IGNORED

I Hate Moon Patrol

Butt_Rogers

I rather liked this game. Could use some more variation in the terrain instead of just different spacing between the rocks and holes.

'Course the actual game (and the 5200 version, etc.) has hills that go up and down. The VCS version I guess could just do what it could do. :)

Moon Patrol drove me to download and install MAME on my laptop; it is the only arcade game that I want to play that has not been featured in a modern emulator collection. :(

It was on the Arcade Greatest Hits - Midway Collection 2! Not sure if it was on anything else though...

5206_front.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 5

• 8 months later...

I got this for Christmas when I was a kid.

I played it for days on end. I can finish all stages with one life back then.

Super fun. I played with a quickshot 3.

You have to be quick and learn the jumping.

The mine stage is easy. The tanks auto fire and hold left to slow down. As soon as the tank is killed hold right and jump with enough speed.

I could see today finding it hard. Thinking your going to drive thru and rack up points is wrong. Surviving the course is where you mind should be.

NES comparison? Blaster master? LOL

plays nothing like it.

• 4 months later...

Moon Patrol is one of those rare instances where the arcade game is actually easier than the 2600 port. I agree that the collision detection is off right before craters. So many times I thought I had at least a couple pixels grace but I blew up anyway. It's still a good version, and quite faithful to the original. Thanks to G-Type for the tips above -- for some reason I, too, thought you had to shoot the "poop" before attempting to jump over the crater.

This one definitely requires that you get the 'feel' down, but once you do it's a great game. I played the heck out of it as a kid, and still enjoy it now. It's worth investing the time to learn the muscle memory needed to play it well.