IGNORED

Season 6 - The New HSC - Weeks 24/25 = More Fun With Alliteration!

S.BAZ

I really wanted to improve my Copter Commander score so I did what any sane, rational being would do: I stayed awake for days, drank gallons of coffee, and binge-watched every single episode of Airwolf on VHS. Then I played Copter Commander.

Bonus - Copter Commander: 963

post-56474-0-45461600-1499625316.png

A definite improvement! Of course the downside to all this is that during my sleep deprived psychosis, everyone I saw looked and spoke like Jan-Michael Vincent.

post-56474-0-30071100-1499625368.png

• Like 3

Cosmic Commuter :14589 (Yay, I'm participating. Good game but vames are long)
Crazy Climber 108200 (my least favorite tbis week)
Cosmic Creeps : 2100 (A bit clunky but I love it)
Copter Commander : 1182 (My favorite this week and I might get rocks thrown at me but it's more fun then Chopper Command)

I forgot to turn down the ISO on my cellphone for some pics. Copter command is hard to read but you can see a little notch on the left of the 8 you wouldn't see on a 6.

By the way, I haven't read the whole thread but am I the only one getting a screen roll in Copter command around 1175? A consistant bug? A feature? Both? (From looking at Oyama's video, this is a bug caused by the speed increase,it acts as if the game switched to pal format. Could anyone with an Harmony cart can tell me if they have the same bug please?)

One last thing, in Cosmic Creeps, if you're getting stuck around 6500-7500 it's probably because you think there is only one level, counter resets and you get your total between levels. (It was mentinned by someone else but for those not readinf the whole thread I repeating it.)

post-52810-0-24406000-1499663424_thumb.jpg

post-52810-0-13054500-1499663867_thumb.jpg

post-52810-0-04048900-1499664052_thumb.jpg

post-52810-0-97456400-1499664215_thumb.jpg

Edited by RaccoonyDave

S.Baz, I don't know how you want to deal with this (especially since it's only the bonus game) but I tested Copter Commander in Stella and it's very easy to use emulation advantage without knowing.

Here's what is going on.

On my 4-switch ntsc woody with an harmony cart, when the game picks up speed around 1175 pts, the screen rolls like crazy. Probably until you crash but it's hard to say unless someone manages to play like this for a bit.

In Stella with jitter/roll deactivated, the screen flashes once in a while but the game is otherwise working normally. I managed to do 2084 points on my first try (doesn't count since I used savestates to get to 1160 for testing purposes)

In Stella with jitter/roll activated with a recovery of 10 (the default value), the screen start rolling non-stop. I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as on a TV because I did a 1792 (also doesn't count.). Howerver, maybe it was because I was expecting it (Again, I need to get there again using my real atari.)

Edit: Further testing in Stella, setting recovery at 1 or at 20 instead of 10 doesn't produce a significant difference in my opinion. I'm heading towards my atari in the hopes of testing the roll while expecting it.

Edit 2:100% sure it's way worse on a real console than on Stella. By the way, new legit high score of 1186.

post-52810-0-03816700-1499670177_thumb.jpg

Edited by RaccoonyDave
  • Like 1

S.Baz, I don't know how you want to deal with this (especially since it's only the bonus game) but I tested Copter Commander in Stella and it's very easy to use emulation advantage without knowing.

Here's what is going on.

On my 4-switch ntsc woody with an harmony cart, when the game picks up speed around 1175 pts, the screen rolls like crazy. Probably until you crash but it's hard to say unless someone manages to play like this for a bit.

In Stella with jitter/roll deactivated, the screen flashes once in a while but the game is otherwise working normally. I managed to do 2084 points on my first try (doesn't count since I used savestates to get to 1160 for testing purposes)

In Stella with jitter/roll activated with a recovery of 10 (the default value), the screen start rolling non-stop. I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as on a TV because I did a 1792 (also doesn't count.). Howerver, maybe it was because I was expecting it (Again, I need to get there again using my real

What's the scanline count when the screen starts rolling? If it's going over 262 the game is taking too long between frames and that's why it's rolling.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

What's the scanline count when the screen starts rolling? If it's going over 262 the game is taking too long between frames and that's why it's rolling.

If you tell me how to check that, maybe I can find time to do it. But this would be more about debugging the game, or zimply understanding the programming of the game and VCS.

I'm more concerned about which way to play are considered legit and which aren't. It's only a few bonus points but I don't want to lose my place in the top 5 because I'm unlucky enough to have bought an harmony cart.

If you tell me how to check that, maybe I can find time to do it. But this would be more about debugging the game, or zimply understanding the programming of the game and VCS.

I'm more concerned about which way to play are considered legit and which aren't. It's only a few bonus points but I don't want to lose my place in the top 5 because I'm unlucky enough to have bought an harmony cart.

Get to the part of the game where the screen starts rolling and press the ~ key. Scanline count will be near the center at the top. My thinking is that if the game is unplayable because of a bug, it might make more sense to throw it out or consider the score maxed out at the point the screen starts to roll rather than try to make sure everyone is using the same Stella settings. I'll try to check the scanline count later as well, but so far I haven't made it that far in the game (only played it a couple of times though).

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

hmm, I guess we may have to call it a maxout at 1175 or thereabouts. for now I'll keep recording scores reported, but if using stella is a definite advantage automatically that doesn't seem fair.

note to future moderators: Let's not play Copter Commander any more xP

Cosmic Creeps: No improvement. I tried to like this game, but the demonic face creeps me out. The background sounds like demonic breathing. The cookie cutter Family Circus kids will just have to deal with the anthomorphic (sp?) slugs.

post-12607-0-11888000-1499829129_thumb.jpg

Cosmic Commuter: Not a bad game, but Slow by Activision standards.

post-12607-0-47828500-1499829150_thumb.jpg

Crazy Climber. Worth a deeper look. It takes a bit of strategy after awhile.

post-12607-0-07098300-1499829173.jpg

Copter Commander. Fun enough in small doses.

post-12607-0-29292000-1499829189.jpg