IGNORED

Atari 65/800/130XE motherboard PCB

pivan

The 1088XEL could possibly be (Easily?) redone to fit into a standard Atari case. It would be a waste of real-estate for sure, and probably expensive to have a board thats 75% empty and just normal jacks around the parameter.

As I told. Is not about money. 1088XEL is great project, but I would like have new Atari in old case without modifications and as "home made". :)

Is no problem find and buy old mobo, desoldering all parts and put new. But why don't have "brand new" mobo? This is my idea for long nights :)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Edited by pivan
  • Like 3

Exxosuk just open Atari 520STFM motherboard remake project. And I just want ask if will be any interest about remake project for Atari 130XE motherboard? I was write to him and ask if will be not better put both motherboards together on kickstarter. If somebody have interest, we will try make new mobo for 8bit Atari. Just write here :)

Edited by pivan

This make one guy from Czech on old mobo. I would like make something similar with new board.. Thank you rEVERz.d65942f0fb6e13f4fec2ac98255d4627.jpg

If you are going to remake it, why have all those individual resistors (lots of board stuffing required)? On my project I went with resistor networks for much of that, which is especially nice where the pull-ups are concerned since you can get arrays with up to 9 pull-ups in a single 10 pin SIP (compared to 18 holes if they were individual resistors).

- Michael

• Like 2

A full 800XL PCB (or even 600XL) won't fit in the free version of Eagle. I'd say go with KiCad. I think it would be best if you have a high resolution photo of a bare original PCB (top and bottom) and copy that with pcbnew.

I'm aware you want a PCB that takes all the original components, but if you're prepared to drop that requirement, I'd say: wait for the 1088XEL design to finalize, redraw it in KiCad and layout the components on an 800XL outline, add the keyboard connector and the circuit that connects it to the Pokey. Then, export gerbers, board house, et cetera :)

A full 800XL PCB (or even 600XL) won't fit in the free version of Eagle. I'd say go with KiCad. I think it would be best if you have a high resolution photo of a bare original PCB (top and bottom) and copy that with pcbnew.

I'm aware you want a PCB that takes all the original components, but if you're prepared to drop that requirement, I'd say: wait for the 1088XEL design to finalize, redraw it in KiCad and layout the components on an 800XL outline, add the keyboard connector and the circuit that connects it to the Pokey. Then, export gerbers, board house, et cetera :)

Is the 1088XEl going to be open source? I was under the impression it was not.

Is the 1088XEl going to be open source? I was under the impression it was not.

Yes, it is. Different revisions of the schematic have all been posted here during the design process. Once all known bugs are solved all development files will be released to the public.

Some of the components are not open source though. Sophia, UAV and U1MB are all closed.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

How much will you pay me? PCB design work usually goes about $100/hr.

I don't want make business from this :) I'm able make mobo copy myself, but I'm just lazy.. I was looking somebody who like this work and want help to others, not just me :)

But thanks.

If you are going to remake it, why have all those individual resistors (lots of board stuffing required)? On my project I went with resistor networks for much of that, which is especially nice where the pull-ups are concerned since you can get arrays with up to 9 pull-ups in a single 10 pin SIP (compared to 18 holes if they were individual resistors).

- Michael

This is great idea, but this I'm not able redesign mobo. I'm able make just copy of old one. But if somebody will help redesign for old cases I'm in :)

I was start desoldering old Atari 65XE, where is some broken traces. Board is 130XE with 16 memory banks (positions). When I finish, then I will try make detailed photo and start redrawing maybe in Sprint?

• Like 1

I was start desoldering old Atari 65XE, where is some broken traces. Board is 130XE with 16 memory banks (positions). When I finish, then I will try make detailed photo and start redrawing maybe in Sprint?

What is Sprint?

Never mind just figured out what it is. Pretty cool, but it looks like this will be quite time consuming when done on a motherboard scale. However it does allow you to make a virtually perfect copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzjh5vgxNdk

http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 2