IGNORED

Could the release of Black Ice/White Noise saved the Jaguar and Atari?

Adriano Arcade

Could the release of the infamous Black Ice/White Noise saved the Jaguar and even Atari?

Myself and the rest of the Arcade Attack crew have recorded a special Atari Jaguar CD podcast for Arcade where we discuss the ill-fated peripheral, why it failed and whether Black Ice/White Noise could have helped save the Jaguar and even Atari!

Please give it a listen if you get a chance and let me know if you agree with our verdict - here are all the nice links below:

• Like 1

From everything I had read on Black Ice/White Noise, it would have been absolutely amazing and ground breaking. From what it looked like, basically an early version of Watch Dogs, where (unlike GTA) you could go inside of buildings. I don't know if they had a car driving mechanic, but truthfully in a proper Cyberpunk game, there are so many damn people, most probably walk and take mass transit...

I ain't clicking ... and NO ... no single game at the end of a disastrous run can save anything.

Did Panzer Dragoon Saga save the Sega Saturn?

And that one did release!!!

Neither did Shenmue for the Dreamcast...unfortunately in both cases, hehe. And that one had a ton of publicity behind it. I dont think there is a chance in hell that BIWN would have ended up being as good as those games, let alone save the Jaguar. Looked really cool, though.

Edited by sd32
  • Like 1

Yeah! Did Final Fantasy save Square? Wait, I'm not good at this. For reals though, not sure much could've saved the cat, there was just too much on the horizon and not enough gas in the tank. I have no idea what I'm actually talking about though.

Ha, I think the only alternative universe theory that would have saved anything Atari related was if they had actually respected developers worth a damn. I've read way too many stories about Atari promising money to companies, but never giving it out. JagVR is definitely one of the big ones where they never paid for any of the research.

I guess two things could have saved the Jaguar.

1) Money

2) Developers

Maybe if Atari had been bought out by a powerhouse rather than merging with a hard drive manufacturer (a barely known one at that), the tech could have been improved for another generation of Atari consoles... They had pissed off way too many developers, even before the Jaguar. From what I understand, it's why the C64 had much longer support than the Atari 8-bits.

• Like 2

It's fun to wander around the beta builds but there was no way a tiny development team was going to successfully put together anything like the scope they were talking about.

It would taken a major studio a long time and a lot of money to pull that game off, and it likely would've needed more powerful hardware to boot.

• Like 1

It's fun to wander around the beta builds but there was no way a tiny development team was going to successfully put together anything like the scope they were talking about.

It would taken a major studio a long time and a lot of money to pull that game off, and it likely would've needed more powerful hardware to boot.

One of the "advantages" of working at atari at that time is that we kinda thought we could do anything. No one knew any better and for the most part the "game industry" veterans hired to manage us were not of much help or had even more ambitious and crazier ideas. Some things like AVP(although the development on that should have its own book) came out fairly cutting edge admittedly a lot of stuff was a struggle....

• Like 1

If anything were to save the Jaguar, it would have been a culmination of a variety of factors often described by users of this forum. Don't forget that at this time we had TES: Daggerfall and the like, as massive open world games to play, so it wouldn't have been that revolutionary, though it may have been for consoles of the time I guess...

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all the feedback and great conversations. And thank you to everyone who listened to my little podcast. My dream is to buy a Jag CD and get the Black Ice / White Noise demo versions.

I see you're shooting for the stars.

• Like 2