IGNORED

How much are you willing to pay for a game?

I believe Pinbot and High Speed used a special MMC3 variant that got assogned it's own mapper. Both games share the same engine which split the display between the flippers and upper field. Same mapper chip but wired differently compared to other standard PCBs.

I think you're right too, like a A or B revision of the chip because of the odd nature of those two games. I used to have them but I just can't enjoy them anymore because they took suck stupid gameplay liberties with on board creatures blocking the regular game. Those aside they're really solid low color copies that even use the DPCM to nail down recorded audio too.

And yes the Famicom has a heap of one or two off games for stand alone mappers which is why I didn't go there as that would take some time.

• Like 1

I think you're right too, like a A or B revision of the chip because of the odd nature of those two games. I used to have them but I just can't enjoy them anymore because they took suck stupid gameplay liberties with on board creatures blocking the regular game. Those aside they're really solid low color copies that even use the DPCM to nail down recorded audio too.

And yes the Famicom has a heap of one or two off games for stand alone mappers which is why I didn't go there as that would take some time.

Heh. I don't mind the bonus stages in High Speed so much but the ball gobblers are annoying as f*** (though there's a trick to nudging at the right moment to avoid losing balls) and completely breaks the pacing of trying to unlock actual table goals. Also with the money bags and guns of which three collected opens safe or ride helicopters, then wisked away to bonus game where you interfere with race cars on a closed circuit track by crashing balls into them, wtf? I've played both tables on Pinball Arcade for comparison to how the real thing operates. Physics was stellar for 8-bit game engine, definitely the most realistic physics in the NES/FC library (worst being Pinball Quest - I own it because I collect everything regarding pinball sims, but boy that one stinks). Pinbot took some liberties as well but adheres to the arcade game moreso than HS. I used a Genie with Pinbot once upon a time to play indefinitely (infinite balls) and as you rank through the planets, weird stuff happens. First a vanilla palette swap, then bizarre physics with triangular balls! Extremely rare I imagine anyone gets that far without cheating though... :P

I think Rebooteroids is the most I've ever spent on a game. IIRC it was in the region of £80 (a little over $100 currently) once it arrived in the UK. It' smarted a bit, but I can understand the expense of limited run homebrew cartridges with that level of presentation, so I accept it. Also most of the money (customs/postage charges aside) go to the makers of the game, so it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Scalping however, as is common with the retro cartridge market, I can do without. I wouldn't push to £90 for a bare cart of Conker's Bad Fur Day and Crono Trigger. That's just taking the piss. Indeed that's what pushed me to buy the Everdrive 64 and SD2SNES flash carts. Just to play things like those on actual hardware. I think my limit on carts was £50 and I was also only buying bare carts because of storage limitations. I was really only missing the big hitters in terms of cost also, which I ended up getting through the WiiU virtual console. It's not the same, but I do like the pause and return anytime aspect of it for the RPGs though.

For disc based stuff my limits are a lot lower. I really struggled to pay £45 for Breath of the Wild on the Wii U. I rarely buy games on release and usually wait until they've been fairly heavily discounted. But I expected Nintendo's usual low print runs to cause the prices to go the other way on that one, so bit the bullet. Stuff for the PS4, I wait until it's less than £30 if I really want it, or I just wait until it's in the £15 range if I'm not as bothered.

Older games again, depends on the console. I'm filling out the Dreamcast collection at the moment and I've just bought a load at less than a tenner each. I'd probably go to £15 on those, mainly because the UK cases are utter, utter shit and I end up having to buy numerous copies of ChuChu Rocket on top of these purchases to get some more unbroken cases. Put it this way, out of a batch of 6 games that have arrived for that this week, only one case is intact and in good condition... Terrible design. I really wish someone would design a robust replacement. I'd be up for a box load of those bad boys just to get rid of the shitty PAL cases. It's not like I can go to CEX these days either to buy a load of FiFA games for 50p each to replace broken cases like I do with all the other disc based consoles.

Most other stuff is the same. I go for cheap as chips where I can. Odd games I might push to around £25 if I really want them. But it's rare now as most of my collections are pretty much where I want them now.

Edited by juansolo

Heh. I don't mind the bonus stages in High Speed so much but the ball gobblers are annoying as f*** (though there's a trick to nudging at the right moment to avoid losing balls) and completely breaks the pacing of trying to unlock actual table goals. Also with the money bags and guns of which three collected opens safe or ride helicopters, then wisked away to bonus game where you interfere with race cars on a closed circuit track by crashing balls into them, wtf? I've played both tables on Pinball Arcade for comparison to how the real thing operates. Physics was stellar for 8-bit game engine, definitely the most realistic physics in the NES/FC library (worst being Pinball Quest - I own it because I collect everything regarding pinball sims, but boy that one stinks). Pinbot took some liberties as well but adheres to the arcade game moreso than HS. I used a Genie with Pinbot once upon a time to play indefinitely (infinite balls) and as you rank through the planets, weird stuff happens. First a vanilla palette swap, then bizarre physics with triangular balls! Extremely rare I imagine anyone gets that far without cheating though... :P

Ball gobblers, that's a good set of words for it. I'd think the coder who decided that was one too for wrecking that table with them, same with the same feature worm things on Pin-Bot. If you exclude those the flow works, physics surprisingly good for the NES, audio was solid, all around nice just low color is all. Pinball Arcade is a good feel for it, and I have a real Pin-Bot table so I could bench it off that too. I couldn't tolerate losing repeatedly to made up crap on the screen that shouldn't be there so I got rid of them a couple years back. Rollerball I think was the most fantastic one of the lot if only because of those annoyances as it plays quite well, even as limited as it is the original Pinball stands up ok too.

