IGNORED

Atari tape programs

Hello there, I recently found a 1010 tape recorder at goodwill and was super excited to hook it up to my 800XL and try some software. I tried to play my copy of Zaxxon shortly after it arrived from EBay and it seemed to be loading the program fine but then it goes into test mode. I play cartridges on my Atari 800XL just fine so I'm confused. I'm new to 8-bit computers and have never used cassettes before. Do you have any knowledge about these cassette programs and if the tape might be the issue?

You guys are misunderstanding and I am. It explaining myself well enough. I can get the thing to start loading just fine and it even goes into the Zaxxon loading screen so all seems well when all of a sudden it just goes into a test mode and there doesn't seem to be any way to boot into the game. I can only test my ram and sound etc.

Sounds to me like the tape's possibly suffering drop out towards the end of the recording, fella.

As the lads suggest, have you any other tapes to try and/or try cleaning the 1010s play head with a bit of isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud?

Have another go after the clean - you never know... else test some other tapes, bud.

Good luck - there's something about the old tapes that really adds to the nostalgia and sentiment we all feel for these great old classic machines.

• Like 1

You guys are misunderstanding and I am. It explaining myself well enough. I can get the thing to start loading just fine and it even goes into the Zaxxon loading screen so all seems well when all of a sudden it just goes into a test mode and there doesn't seem to be any way to boot into the game. I can only test my ram and sound etc.

I beg to differ. For the sake of clarity, please confirm that you were powering up the computer with both START and OPTION keys pressed.

Just to explain. Atari BASIC ROM occupies 8KB of address space (A000-BFFF). The game might expect RAM at these addresses. That's why BASIC has to be disabled by pressing the OPTION key.

The tape can be faulty, so you might try a different tape if you have one on hand or get one. If you happen to own an ordinary cassette recorder (a boombox or something better), you can record your own tapes.There is an easy-to-use software for authoring of your own tapes available. Another possibility is to use a cassette adapter.

A footnote: Atari tapes are terribly slow - 600 bps. If you would like to use your Atari computer on regular basis, get one of the disk drive replacements.

• Like 1

Yes, I am holding those keys down and explaining that I had gotten past that part but neglected to wait for all the tests to run so I might try that.

The tape did seem to have a bit of slack on first inspection like it was loose but I'll have to rewind and see if it still looks that way since I opened the package and started messing with it.

Unfortunately I do not have any other tapes on hand or a way to record my own to continue testing it. I will get some isopropyl and give my tape recorder a cleaning because I haven't done any of that yet.

Thanks for all the advice. I am interested in the machine and would like to play some games and experience what it was like to run programs off of a cassette. It blows my mind that it's possible.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...