IGNORED

Colossus Chess on Atarimania

MrFish

Hmmm,

I always thought that Colossus Chess 4.1 does not really exist, but is just a hacked/cracked version of Colossus 4.0 with added titlescreen (made with G2F or a similar gfx tool). Not sure about the source of Colossus 4.1, but there was a time when KAZ and other Atarians posted updated versions of old(er) A8 games at atarionline.pl with a new + colourfull titlescreen, maybe Colussus 4.0 was one of these games and it was simply renamed to 4.1 when the titlescreen was added ?!?

I always thought that Colossus Chess 4.1 does not really exist, but is just a hacked/cracked version of Colossus 4.0 with added titlescreen (made with G2F or a similar gfx tool). Not sure about the source of Colossus 4.1, but there was a time when KAZ and other Atarians posted updated versions of old(er) A8 games at atarionline.pl with a new + colourfull titlescreen, maybe Colussus 4.0 was one of these games and it was simply renamed to 4.1 when the titlescreen was added ?!?

I don't know for sure either, but I don't know why someone would change the version number within the file if all they did was add a title screen. Both versions I have show 4.1 in place of the 4.0 as shown above: one is a catridge version and the other is a disk version. The cartridge version has no title screen, although it could have been left off in order to save space in the cartridge. Another version I have with a nice Graph2Font title screen says 4.0 within the file.

The only way to really tell would be to examine/compare the binary data or a disassembly.

Edited by MrFish

With it saying 4.0 inside the file I'd be very dubious that a real dev would not update the version number to show actual work, its possible but unlikely, that and the fact people like to mod stuff ie adding title screens (I seem to remember a god awful one for Star Raiders) means its very unlikely that Chess is a genuine update..

Chances are a comparison as suggested by MrFish would show the actual game code as the same.

Part of the problem is with these versions that are cracks in the first place. They often eliminate the load screens that can have version information and simple go right into the program. This is the case with several other versions I have that are internally marked as 4.0 or 4.1 variously.

For instance here's a version 4.0 that retains the original (I'm even assuming here) load screen:

post-6369-0-80601700-1499195609_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish

Most likely a one man job as no real need for another person as there's basic graphics and I'd imagine extremely basic sound, also CDS were not massive if memory serves.....Hopefully still around, perhaps Mr Savetz can track him down...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Over at worldofspectrum they have a page with former commercial software, where the authors gave permission to make them available at WoS for download - Colossus Chess is one of the programs:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/permits/#sofar

and here:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekpub.cgi?regexp=martin+bryant

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

Well we have our answer from the programmer himself....Martin Bryant.

Hi John. Always nice to hear from an old Colossus fan. As far as I can recall there was only ever v4.0 Perhaps the new 4.1 is identical to 4.0 and someone has just rebadged it to try to make some money. Certainly nothing to do with me. Martin

There you have it......Its a hack...

Have invited him to join us but he's a busy guy at HP..

And just in case people are wondering about 'John', I was named John Paul but I've always been known as Paul, I just use my real first name on official paperwork etc..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

Well we have our answer from the programmer himself....Martin Bryant.

There you have it......Its a hack...

Have invited him to join us but he's a busy guy at HP..

Excellent, another myth/mystery put to rest.

And just in case people are wondering about 'John', I was named John Paul but I've always been known as Paul, I just use my real first name on official paperwork etc..

Interesting, I also have always been called by my middle name Paul. A right pain when it comes to official business sometimes.

Interesting, I also have always been called by my middle name Paul. A right pain when it comes to official business sometimes.

Tell me about it...In my case there's another twist, all the John Paul's (5 I think) in my mothers family got cancer and died, I'm the (where's some wood) one who didn't, well I did get cancer when I was young but it was treated and I'm still here. The people who knew I was John Paul all called me the Pope.....

As for the Chess, glad to have been able to do a little bit to help the cause..Only took 10 mins :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Tell me about it...In my case there's another twist, all the John Paul's (5 I think) in my mothers family got cancer and died, I'm the (where's some wood) one who didn't, well I did get cancer when I was young but it was treated and I'm still here. The people who knew I was John Paul all called me the Pope.....

Yeah, but you're nothing until you've got one of these and are guarded by the mafia. :D

post-6369-0-17858400-1499425257.jpg

As for the Chess, glad to have been able to do a little bit to help the cause..Only took 10 mins :)

I'm still curious if some of the code might have been tweaked too in the hacks in question.

• Like 1