IGNORED

Frogus

SIO2

frogus07102017.a78

frogus07102017.bin

Added a visual and audio indicator that you caught a fly. The sides of the frog's belly now change color when you eat a fly.

Also added two way traffic and time pressure. Time pressure means you must collect a fly and enter a cave before the timer runs out. The time pressure meter are the lattice boxes at the top of the screen between score and the extra lives indicator.

Also changed the way the extra lives indicator works so that it shows lives remaining (not including the current). It used to show total lives including the one in play.

This version also displays a line near the bottom marking a safe zone where the frog starts and can retreat to. The safe zone existed in last version but is now marked.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 2

attachicon.giffrogus07102017.a78

attachicon.giffrogus07102017.bin

Added a visual and audio indicator that you caught a fly. The sides of the frog's belly now change color when you eat a fly.

Also added two way traffic and time pressure. Time pressure means you must collect a fly and enter a cave before the timer runs out. The time pressure meter are the lattice boxes at the top of the screen between score and the extra lives indicator.

Also changed the way the extra lives indicator works so that it shows lives remaining (not including the current). It used to show total lives including the one in play.

This version also displays a line near the bottom marking a safe zone where the frog starts and can retreat to. The safe zone existed in last version but is now marked.

Goof (edit: good.) ideas. It seems like the frog sometimes has a tough time getting into the "pad" on the other side, as if there is an alignment issue and you have to hop around randomly to try to square yourself with the pad hole. Sometime you go in unaligned, sometimes I can't seem to align myself and a car eventually comes along and hits me. I am always getting a fly first.

Goof ideas. It seems like the frog sometimes has a tough time getting into the "pad" on the other side, as if there is an alignment issue and you have to hop around randomly to try to square yourself with the pad hole. Sometime you go in unaligned, sometimes I can't seem to align myself and a car eventually comes along and hits me. I am always getting a fly first.

I should make that "often" has trouble getting into the pad hole.

Also, seem to get hit by a car when it is a quarter of a length away. But it looks to be like a very fun game when it is done.

• Like 1

frogus07162017.a78

frogus07162017.bin

Tightened up collision detection, made gate/cave entry more forgiving, changed the time pressure indicator by extending it and replacing the lattice blocks with open blocks, modified the way the program handles screen updates reducing the burden on the main loop and animated the fly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments Swami. I should be able to fix those issues. Just have not had time to work on it the last few days.

attachicon.giffrogus07162017.a78

attachicon.giffrogus07162017.bin

Tightened up collision detection, made gate/cave entry more forgiving, changed the time pressure indicator by extending it and replacing the lattice blocks with open blocks, modified the way the program handles screen updates reducing the burden on the main loop and animated the fly.

Agree. This version is a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Thought I would mention, maybe you could get 25 or 50 points for each fly. It would increase the tension...should you wait for another fly, go for that 2nd or 3rd fly, or just head to the pad? Kind of like the tension of "should you wait and go out of your way to get the female frog or wait for a pad with a fly in it" in another game. If each level gets harder it might behoove someone to try to get more points in the lower levels at the risk of running out of time or getting ran over.

• Like 2

frogus07202017.a78

frogus07202017.bin

Changed the music. Added some increase in difficulty as you progress. Changed the rules a little. As before, you must collect a fly in order to enter the gate/cave. Now you may also collect additional flies before entering the gate/cave. Each bonus fly scores an additional 25 points. Collect 10 bonus flies and earn yourself an extra frog. Be careful not to run out of time though.

At the beginning of the game, the number 10 is displayed to the right of the rightmost cave. That number will count down as you collect bonus flies so that you know how many flies you still need in order to earn a free frog. You may only have a maximum of five frogs = one in play and four in reserve. If you collect ten bonus flies but already have the maximum frogs, you will not receive a bonus frog and the counter will reset. Manage your resources carefully.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

attachicon.giffrogus07202017.a78

attachicon.giffrogus07202017.bin

Changed the music. Added some increase in difficulty as you progress. Changed the rules a little. As before, you must collect a fly in order to enter the gate/cave. Now you may also collect additional flies before entering the gate/cave. Each bonus fly scores an additional 25 points. Collect 10 bonus flies and earn yourself an extra frog. Be careful not to run out of time though.

At the beginning of the game, the number 10 is displayed to the right of the rightmost cave. That number will count down as you collect bonus flies so that you know how many flies you still need in order to earn a free frog. You may only have a maximum of five frogs = one in play and four in reserve. If you collect ten bonus flies but already have the maximum frogs, you will not receive a bonus frog and the counter will reset. Manage your resources carefully.

I like the smoothness now and the "ring-up" sound effects when you tally your extra flies. Getting pretty enjoyable. Just for fun, you could add some stuff like a motorcycle or sportcar with loud engine noise or a VW beetle that honks or police car/ambulance with siren. Maybe make the green frog hole surrounding into a blue pond with lily pads instead of holes or something to spruce it up. This is all just aesthetics. Whatever appeals to you, don't want to suck up too much gameplay memory.

A different idea might be different levels, like a "playground" with bikers and skateboarders or" shopping mall" with shopping carts, just as examples; Some other settings might be better. Quote marks indicate a minimalist background for practicality. Okay, I'll leave you alone for a while, LOL.

Sorry, just realized you said the frog holes were caves. So, it look like caves in some background rather than pads on a lake. Okay, done. Really like the game. ;-)

Hi

plays very well,but sometimes the collissionis not right.

When being in the first row,moving up or down,several times,my frog crashed,but no car was next to him.

greetings Walter

I never noticed this in Stella, but it did happen on my 2600. I also would occasionally see cars in the cave lane for a brief time accompanied by flicker, so it was like the sprites alignment was off from the collision detection by a lane. At first I thought maybe I ran out of time, because sometimes you lose track of time hunting for flies, but then I saw the cars in the cave lane.

• 1 year later...