick it up in one hand while thumbing the buttons instead of using your pointer and middle finger, you're doing it wrong... :P

Gotta be functional AND look good on a shelf! :D

As for the OP, frogger theme was a good suggestion. A lot of fans of this game. Galaga too. Perhaps Ms Pacman? Those class of '81 machines don't sell themselves, and both had solid 7800 releases. Also a Sonic themed SMS controller.

What about Mario Bros Arcade? I know it's Nintendo but it so was Donkey Kong. Kinda got the "grandfather" license for the 7800. :P

Also I might add the paint job and build quality on these is really solid.