IGNORED

Everything you want to know about the Jaguar power supply and power issues

madman

Information about the Jaguar and Jaguar CD power supplies:

What are the specs for the original Jaguar power supply?

9VDC 1.2A output center negative. Do NOT use a center positive power supply or the Jaguar will be damaged.

What are the specs for the original Jaguar CD power supply?

They are identical to the Jaguar console’s power supply.

Do the PAL units use different power supplies?

Only the input voltage will differ, the output specs will be the same.

Where can I buy an original Jaguar or Jaguar CD power supply?

B&C ComputerVisions

Best Electronics

The Goat Store

What other common power supplies can be used?

Anything with the above specs will work, though it is not recommended to go above a 10V output. The most common solution is a Sega Genesis/MD Model 1 power supply, any of the 1602 models will work.

Anything to be aware of when using a non-OEM power supply?

If you are using a Skunkboard rev1 and 2 boards, do not exceed the rated 9V output as the unregulated output is passed directly to the flash chip via the cartridge connector.

Are there any single power supplies that will power the Jaguar and Jaguar CD at the same time?

Any power supply that has a 9V center negative with an output of at least 2.4A should be suitable for this purpose. A Y-cable of the proper size (5.5mm OD x 2.1mm ID) can be used.

One supplier of an all-in-one PSU that is ready to use is here: Retro Game Supply

Troubleshooting a possible power problem:

My Jaguar doesn’t turn on, what’s wrong?

1. Do you have a cart in the Jaguar? If not, it won’t power on.

2. Start with the power supply itself. Are you using one with the above specs? If so, verify it is working correctly using a voltmeter or by trying it on another Jaguar, Genesis Model 1 or Sega Master System.

3. You may be using a dirty cartridge or your cartridge connector may be dirty. There are two pins on the cartridge connector that must complete a circuit via the cart itself in order for the Jaguar to power up. If this only happens with certain games, it is most likely an issue with dirty cartridges.

4. If you received the console used/untested and it does not power up the most likely cause is a blown voltage regulator as a result of hooking up a power supply with the incorrect polarity. AtariAge member SCPCD wrote up an excellent guide on the parts that have likely suffered damaged: http://scpcd.free.fr/jag/jag.htm#Repair

The parts are not custom and should be available from any local component supplier (Mouser, Digikey, etc). They are also stocked at Console5.

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, I'm looking for EU plug jaguar power supply. American sites are no no since even if they have EU plug it is too expensive for buy.

Telegames has UK plug power supply and no specifications on it if it is OK. Voltage is OK, only need to change plug. Is it OK ?

What about this one on ebay ? http://www.ebay.de/itm/Transformator-Atari-Jaguar-Stromversorgung-macht-Macht-Power-Versorgung/202060414019?hash=item2f0bbd3c43:g:X8gAAOSw6HJZwQAl

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm looking for EU plug jaguar power supply. American sites are no no since even if they have EU plug it is too expensive for buy.

Telegames has UK plug power supply and no specifications on it if it is OK. Voltage is OK, only need to change plug. Is it OK ?

What about this one on ebay ? http://www.ebay.de/itm/Transformator-Atari-Jaguar-Stromversorgung-macht-Macht-Power-Versorgung/202060414019?hash=item2f0bbd3c43:g:X8gAAOSw6HJZwQAl

Thanks

Yeah you can use that all over europe, just get a uk to standard adapter, thata what i used to do.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The power supply for my Jaguar will start buzzing after a while. As in, the wall wart itself will have an audible buzz/hum coming from it that gets louder the longer it is left plugged in. It seems to power the Jag okay, but it worries me that it may damage the Jag or that it is a sign that the power supply itself is about to go out. Any ideas? Just get a new one? It is an actual Jaguar part, not an aftermarket one.

The power supply for my Jaguar will start buzzing after a while. As in, the wall wart itself will have an audible buzz/hum coming from it that gets louder the longer it is left plugged in. It seems to power the Jag okay, but it worries me that it may damage the Jag or that it is a sign that the power supply itself is about to go out. Any ideas? Just get a new one? It is an actual Jaguar part, not an aftermarket one.

It's probably just the winding of the transformer getting old and loosening up a bit/vibrating when it gets warm.

Have you checked the voltage from it?

• 5 months later...

This was very helpful actually. I am trying to help out a local guy that got an untested Jaguar that will not power on, he has tested all the cables and everything apparently is fine but it will not power on. Likely it's that U38 chip then as madman linked to that one page. Very helpful and useful info!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wanted to ask some questions on here in case anyone might have some additional input on things to look at. I've got a jag sent to me for replacing U38 (Blown regulator). I did this and also replace out C134 as that had obvious heat stress along the side of it. The jag powers up but no audio at all. In looking at Reg1 I am showing +12 to the Vin pin 8 but only about .8v on the Audio VCC out on Pin1. Thinking Reg1 is likely dead, I went ahead and supplied +5 straight to TP6 where the Audio VCC out should be and that only causes the jag to not boot at all. So now I'm not so sure that Reg1 is to blame. For the record that IC physically looks ago although I did hit the pins with fresh heat in case they weren't all making good contact. 

Is there somewhere else I should apply +5 to the audio circuit to try and get audio working again? 

Does applying +5 directly to where pin 1 on Reg1 attached to the main board and preventing the jag from booting indicate some short? If so where? because in continuity mode, I get nothing from ground to pin 1 of Reg 1 nor in resistance mode. But in Diode mode, I do show 1v from ground to pin 1 on Reg 1. 

I also confirmed on the 1545 that the audio VCC in is the same .8v reading I get from TP6 so that at least appears to be good to that point. Also not showing any dead shorts from ground to pin 8 of the 1545.

Ideas?

NM - Got it going. Turns out where I was getting my +5 from, the Jaguar didn't like. Works fine bypassing REG 1 using Pin 1 off the ADC directly. Problem solved...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello friends. I bought an Atari Jaguar on the craglist for 100 $. But the person only had the console and a control. I asked how she knew it was working, she said it was, because the last time her son used it, it was a few years ago. So I bought the power supply on ebay and it arrived today. I tried to turn on the jaguar without a cartridge and nothing happened. I am waiting for the cartridge to arrive Wednesday. I tested the power supply with a multimeter before connecting to the atari saying 11.5v. This is correct? Without a cartridge connected, does the jaguar not turn on the light indicating that it is on? Thanks

20200810_161029.jpg

IMG_20200810_161127_186.jpg

• Like 1