IGNORED

New 7800 owner - What games are a must have?

Mephitblue

"THE BEST" recommendation, get some kind of multicart (the Mateos is great).

+1 on the Mateos multicart. :thumbsup: Easy to setup and use.

@Mephitblue - hope you secure that copy of Food Fight. Every 7800 owner should have a copy of that cart. :)

post-21941-0-93823100-1499445792.jpg post-21941-0-11725200-1499445825.jpg

• Like 1

Man I wished I loved Food Fight as much as so many here seem to. Even if you ignore the more expensive regular releases like Commando and Ikari, Food Fight is not even in my top ten.

No worries. That's what's great about this hobby. We each get to pick and choose our favs, and with each new homebrew, were provided more to choose from.:)

• Like 4

The original games aren't that great, in my opinion. Top 7 original releases I'd give as Centipede, Dig Dug, Food Fight, Galaga, Joust, and Robotron 2084. The rest are either OK games or better elsewhere, or in updates. Skip Ms Pac Man and grab Pac-Man Collection. Same with Asteroids v. Asteroids Deluxe. Donkey Kong is just killed by Donkey Kong Pokey (which I just got in today!)---the game looks just like the arcade, and sounds like it too. Scramble, Astro Blaster, Beef Drop (Pokey, if you can find it), Moon Cresta, and though I haven't played Dungeon Stalker, it has a perfect score on AtariAge store.

You'll definitely be more rewarded if you dive into the homebrew.

I'm working on a deal to get Food Fight from someone on another forum. I like your advice on loading up on the 80's carts first, before moving to homebrews. I might do a modified version of this, say getting a homebrew every other month while I focus on building up the cheap 80's collection.

Just throwing my two cents in again about the multicarts. (I really wish someone had convinced me to go this route before I bought as many 7800 carts as I did.)

You can get one multicart that you can load 16 games on. You play those 16 games until you get tired of them, then you can load 16 DIFFERENT games on it. You can do it for less than it would cost to just buy 16 decent games. If you want to collect carts, then that's cool, but if you are just interested in playing them, the multicart is the way to go. I know I'm repeating my earlier post and I apologize, I just want to make sure you know there's always this option. It will save you time and money, if you are just interested in playing the games. ;)

you can also use the multicart to try out the games, before you decide to buy the actual cart. That way you don't spend money on a game you won't ever play. The multicart is just a really good investment.

Edited by RamrodHare

Step-by-step direction from the developer.

Demo here.

Well I don't have a burner. Guess I'm out of options.

Personally I love food fight. The wife and I had fun tag teaming Robotron. I only have it on multicast but Ninja Golfbbqold. Fun golf beat em up hybrid. I also like mean 18.

As far as homebrew go get Pac man collection if you like that. I love Bentley Bear which is a platformer to be released soon (reminds me of adventure island in ways). I haven't played T:ME Salvo much but it seems like a cool shooter like Robotron. If you like berserk on 2600 Frenzy is a no brainer. Really I've liked all of PMP games I've bought so far.

Well I don't have a burner. Guess I'm out of options

You can buy the burner with the Multicart. It's not that expensive and it will work for any of the multicarts that Mateos makes. All together, the burner, the 7800 multicart, and shipping is around $80 if I remember correctly. So, around the same price as a rare 7800 cart, like Commando and 2 or 3 common carts, like Dig Dug or Joust. Until we get a 7800 version of the Harmony, this is the best option there is.

• Like 1

You can buy the burner with the Multicart. It's not that expensive and it will work for any of the multicarts that Mateos makes. All together, the burner, the 7800 multicart, and shipping is around $80 if I remember correctly. So, around the same price as a rare 7800 cart, like Commando and 2 or 3 common carts, like Dig Dug or Joust. Until we get a 7800 version of the Harmony, this is the best option there is.

Well craps. May have to invest then. Damn atari stuff burning a whole in my pocket. This only works on 7800 games correct?

I have a Retropie I haven't touched since I got the 7800. Not quite the same as playing the games on the 7800 but certainly close enough to try things out.

I think I got hit with the collecting bug. You know, that thrill of scoring something you couldn't afford when you where a kid and feeling the physical game in your hand. However, I do need to be selective, especially when it comes to the homebrew games, so try before you buy definitely makes sense.

Are the roms publicly available for most of the homebrews sold on AA? I don't want to take money away from the homebrew developer and AA, but I would like to try them out before shelling out $30 to $50 on a game. My gaming budget can't handle me going on a homebrew buying spree, so I need to be selective. :)

Just throwing my two cents in again about the multicarts. (I really wish someone had convinced me to go this route before I bought as many 7800 carts as I did.)

You can get one multicart that you can load 16 games on. You play those 16 games until you get tired of them, then you can load 16 DIFFERENT games on it. You can do it for less than it would cost to just buy 16 decent games. If you want to collect carts, then that's cool, but if you are just interested in playing them, the multicart is the way to go. I know I'm repeating my earlier post and I apologize, I just want to make sure you know there's always this option. It will save you time and money, if you are just interested in playing the games. ;)

you can also use the multicart to try out the games, before you decide to buy the actual cart. That way you don't spend money on a game you won't ever play. The multicart is just a really good investment.

I answered my one question and found Trebor's rom pack. Just loaded up the homebrews that look interesting to me on to the Retropie to try out. Scramble, here I come. :)

7800 Asteroids and Centipede are two extremely solid arcade ports. They even have some really nice two player co-op and versus modes unique to the system.

Food Fight and Joust - another two excellent ports. I don't recall seeing Food Fight on any other platform.

Homebrew-wise I'd go for Pacman Collection. There's a pile of really great looking content in the home-brew area and that's probably your best bet for any other titles.

Edited by davyK

I don't recall seeing Food Fight on any other platform.

Food Fight was also ported over to the Atari XE. Unfortunately, it has an overly 'greenish' appearance, and worse, plays 'choppy'; similar to when a game is dropping or skipping frames.

post-18-0-71440500-1499600437.png

• 2 weeks later...

For original games, don't forget the excellent ports of Joust and Xevious. For original titles, I really enjoy Desert Falcon, Ninja Golf and Midnight Mutants.

Most of the best homebrews have been mentioned, but Failsafe, Frenzy and Jr. Pac are excellent as well.

• Like 1

Food Fight was also ported over to the Atari XE. Unfortunately, it has an overly 'greenish' appearance, and worse, plays 'choppy'; similar to when a game is dropping or skipping frames.

attachicon.gifFF_XE.PNG

Atari had a habit of buying licenses to cover multiple consoles. Unfortunately, when the game didn't already exist on the other console in some form already, they'd pay for quick cheap ports.

Usually, the 7800 bore the brunt of this problem as many Atari XE games already existed in disk form and were quickly ported to cart. Summer Games has fewer events, Fight Night has fewer modes, Karateka is just terrible etc.

It did go the other way though, in situations where GCC made the 7800 game, but then crappy ports were done on the XE. Food Fight is one. Desert Falcon is another.