On 8/20/2019 at 10:27 AM, Shannon said:

You know.  When I first tried these a couple years back I was like... Meh.. but then recently I was trying to track down the "Donkey Kong Arcade" with enhanced sounds ( RMT ) mentioned in another thread and decided to give this another go.  I'd have to say I'm quite pleased.

I do have one question.  I grabbed an "Donkey Kong Arcade" executable from another thread (kjmann thread?) and I also grabbed the one from here named "DK_A8_RMT.xex" and I'm trying to figure out which one would be considered the most recent version.

Does anyone know?

The ROMs on page 1 should be the most recent.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2017 at 3:10 AM, darryl1970 said:

Atari 8-bit Computer RMT version (Updated sound) -- DK_A8_RMT.xex

Hi Darryl,

thanks for the RMT version. I found a small incompatibility in the hack. It assumes BOOT?($09)=$01 which is not guaranteed if the program is loaded from devices other than a DOS boot disk.

If possible, you should not use the memory locations $8/9/a/b/c/d at all as they have predefined meanings and usage in the OS and esp. the RESET process.

Bst regards, Peter.

16 hours ago, JAC! said:

Hi Darryl,

thanks for the RMT version. I found a small incompatibility in the hack. It assumes BOOT?($09)=$01 which is not guaranteed if the program is loaded from devices other than a DOS boot disk.

If possible, you should not use the memory locations $8/9/a/b/c/d at all as they have predefined meanings and usage in the OS and esp. the RESET process.

Bst regards, Peter.

It's in the original RMT version by Fandal and Kjmann and seemed to cause a problem with some xex loaders (e.g. Ultimate Cart) but not others (e.g. Atarimax). I was not sure what it was trying to achieve by using BOOT. From what I remember there were at least a couple of instances of it so the simplest fix seemed to be to set BOOT to 1 by adding it to the XEX just before the run:

On 11/16/2018 at 8:55 PM, playsoft said:

Same hack applied (so that it runs from the Ultimate Cart correctly).

DK_A8_RMT_$09.xex 26.87 kB · 243 downloads

19 hours ago, JAC! said:

Hi Darryl,

Bst regards, Peter.

Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, playsoft said:

It's in the original RMT version by Fandal and Kjmann and seemed to cause a problem with some xex loaders (e.g. Ultimate Cart) but not others (e.g. Atarimax). I was not sure what it was trying to achieve by using BOOT. From what I remember there were at least a couple of instances of it so the simplest fix seemed to be to set BOOT to 1 by adding it to the XEX just before the run:

Thanks! So, should I add this to the thread as an Ultimate Cart version?

Edited by darryl1970

So known problem with existing fix. Perfect. I remember older versions of RMT and other tools like G2F frequently had problems of this kind (using reserved addresses). Also it is a difference between 5200 and 800/XL. If you are aware of that, everything is fine.

• 1 month later...

This is totally amazing I absolutely love the Popeye. I wanted to see if I can get permission to have Atari age make a cartridge just for me. Popeye is the original game that I got for the system back in the day I still on that same system in that same cartridge and it would love to have an updated version. Thank you

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...