IGNORED

How much are you willing to pay for a game?

I dont get the hate, someone had the means to buy something they wanted, so they did, whats the problem

People buy expensive crap all day every day, I dont see too many threads getting wound up about someone buying a F150 and how that money would have done xyz

• Like 1

I dont get the hate, someone had the means to buy something they wanted, so they did, whats the problem

People buy expensive crap all day every day, I dont see too many threads getting wound up about someone buying a F150 and how that money would have done xyz

If someone bought a new F150 for $1M, I'd also say that was stupid.

• Like 1

I think paying 40 grand for one is stupid, but its not my money or concern

I don't get this. It was posted on the forum, are we not allowed to have anything but positive opinions? I mean, it's not like anyone here is actually going out of their way to tell that guy he's throwing away his money.

People piss money away every day. If you drink that money could have gone to Charity. If you smoke that money could have gone to charity. That new pool you got, that money could have gone to charity. You could have ate PB sandwiches instead of having steak and that extra money could have gone to charity.

You know what's really funny that charity money could have actually gone to charity!

Let it go. People spend their money how they want. You don't know maybe that person has already donated a few million this year to charity?

• Like 3

Also note that I haven't passed judgement either way. Don't care. Just saying that it's more than I would/could spend on a game since that's what the original topic was.

But I do wish I could just stumble upon a case of these in some random thrift shop or whatever... unfortunately it would take more than a single game to erase my debt...

For me, it is about a very specific set of games. I collect for the TI-99 primarily, and there are only a few games I would spend more than $30 on.

I spent $65 on a Henhouse cartridge, and I spent $50 on a boxed Ambulance cartridge. Both are "Funware" games, and both are nostalgic for me, as I had them as a kid.

Now... if I could find the boxes for my Funware collection, I could see spending a bit of dough on them. Why? Because I am dumb and I have always wanted a complete boxed set of Funware games. :) I have the entire original set (including the hyper-rare Video Vegas cartridge) but only one box.

I can play all these games on a multi-cart, but I (for some dumb reason) want to swap cartridges for my Funware games. All others don't matter that much to me.

So, to sum it up, for me it isn't really about how much a game is worth on the market-- it is more about what I am willing to pay at a given time to feed some stupid need to "have it."

My budget determines what a game is worth. If someone had a box for Video Vegas for sale at, say, $150, I would think long and hard about it, but would ultimately pass due to budget constraints.

• Like 2

More fuel for the fire... these two auctions on Goodwill...

CIB Earthbound currently at $760. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Super-Nintendo-Earthbound-LNIP-5-9777-41102352.html

and

Sealed LoZ: OoT currently at $241. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Sealed-NIP-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time-5-9779-41102349.html

Hey, at least these are good games!

I think paying 40 grand for one is stupid, but its not my money or concern

I agree right now with my current weekly salary. However, if I was Jeff Bezos, then suddenly over-spending on 42k doesn't make a difference.

• Like 2

I thrift primarily. I probably wouldn't spend more than $25 for a single game. The most I ever paid for anything not in the current or previous gen or new was $70 and that was for a lot containing a Colecovioson and 20 games and an Intellivision with 40. Not a bad deal..

Much of my collection has been amassed over the years from thriving. Do I have a lot of really valuable stuff? No. I don't have money for that, though I've had one or two lucky finds here and there.. Have I spent far less than the value of my collection? Yes.

• Like 1

Long story shortened I'd spend...

$250 for anything that has Borderlands in the title

$150 for anything with Elder Scrolls in the title

$100 for a brand new game current generation and only for a collectors edition.

$75 for a retro game or a game from a previous generation

My view on what a video game is worth is one of relativity. The old saying that "something is only worth what you can get for it" might hold true when someone says "this shirt cost $50, but I got it for $19.95"... it isn't a $50 shirt then, at least in my mind.

But what about availability? Once I was trying to buy something on eBay (this predates auto-bidding) I was attempting to manually snipe a game I wanted... I had no idea of its value, it was just an uncommon boxed PC DOS game I wanted. (a DooM-alike game with 3D Glasses)

I bid in the last minute or so (modem days, couldn't cut it as close as current times)... I was outbid. I raised my bid again. Outbid. I raised my bid to say $35... Outbid. Out of curiosity, I raised my bid to $150... Outbid, and auction ended. WTH?! I contacted the winning bidder (because you could back then) and they had put over $1000 on it. Was it worth that? To them it was because they wanted it for an unusual reason like collecting 3D Glasses games or something and this was literally their last one to get. I didn't really understand until my game wanted list began to dwindle and rarity started to claw at my desired pay levels.

Examples of why value is mostly relative... neurosis and "what we want". I like the game of DooM for PC... and I really like its add-ons like D!Zone series. I like boxed First Person Shooters pre-Windows... so I get down to all but one of my desired D!Zones (I am still missing one more in the series actually, but I have only seen it on others collection). They started getting rare, like less than one a year showing on eBay years ago. I don't remember which one it was, but I wanted it off my wanted list. I wanted the series complete... so its value goes up more. It doesn't matter if it has always sold for $30 if you can't encounter one... so its worth is relative now to my collection. I don't think I ended up paying a whole lot for it, but I did snipe it really high.

th_PC_DooM%202016%20Edit_zpsxu2zrmxa.jpg

Another example would be one from a few years ago when I wanted some game... I offered someone a rather high sum of money for this really rare game they didn't have a buy it now on. They didn't want to end the auction because they couldn't be sure I would pay if the changed it. It went for very little and I was high-bidder anyway, but I the point is that I was willing to pay a relatively large amount for the game. (say $150+) Is it worth that? Probably only to me.

Last example was recent... Deer Avenger 4... that is SO hard to find boxed, and Big Boxed. I had not seen it big-boxed for over five years when one finally turned up. I loaded my auto-sniper pretty darn high on it... I don't remember what, but it was less than $300.

Why was it worth so much? It isn't really... it is just relative.

This is why it held so much value to me... wanting to complete this. (Ok, i don't have Deer Avenger: Stag Party add-on, but I am not pushing that one really)

th_08-14-2015%20Deer%20Hunter%20Stuff_zp

This is an older image... the Deer Avenger 1 and 2 are in the upper right... three was not up at the time I suppose, but now I have all four of them.

If I want something, I quantify how much I am willing to pay for it... one of the main ways is "how much enjoyment" will I get from buying one item at greater expense, or many items of lesser expense. Then comes, how much do I have budgeted, and how many weeks of that budget are going to be worth "tying up"... if something else comes along after I have blown the budget, oh well, I don't get it, with few exceptions.

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

Hi all, I usually lurk around the Intellivision branch of the forum here, but I was exploring other areas and wanted to chime in.

Personally I've gone over $125 twice for intellivision games, and both have been newer home-brew games that were discontinued. In case you don't know, us INTV nuts are a bit crazy.

I routinely go over $60 for new homebrews, partly because they rarely go down in value... but I also want the producers of those games to keep making new games. If someone makes a new game and loses a good deal of money on printing, boxes, PCBs, etc then they'll stop. Part of collecting as a hobby is the social part of communicating with other collectors. When the scene 'dies', I doubt the hobby will be as fun to me as it is now.

My two cents.