IGNORED

Altirra 2.90 released

phaeron

Version 2.90 of my emulator Altirra is now officially released:

http://www.virtualdub.org/altirra.html

As usual, thanks to everyone for feedback and encouragement. This release is functionally the same as the last test release, but here are the highlights:

• 5200: Built-in database now provides mapper types for the popular cartridges, reducing the need to guess between 16K one-chip and two-chip.
  • Cassette: Improved randomization, more boot options, improved acceleration support.
  • Development: Many fixes to coprocessor debugging on Veronica or disk drives, export profiling data, capture debugger logs.
  • Devices: Attach multiple SCSI devices to the emulated BlackBox or MIO, change the PBI device ID on your IDE+2. Accuracy fixes for VBXE and modems.
  • Disk drives: Full emulation of popular disk drives, including: 810, 1050, US Doubler, Happy 810/1050, 1050 Turbo, Speedy 1050, XF551, Indus GT, and ATR8000. Run the original firmware and utilities for the drives, even ones that upload custom code; see track buffering, LED displays, and even boot CP/M on the drive. Emulate multiple drives at once and reenact a multi-copy between them.
  • Firmware: More fixes to the built-in firmware, and a new command to export the internal ROM sets for use on your real hardware or other emulators.
  • Hardware: CTIA emulation, change 65C816 speed on the fly without restarting, ANTIC and POKEY accuracy fixes.
  • UI: Borderless mode, improved NTSC artifacting and default palettes, hold keys on reset, take screenshots with correct aspect ratio, confirm before reset or exit, improved XEP80 display support, resizable disk dialog with drag-and-drop support.

And, now, time to start the next set of test releases:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.99-test1.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.99-test1-src.zip

• C++ compiler updated from VS2015.3 to VS2017.2.
  • System requirements change: SSE2 support is now required; 2.90 will be the last version supporting Athlon XP and Pentium III CPUs. Minimum OS is still Windows XP SP2 for now.
  • Cassette tape revamp: OSD shows %age position, current tape is saved along with other mounted images, raw FSK decoder improved, turbo decoding options added. New analysis mode writes out a multichannel audio file that can be viewed in a sound editor to compare the raw audio against the FSK and turbo decoder outputs to check where and why errors are occurring. Debugger history can now label instruction execution with tape position.
  • Debugger history window upgraded with more powerful loop detector, supporting larger loops, nested loops, and subroutine calls within loops.
  • ATBasic updated to 1.55: now compatible with programs that directly peek at the internal variable for current DATA line.
  • VideoBoard XE revamp: core version is now selectable between FX1.20, FX1.24, and FX1.26. Pre-FX1.26 cores show the VBXE-specific GR.11 emulation bug, and FX1.26 enables the new priority bit scheme. Attribute map and overlay collision detection is implemented, attribute map cells narrower than 8 pixels work now. Blits can now start and stop mid-scanline and blitter speed has been adjusted to be more accurate.
  • SCSI devices now support fast and slow timing.
  • The browser (B:) device is now supported for launching the web browser from within the emulation.
  • PS4 controllers are now detected and appear in the input UI with button and axis names.
  • Saved ATX disks now use a unique creator ID.
  • Improved high DPI support in the UI: dialogs now automatically adjust to per-monitor DPI, and the new per-monitor V2 support in Windows 10 Creator's Update is now also supported.

• Like 34

Disk drives: Full emulation of popular disk drives, including: 810, 1050, US Doubler, Happy 810/1050, 1050 Turbo, Speedy 1050, XF551, Indus GT, and ATR8000. Run the original firmware and utilities for the drives, even ones that upload custom code; see track buffering, LED displays, and even boot CP/M on the drive. Emulate multiple drives at once and reenact a multi-copy between them.

I am speechless! Thanks for this crazy cool update!

• Like 3

And, now, time to start the next set of test releases:

• ATBasic updated to 1.55: now compatible with programs that directly peek at the internal variable for current DATA line.

Thanks... lots of good additions. I knew something was brewing over there...

Is there a ROM version of the latest Altirra BASIC?

• Like 2

I couldn't resist to test turbo tapes.

Turbo 2000 (Turbo Enabled (Command control)) and all similar systems work nicely (those that are switched on by COMMAND ACTIVE and bit-banging the SIO DATA IN). The only problem I have is with higher baud rates - above 5000 bps. Real machine and a8cas-atari800 reads those just fine, Altirra's emulated data recorder behaves like a data recorder that is not keeping up with that transfer speed.

Turbo Blizzard (Turbo Enabled (Always ON)) works fine.This one is switched to turbo mode when DATA OUT is forced to be zero.

Chaos Turbo/Turbo Star (Turbo Enabled (Proceed sense)). The chaos loader reads the file header (displays found...filename), but I am not sure about the rest if the file. When the file ends, the loader just restarts. It can be an user error, because I don't have much experience with Turbo 6000 and Turbo Star. This I have tested using digitized real recordings from here: http://atomi.pl/turboStar6000.7z

@Avery did you altered Altirra Hardware Ref guide? as the VBXE part says 128x pattern size possible while Electron's dev docs (and my hardware shows) 64x is max.

"If the IN_USE bit is 1, then, when PATTERN_WIDTH+1 (1 ... 64) bytes have been copied,

the source address value is restored to its initial state for the line, and, next to this, the
PATTERN_WIDTH+1 bytes will be copied again, and the source address will be restored
again etc. until blt_width+1 bytes are copied."
Edited by Heaven/TQA

Another monumental release Avery, something for every one....

Thank you for all your work and time, it really IS appreciated...

Paul.

@Serj, see, its true, good things come to those that wait... :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

Just remember that if you have a 1050 Happy drive emulated the t200 loaders won't load..

Loaders link https://www.atarimax.com/jindroush.atari.org/data/aturbo/t2load.zip from the Atarimax page..

Other utils also on that page

https://www.atarimax.com/jindroush.atari.org/aturbo.html

A thanks to serg for the tutorial..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

lol, emutaled turbo... now my way back to childhood is complete..... :)

btw. I tried to play with it, but I couldnt find menu items as seen in Serj's video... probably something what Mclaneinc mentioned.... So I loaded T2000 atr, pressed space to start loading the tape, but it somehows ignore the tape... sound of "bits" screams, but without stripes....

Its data you are not meant to see, over scan should be set to normal for that 'back in the day look', what you see there is if your TV showed you all the data it was getting and not the normal viewable screen size.

Basically its garbage...

btw. I tried to play with it, but I couldnt find menu items as seen in Serj's video... probably something what Mclaneinc mentioned.... So I loaded T2000 atr, pressed space to start loading the tape, but it somehows ignore the tape... sound of "bits" screams, but without stripes....

Ensure you are using the 2.99-test1 release to mess with turbo tapes. Plain 2.90 is not enough.

And what kind of Turbo 2000 tape did you try - Czehoslovak Turbo 2000/KSO Turbo 2000/Lower Silesian Turbo?

The loaders that I link to in my post will give you the same result, Serg just has an xex rather than an ATR., basically load up one of the loaders so you see the Turbo 2000 and then load a cassette via the cassette interface and press space,

Remember you need beta 1 of the 2.99 series from the first post....

Serg also linked to a massive set of tapes under his video..

Edited by Mclaneinc