IGNORED

CoCo3 Green Screen of Death

OhkaBaka

On July 10, 2017 at 2:07 PM, OhkaBaka said:

I found my 10 year old retro tech aficionado and burgeoning programmer using a CoCo3 emulator online to run BASIC programs and I said to him, "You know I still HAVE my CoCo." With tremendous pride on my part and stammering and delight and delight from him, he asked if we could set it up.

I couldn't be happier, the CoCo literally changed my life. It is mentioned in the cover letter that got me my last few development jobs.

I have kept it faithfully since I was only a couple years older than him. I used it, daily at first, and then less so, until about 1992, when I "replaced" it with a 286sx and respectfully boxed it up and tucked it away.

25 years and nearly a dozen moves later, my boy and I opened it up like we were unboxing a new VR headset rig or something. It was exciting and fun.

It was also completely covered in mouse poop. Sigh.

We cleaned it up... which included dismantling the keyboard and dumping the key springs all over the kitchen floor. BUT... it looks like Mickey had lived most of his life on the F1 and F2 keys (which were miserable to clean), and miraculously, no urine or poop managed to make it onto the motherboard itself.

Finally we plugged it in and my nostalgic heart soared at seeing that familiar green square appear on screen... and then sank again as I realized no text appeared on screen with it.

TLDR;
Upon plugging in a CoCo3 that has been in storage for 25 years, it boots to a green screen with no text or prompt. Obviously, it is still doing SOMETHING... it just isn't getting all the way up.

Carts don't work either... I get the same green screen booting to BASIC or trying to load a cart.

It could be tragic... it could be minor... I just thought I'd ask whatever is left of the Tandy community if anyone knows what it could be or has fixed such a thing before.

Many thanks, my brethren of the blinky rainbow cursor...

OhkaBaka

Usually that green screen means u just need to re seat the RAM chips

• 3 weeks later...

My background is a CoCo 2. I had one when I was a little kid (8 maybe?) and unfortunately did not do much with it other than play a few cheesy games. I went over to the C64 afterward and never looked back. I remember the CoCo 3 being released and seeing some cool stuff going on for it but didn't go for it back then. I went right to the Amiga.

But now I am re investigating what I had missed and it appears I missed a whole lot. Stuff like NitrOS and other really cool developments. I jumped back in just recently and received a CoCo 3 in trade. It needed a little bit of work, but seems to be working fine. I will agree that from what I have experienced with the CoCo community it is one of the best in regard to a whole lot of really nice folks willing to help you out or just shoot the sh*t. Good people! 

• 4 weeks later...