• Like 1

Wow bah who needs a down payment on a house or like a car or anything when you can get a sealed verified piece of crap that was rebranded not just once but twice to sell a lousy power pad exercise device that fooled almost no one so it vanished from the market. :) GO for it, be that fool. Be the envy of all the nerds on specific Nintendo site. Do it, you know you want to. Let buying a $30K~ video game be that one highlight of your life, that 15minutes of fame to later regret on that death bed.

• Like 3

Wow bah who needs a down payment on a house or like a car or anything when you can get a sealed verified piece of crap that was rebranded not just once but twice to sell a lousy power pad exercise device that fooled almost no one so it vanished from the market. icon_smile.gif GO for it, be that fool. Be the envy of all the nerds on specific Nintendo site. Do it, you know you want to. Let buying a $30K~ video game be that one highlight of your life, that 15minutes of fame to later regret on that death bed.

What if the winner turns out to be someone who already has one or more houses paid off and many cars?

Donate to charity, or to some other philanthropic cause. Better the world in some way. $27k+ for a sealed game cannot be justified.

What if the person who is receiving the $27k+ turns out to be someone who doesn't already have a house paid off and needs a car? My point is that charity or other philanthropic causes aren't the only things the rich can do to better the world because that $27k+ is still going out of their wallets and into the market to better the world in some way.

What if the person who is receiving the $27k+ turns out to be someone who doesn't already have a house paid off and needs a car? My point is that charity or other philanthropic causes aren't the only things the rich can do to better the world because that $27k+ is still going out of their wallets and into the market to better the world in some way.

"What if"? But what if he's a serial killer? Since you can't know, there's no point in going down this silly route.

I'm not being silly. I'm being serious.

In that case, so what? The charity is still doing good. Besides, not all charity deals with feeding people.

And I seriously cannot believe that you're seriously comparing buying a video game worth $25k+ to donating to charity. You've got some fucked up justifications going on there.

Charity my ass. Majority of money donated to charity's lines some douchebags pockets. Non-profit is a BS term. How can you consider non-profit when people bank over 6 figures and something like $.40 of every dollar actually goes to the intended purpose "if that"! I have seen where some charity's only like $.20/dollar actually go to the intended purpose.

I don't donate to anybody except Willmont Cancer center/Gollisano Children's center. The rest of these no profit living on yacht charity's can kiss my ass.

• Like 1

For new games, I've yet to find a reason to buy any of these "collector editions" that have been sold in more recent years. So basically I don't really like paying above 60$ Thankfully Prime gives discounts.

For Retro, I really don't buy games that I know I'm not going to play, so really I can't see spending any more than 50-80$ and even that's kinda pushing it.

Charity my ass. Majority of money donated to charity's lines some douchebags pockets. Non-profit is a BS term. How can you consider non-profit when people bank over 6 figures and something like $.40 of every dollar actually goes to the intended purpose "if that"! I have seen where some charity's only like $.20/dollar actually go to the intended purpose.

I don't donate to anybody except Willmont Cancer center/Gollisano Children's center. The rest of these no profit living on yacht charity's can kiss my ass.

"Not my charity..."

My wife a does a cancer race in memory of her brother and every year it pisses me off just thinking about it. They pay some douchebag $900 to do race timing. Entry fee to the race is only like $18. That means you need 50 race entries just to pay the f--r before Willmont even sees a penny and the race usually only gets about 125 people. Most people donate on top of the race entry and 100% of that goes to Willmont, but man I just get pissed off every year.

I can't even talk about this race with my wife as it irks me too damn much. She lets her parents do to much and her father is heavy on keeping social ties. He "needs" to stay buddy buddy w/certain people so this ass hat banks $900 for 4 hrs of his time. I try to talk her into buying race clocks and doing it ourselves but not worth the hassle.

Her father also pays out of his pocket like $1500 to get shirts made.... I just want to cover my eyes. It's such a f^&&^N disaster and waste of funds. It's not my race so I stay out of it.

My wife a does a cancer race in memory of her brother and every year it pisses me off just thinking about it. They pay some douchebag $900 to do race timing. Entry fee to the race is only like $18. That means you need 50 race entries just to pay the f--r before Willmont even sees a penny and the race usually only gets about 125 people. Most people donate on top of the race entry and 100% of that goes to Willmont, but man I just get pissed off every year.

I can't even talk about this race with my wife as it irks me too damn much. She lets her parents do to much and her father is heavy on keeping social ties. He "needs" to stay buddy buddy w/certain people so this ass hat banks $900 for 4 hrs of his time. I try to talk her into buying race clocks and doing it ourselves but not worth the hassle.

Her father also pays out of his pocket like $1500 to get shirts made.... I just want to cover my eyes. It's such a f^&&^N disaster and waste of funds. It's not my race so I stay out of it.

Dang , you are not gonna be able to talk soon after biting your tongue for so long :grin:

In that case, so what? The charity is still doing good. Besides, not all charity deals with feeding people.

And I seriously cannot believe that you're seriously comparing buying a video game worth $25k+ to donating to charity. You've got some fucked up justifications going on there.

I'm comparing them to both having the potential of "Better the world in some way." in that the money towards a game could be going towards something good on the receiving end. The complete in box Air Raid is a good example. The seller said they were going to use the money to buy their daughter a house. So, what was disposable income to one became a home to another. That is bettering the world in some way.

Anyway, I'm not using any of this as a justification for buying the game. My justification is that the money and the game are the property of both parties involved and, therefore, they are already justified in exchanging property.

• Like 2

Sour grapes :P If someone like Bill Gates pays 50 grand for an old vintage tire or something it affects him as much as us spending 50 cents. :lol: Some people just have money. You make the world a better place in many ways both large and small... but not all of your cash has to go to it :)