IGNORED

Streaming Atari 2600

MoonlightKnight

Hey guys, been a long time since I've been here, but I have a question I'm sure can be answered by this forum.

I was looking through the database and there are a few threads about streaming Atari to things like Twitch and now, Mixer, but I couldn't make heads or tails of what was being said in those threads.

I use Mixer, and I'd like to stream some of the old games to it directly from my old consoles. I've never been a fan of emulators because I find the games don't always play well when you use those.

I need a little help getting the signal to my computer. Here's the equipment I have so far:

An older Samsung TV with inputs from RCA all the way to HDMI.

An unmodified Atari

An Atari switch box with a COAX adapter

An Elgato HD60 capture device. This plugs into my computer via USB

XSplit streaming program.

So really, I need a way to hook the Atari to the TV so I can see the game, and then run the signal into my computer to capture it.

With what I have, what is the best way to get this accomplished, and what am I missing that I will need to add?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Hey guys, been a long time since I've been here, but I have a question I'm sure can be answered by this forum.

I was looking through the database and there are a few threads about streaming Atari to things like Twitch and now, Mixer, but I couldn't make heads or tails of what was being said in those threads.

I use Mixer, and I'd like to stream some of the old games to it directly from my old consoles. I've never been a fan of emulators because I find the games don't always play well when you use those.

I need a little help getting the signal to my computer. Here's the equipment I have so far:

An older Samsung TV with inputs from RCA all the way to HDMI.

An unmodified Atari

An Atari switch box with a COAX adapter

An Elgato HD60 capture device. This plugs into my computer via USB

XSplit streaming program.

So really, I need a way to hook the Atari to the TV so I can see the game, and then run the signal into my computer to capture it.

With what I have, what is the best way to get this accomplished, and what am I missing that I will need to add?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Get a splitter and run coax to TV and USB

I may not have explained my situation correctly.

I have a switch box that will output to COAX. My TV will accept that, but it has to go through the Elgato before it gets to the TV. The Elgato only accepts HDMI input.

Do you know of a way to switch COAX to HDMI? If I have that, I think I can do it.

Even better if I can get a multitap with RCA inputs and a COAX output so I can have several systems on one box. As of yet, I haven't been able to find anything that would work.

One major thing I'd suggest if you want to stream atari is use an av modded atari or a flashback 2, rf is just too prone to noise for it to give good video/audio.

With my vanilla atari 2600 hooked up to an s-vhs, I tried using it with my capture card with svideo, but the video and audio I got had tons of noise in it, I can imagine having a whole pc setup on near the atari adds to this.

I would recommend just getting a capture card with composite/s-video to go with this, converting composite to HDMI would be more expensive, and sd cap cards aren't very expensive, the elgato game capture HD is a good option, and theres even really cheap cards like the easycap that are ok options.

Perhaps an easier option for you would be a retron 77 when it comes out, but I do understand the appeal of streaming your own actual hardware.

Edit: also forgot to mention, getting a rca splitter is essential for streaming if the cap card you get does not have splitting built in, so you can plug both into your Card and your TV.

Personally I use this for composite/svideo: https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-1500320-Component-Distribution-Amplifier/dp/B010EIK6K6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500131219&sr=8-1&keywords=radioshack+rca+splitter

Edited by FireStar

A year ago I was recommended a cheap USB TV analogue tuner sold on Ebay over here and it works very well for capturing Atari 2600 games provided you use capable software like Virtual dub. There is no more noise than standard CRT TV if connected directly from console to USB even via splitter.

post-21802-0-69484100-1500144459.jpg

A year ago I was recommended a cheap USB TV analogue tuner sold on Ebay over here and it works very well for capturing Atari 2600 games provided you use capable software like Virtual dub. There is no more noise than standard CRT TV if connected directly from console to USB even via splitter.

I was the one that made that recommendation. I have two of them and only paid $10 for them. I used the exact setup you have in the pic. For software I used Xsplit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, so far the best I've been able to manage is getting RCA inputs to my capture card. I haven't used my Atari 2600 or 7800 in so long, I'm not even sure they are working correctly since I can't seem to even get them working straight to my TV through COAX.

I'm still looking for a suitable converter, either from COAX to HDMI or a connector to RCA. I've purchased a mod kit from EBay for my 2600, we'll see how that goes.

Incidentally, if you guys are interested, the final product will be streamed live here: https://mixer.com/MoonLghtKnght

Eventually, anyway. My goal is to live stream retro games of all sorts. So far, there are very few who do that. I'm happy to fill the niche.