IGNORED

Open source 3d printed shell for Ultimate Cart

Hi all,

The original shell for my Ultimate Cart was a hacked Atari grey cart shell, which I spray painted blue. Unfortunately the paint has rubbed off a bit, and its now looking rather tatty.
So, now that I've got a 3d printer of my very own, I decided to design a shell for the Ultimate Cart. Like the rest of the project, this shell is open-source.

post-41252-0-80495600-1499961657.jpg post-41252-0-60322800-1499961757.jpg

I've uploaded both the STL files and the design files (OpenSCAD) to the github site:
https://github.com/robinhedwards/UltimateCart/

The shell should fit any PCBs produced using the board files on github. This should be most of the boards out there, with the exception of the redesign by Panos that he used for his later runs (but I think these came with nice shells anyway).
If you're not sure, compare your board to the pictures on github - if the connectors and screw holes are in the same places, it should fit.

The cart has been tested for fit in my 65XE, and 800XL. Flashjazzcat has been kind enough to test it for me in a XEGS, 800 and 1200XL, and reports it fits well.

If you don't have access to a 3d printer, I'm happy to make a few of these for others.
This would be using the same printer and filament colours (bronze & red) as the pictures above.
The price would be £22 + P&P (£1 to UK, £3 elsewhere).
Send me a PM if interested.

Robin

post-41252-0-67402300-1499961714.jpg post-41252-0-64234400-1499961732.jpg

• Like 24

Many thanks for the files. My first 3D printer should be arriving shortly and this would be a totally awesome thing to print after I get past my first set of adventures (disasters) :D

You are welcome!

I'm sure you'll have great fun with your 3d printer - I'm really enjoying owning one.

But they do certainly require a lot of experimentation and learning what works. It's taken me several weeks to be able to reliably make cartridge shells with a perfect finish to the front and back faces.

Having said that, its probably easier to print other types of things where the first layer finish is not so important.

Robin

Edited by electrotrains

Hi Larry,

I bought a Wanhao Duplicator i3 v2.1. I think this is sold in the U.S. as the Monoprice Maker Select v2.

I'm generally very happy with it - I spent a long time researching 3d printers, and this seemed to be the best compromise between price and quality. If spending a bit more, and feeling a bit braver, I would have gone for an Original Prusa Mk2s kit - http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/59-original-prusa-i3-mk2-kit.html

I was really looking for something to produce enclosures for electronics projects, and other retro-computing projects. e.g. the Wanhao did a pretty fine job printing a SIO plug from thingverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1831769

I've made the plug up into a cable which fits beautifully into an Atari and I was planning to build myself a new SIO2SD at some point, since my current one is a bit shabby looking.

Robin

• Like 4

Hi Larry,

I bought a Wanhao Duplicator i3 v2.1. I think this is sold in the U.S. as the Monoprice Maker Select v2.

I'm generally very happy with it - I spent a long time researching 3d printers, and this seemed to be the best compromise between price and quality. If spending a bit more, and feeling a bit braver, I would have gone for an Original Prusa Mk2s kit - http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/59-original-prusa-i3-mk2-kit.html

I was really looking for something to produce enclosures for electronics projects, and other retro-computing projects. e.g. the Wanhao did a pretty fine job printing a SIO plug from thingverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1831769

I've made the plug up into a cable which fits beautifully into an Atari and I was planning to build myself a new SIO2SD at some point, since my current one is a bit shabby looking.

Robin

I have the 2.0 version of that printer, it is a good value, and lots of people making bits and pieces to improve it.

Adding diagonal braces, better bearings and a borosilicate glass bed really helped it make great prints

Not to derail, but while you are here...Up in the 7800 zone, I think some owners might like the option for a cart for the Concerto proto's that line the cart teeth up well with the port geometery, has openings for the micro-usb port and sd cart and on the front for the pokey chip. I like having the one that came with the Ultimate SD Cart.

Poor/nonexistent 3D skillset improving so I shall post my somewhat shabby in comparison picture. First attempt (draft, ABS) went fairly well, programmed the extruder change myself for the badge text. (yay!)

Not the colors I would have picked, but you get two random ABS spools for free and I got blue and that awful green :P

NqgRKJ.jpg

Sounded like a good idea, so I made that as my first 'useful thing' :)

• Like 5

Poor/nonexistent 3D skillset improving so I shall post my somewhat shabby in comparison picture. First attempt (draft, ABS) went fairly well, programmed the extruder change myself for the badge text. (yay!)

Looks pretty good, though it doesn't seem to have printed the thin layer of plastic over the rectangle for the LED to shine through?

What printer did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

Robin

I got a sample of silver/grey PLA, so I took MrFish's suggestion, and printed one to match the XE colour scheme. I got lucky with the colour, since its very close - almost a perfect match depending on the angle and the light.

post-41252-0-48785700-1500614492.jpg

post-41252-0-59486500-1500614508.jpg

The LED doesn't "glow" so well through the thin window of plastic compared to the bronze colour, but I'm still pretty happy with it.

post-41252-0-64490100-1500614524.jpg

Robin

• Like 8

Looks pretty good, though it doesn't seem to have printed the thin layer of plastic over the rectangle for the LED to shine through?

What printer did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

Robin

It actually did print with the thin covering but I removed it to see how it looked without it - it's better with it.

I went with the Flashforge Creator Pro. I'm quite happy with it so far, its capabilities clearly exceed my competence. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I got a sample of silver/grey PLA, so I took MrFish's suggestion, and printed one to match the XE colour scheme. I got lucky with the colour, since its very close - almost a perfect match depending on the angle and the light.

attachicon.gifIMG_0484.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0487.jpg

The LED doesn't "glow" so well through the thin window of plastic compared to the bronze colour, but I'm still pretty happy with it.

attachicon.gifIMG_0492.jpg

Robin

Not sure how I didn't see this earlier, I really like this.

Anyone have the STL files for the front and back of this cart? Only the logo STL fiel was available on the github site.

Thanx

Hi,

All the files are there - are you sure you are looking in the right place?

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UltimateCart/tree/master/Cartridge%20Shell%20Files

Robin