IGNORED

Lynx > Dreamcast

Schmudde

I thought this reflection with Bernie Stolar was pretty interesting. I had no idea that the same guy in charge of the Lynx was in charge of the Dreamcast in the USA:

It’s a story that Stolar says he’s seen time and time again — a fixture on hardware without the software to back it up. And it’s one that began for him even when he started in the industry by opening a coin-operated arcade in San Francisco.

The State Street Arcade carried over 300 games and caught the attention of Atari, where Stolar was invited to help develop content. But the focus on hardware over software prevailed, especially after the firm was sold to Jack Tramiel in the 1980s. Stolar was placed in charge of the Lynx division, and he was frustrated by the small library available to players.

“I had a lot of respect for Jack, and it was a good place to work but Jack wasn’t investing money in content,” he says. Stolar left, but not without a sense that Atari could have commanded the market had it made a few different choices.

“The Lynx, I thought, was better than Nintendo. Atari had a patent infringement case against Nintendo and they lost ... I think part of that was because they didn’t have strong enough lawyers.

“He really wasn't investing money in content. I remember I got a phone call from Steve Race, who became the first president of PlayStation, to help take that over and become head of third-party for PlayStation.”

Here's the article: Why former Sega president Bernie Stolar is still proud of the Dreamcast.

/Schmüdde

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

So this guy fucked up the Lynx, then didn't succeed at Sony, then went to Sega and fucked up the Dreamcast and .......wow.....great track-record.

“I felt that everybody wasn’t strong enough to do their jobs,”

That's what asshole-bosses do just to show their balls. They think this way they let the people who are left over (any ?) will shiver and work harder....big mistake.

300 people and ALL of them weren't strong enough to do their jobs.....yeah right.

Focussing on on-line was the biggest mistake of the Dreamcast. Everyone still had dial-up internet then....no-one was going to play for hours when the telephone ticks were going...

The Dreamcast was a fine machine, definitely better hardware wise and yes there should have been more and better content, just like on the Lynx. But from what I read here I don't get a feeling this guy was the right man for the job.

If he felt that Jack Tramiel didn't want to invest enough in software for the Lynx (which I think is correct) he should have told Tramiel that he couldn't do his job properly (managing the Lynx) and walk out.

The Japanese don't have a problem seeing what is needed in the US, US executives always think they know everything better.....

I'd fire him.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

As a day 1 and still current day DC owner.it always struck me as odd Sega gambled on the online aspect being the key to the next generation race for home consoles.

Sales of the net link on Saturn were well below Sega's own forecasts as it was.

Over here in the UK Bob Gleadow was saying the lynx connectivity was the key to it's success. .just after announcing Atari expected a mere 23 games to join the 7 already available...and Atari would sell more than a million lynx machines that year without a doubt.

Games sell hardware..it is as simple as that..features like link-up are not a big draw to anyone.

Always with Atari it's a case of what they could of done..

• Like 1