IGNORED

SimCity

Omega-TI

$80 is affordable (for current PEB owners) but for wider spread use it requires a PEB. I'm thinking a SAMS like side cart maybe?

EDIT: I rarely use my PEB console but if I did get a SAMS and there was software available for it, I'd use it more.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

Ah, that IS a good point... I got my PEB back in 1987, and I keep forgetting while there are millions of TI consoles, there's actually a LOT less PEB's out there. (I seem to recall a figure of around 100,000 manufactured, can anyone confirm that?)

I'll use and enjoy my hardware as long as I'm able to, but there's always emulation as well.

• Like 1

What's the reason for this? The TI port of GCC supports C++, although I have no idea what standards version.

I thought there were problems with the C++ build.

*edit*

Plus I think it might be difficult to deal with all the pointers related to objects.

Inheritance works really well... unless you try to inherit code from a different memory page.

Edited by JamesD

If I didn't have 3 or so projects going on at the same time I'd take a shot at it. It wouldn't be so bad if you could supply a bit of memory with the game, but then it get really expensive/impractical

I'm willing to bet many (new) owners don't have more than the original 16K of VDP RAM, so I don't see a problem developing for a SAMS type system. Especially if there's no other way to do it.

• Like 1

Would it have to be a SimCity port, or would it be just as fun with a SimCity inspired game, tailored to the TI abilities and limitations? Call it a demake if you like, but with smaller data sets to handle, and graphics you can decide yourself how they should work, it might go from impressive port 25 years too late, to unique must-have game.

• Like 4

... I keep forgetting while there are millions of TI consoles, there's actually a LOT less PEB's out there. (I seem to recall a figure of around 100,000 manufactured, can anyone confirm that?)

I dunno about the actual count, but I imagine someone like Ksarul knowsa the answer. With the size of the TI community these days, there are more than enough P-Boxes to go around. With Matt's 32K, Nano-PEB's, and possibly the TIPI unit in the future, many people may opt to go those routes foregoing the PEB altogether. Serious TI'ers will still go with the P-Box if they have the space and are willing to fork out a few extra bucks.

I've got a SAMS on my wishlist. So many things happening right now and not just in the TI community. Been real busy with my Amiga lately and now I'm about to pull my Atari 2600 out of storage and do the composite video mod to it, then connect it to a TV again and leave it connected. Right between my PS3 and XBox 360. Also awaiting my Retro Pi to get here that will share the same TV with the other 3. Funtimes over here.

• 4 months later...

Would it have to be a SimCity port, or would it be just as fun with a SimCity inspired game, tailored to the TI abilities and limitations? Call it a demake if you like, but with smaller data sets to handle, and graphics you can decide yourself how they should work, it might go from impressive port 25 years too late, to unique must-have game.

I don't know if it's cheating or would be accepted as 'kosher', but if the upcoming TIPI could somehow do the heavy lifting, with the TI handing the video display aspects, I imagine with an F18A an exact (and NOT slow) port could be accomplished. Gonna happen? Highly doubtful, but it would be cool as heck, and a great hook for the new device.

Plenty of examples of SimCity in 64k or less around. The Commodore 64 version is playable though it lacks the sophisticated graphics of its younger siblings. My thoughts echoing others.

Segmented thoughts for the TI regarding memory: 32k, VDP RAM, a special edition to take advantage of SAMS.

For graphics: there are quite a few tricks to be used for the 9918A, but also a special edition for F18A.

CPU speed: 9900 is well enough, but an F18A edition would be an incredible boost.

With some modular programming: Stock 32k, SAMS, F18A/32k, F18A/SAMS.