IGNORED

MicroVision Replacement Screen - Let's get SERIOUS about it!

And it doesn't require light to be seen. Clever. But does anyone make eInk displays that small?

I remember one or two cellphones had eInk displays, but that's about it.

What about how they display the picture? Are they driven like standard LCD/displays?

Edited by CatPix

I had a customer two nights ago that had some manner of interactive smart credit card with a built-in 1" square laminated "eInk" display. Seemed like something straight out of a science fiction movie. Had his picture displayed by default, but press one of the three capacitive touch buttons under the display and he could pull up contact information for card holder services, the security code that on a normal card is imprinted on the back side, and other interesting bits of info, it was honestly just a teeny bit creepy considering I have no clue how it was powered.

• Like 2

Which we do'nt even need for the Microvision.

Unless it's possible to introduce grayscale for new games, that the screen would translate as colors, like how the GBC did for the GB games? :D

How much brains there is in the Microvision and into the system? I know that the CPU is into the carts, but what about the video driver? If there is even a video chip on that system? :D

Yeah it looks very simple. I dunno enough about programming, but it seems it really just turn 4 bits data into on/off output for directly driving the LCD.

I guess that is that part isn't attached to the screen itself, it would be a huge limit on how much the display could be "improved" (tho I'm not sure how 16*16 grayscale or color would bring to make games :D)

Yeah, but the issue with those older LCD screen is the ghosting. And with new ones, too. I dunno if it's because basic LCD is considered low-tech and not wort improving of if it's because of the simpler tech used, but I got a GB Boy with a black and white screen, and can you believe that the LCD they used for it have more ghosting than the original?

Tho I dunno how fast e-ink does, if it's suited for gaming. I have an e-reader and it's not fast, but I assume that for reading, ghosting is not important as it's for static display.

E INL refreshes slow, like 10_15 frames a second. You can actually see the this g refreshing when you scroll. Don't know if it has to be slow or if that's just because its designed for static devices (ereaders and such) but if you could jump it to 50-60 hz it could be interesting.

• 1 month later...

Very few people who come into the game room have ever even heard of it. They usually stare politely when I explain what it is.

This thread reminds me, does anyone have the Shooting Star cart? It's the only one I don't have for the system.

Edited by djour
  • Like 1

Isnt 'Shooting Star' the U.K. version of 'Star Trek Phaser Strike'? I thought the only game that didn't see a US release was 'Super Blockbuster'. All other US releases had different names in different countries.

Yep, #3 (red) is the same as Phaser Strike, and #8 (black) is Super Blockbuster.

I thought it was a separate title, learn something new every day. So is the entire collection 11 games?

12 games in total:

1. Alien Raiders / Space Blitz
  2. Baseball
  3. Block Buster
  4. Bowling
  5. Connect Four
  6. Cosmic Hunter
  7. Mindbuster
  8. Pinball
  9. Sea Duel
  10. Star Trek: Phaser Strike / Shooting Star
  11. Super Blockbuster / Super Casse Brique
  12. Vegas Slots

A 13th game called Barrage was planned, but never released. Here's the box art:

WACmrJe.jpg

Well, you can always get a working unit later, and secure games.

Microvision games in (most of) Europe doesn't get the interest of collectioners. I got my own collection on a French site (equivalent to Amazon, with more emphasis on used stuff) for 10€ a game, boxed, near mint, including the system.

I didn't know that! I should have noticed with the wall display, but I guess my brains just went "early/late release oddness".

Fun thing.

Looking at your pic, it seems that MB punched holes in the pads and put a plastic overlay. I'd hate to play with that :D

Edited by CatPix

Not a perfect replacement by far, but I ran across this toy today at Goodwill. I've looked at a zillion different toys over the years and this is the closest LCD I've seen, dimensionally speaking. It's double the resolution of the original, but I've tinkered with a 3"x3" LCD with 5x the original resolution. I tied together rows and columns in groups of 5. I was shocked that the Microvision was able to drive the huge 5x5 blocks without apparent issue.

I'll gut Batman one of these days and see how the LCD is configured. Maybe I can bring one of my non-working Microvisions back to life...ish. Unless I find out that Batman here is worth some huge amount of money. ;-) I think it's missing a decal off of the lid, so even if somebody did want one of these, they wouldn't want this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016LOTLS?_encoding=UTF8&colid=FS56I1C80FDO&coliid=IVTE54K98GQQI