IGNORED

Altirra 2.90 released

phaeron

aha, 2.99 may be the missing key :)

btw. I've had turbo2000 in cartridge, that played catchy song during the load and had nice color (classic rainbow) strips ;)

btw. I used Serj's turbo archive to test the turbo feature....

In Serj's archive, there are Czechoslovak Turbo 2000 files.

Cartridge image with the "music loader" is here. MUSIKLOA.002. The question is... Does Altirra support 2KB cartridges? You can see the music loader in action.

What is more, to use the cartridge, you have to do the following:

1. Start Altirra

2. Attach the cartridge

3. Cold start (Cartridge will say "RESET")

4. Detach the cartridge

5. Hit Reset (warm start - F5)

Edited by baktra
  • Like 1

Hi Baktra, not getting your instructions to work.

I get the reset screen and then detach the cart which causes a reset anyway..

Obviously I have the cassette setup..

Something I'm doing wrong?

Paul..

XL mode?

Tried 400 - 800 and it boots to a tape loading that fails..

Edited by Mclaneinc

In Serj's archive, there are Czechoslovak Turbo 2000 files.

Cartridge image with the "music loader" is here. MUSIKLOA.002. The question is... Does Altirra support 2KB cartridges? You can see the music loader in action.

What is more, to use the cartridge, you have to do the following:

1. Start Altirra

2. Attach the cartridge

3. Cold start (Cartridge will say "RESET")

4. Detach the cartridge

5. Hit Reset (warm start - F5)

agree with Mclaneinc, detaching causes reset/selftest. but thanks anyway :)

Hi Baktra, not getting your instructions to work.

I get the reset screen and then detach the cart which causes a reset anyway..

Obviously I have the cassette setup..

Something I'm doing wrong?

Paul..

XL mode?

Tried 400 - 800 and it boots to a tape loading that fails..

Altirra forces cold start when cartridge is detached (and cannot be configured not to do it). This prevents you from using the music loader, unless I prepare a XEX version. There is a quick and dirty one attached. When you open it with Altirra 2.99, it will beep and display a garbled screen. Then press RESET and select TURBOLOAD by pressing the START key. Then load the WAVE file (File>Cassette>Load) and ensure that you have selected System>Cassette>Turbo enabled (command control). Then press RETURN to start loading.

Altirra must be configured as follows:

1. XL/XE with at least 64 KB of RAM

2. No C: device acceleration

3. BASIC disabled

Also remember that whenever you open a .xex file, Altirra unloads the cassette.

ml2.xex

Edited by baktra
  • Like 2

Its impossible to download that file?

OK now, thank you..

Can download but running it gives a screen of garbage before crashing..

Not trying to be critical, just telling you what is going on

Paul.

Edit: just saw the text above the file, just doing all that now, thank you..

All done and working....Loaded Arkanoid and got the music playing while loading...Tried a different game and the pokey music started but cut off and went back to the turbo Gray screen with bars...But it has worked on the other game..

You get very briefly after the name is displayed TS Blockloader (its very quickly on and off the screen) and then it does the standard turbo load thing...

Thank you

Edited by Mclaneinc

Its impossible to download that file?

OK now, thank you..

Can download but running it gives a screen of garbage before crashing..

Not trying to be critical, just telling you what is going on

Paul.

That's all right. I've tested the procedure myself and it works. I would blame differences in our Altirra configurations.

So Altirra tells you that the computer has crashed?

Just a last addendum. Lot of the turbo tapes from Iljor's archive are in the Turbo 2000 - BlockLoading format. This prevents you from enjoying the music, because the music loader only loads another small loader that takes control of the loading process (and doesn't play music).

So I attach a wave file where the main program is fully loaded by the music loader. I also attach another loader. It doesn't play music, but has a kind of "progress bar".

Technical note. Original Turbo 2000 uses a file format that shares the same limitations as the cassette boot file format - just one contiguous block of data. To circumvent that limitation, the exclamation mark loader was invented for standard tapes. TS BLOCKLOADER is a kind of exclamation mark loader for Turbo 2000.

visiload.xex

ALPHA.zip

Edited by baktra

Just a last addendum. The turbo tapes from Iljor's archive are in the Turbo 2000 - BlockLoading format. This prevents you from enjoying the music, because the music loader only loads another small loader that takes control of the loading process (and doesn't play music).

So I attach a wave file where the main program is fully loaded by the music loader. I also attach another loader. It doesn't play music, but has a kind of "progress bar".

Ah, this explains the blockloader message, it seems Arkanoid isn't in that format so works with the music...

Thank you for all the help and sorry about the million and one edits to my messages..

Ah, this explains the blockloader message, it seems Arkanoid isn't in that format so works with the music...

Thank you for all the help and sorry about the million and one edits to my messages..

No problem. You are being followed...

When I run the Altirra from the 2.99-zip file it shows 2.80 in the header and change log. Is this normal for betas or am I missing something. I also don't see 2.9 on the virtualdub.org site.

You've downloaded the wrong link or something.

post-30400-0-86819100-1500244293_thumb.png

Not having success trying to boot CP/M from Indus GT...

Indus GT firmware ROM (Indus GT 1.4.rom) setup in System->Firmware->Firmware Images as Indus GT Disk Drive Firmware

Indus GT disk drive (full emulation) -D1: setup in System->Devices...

ATR Image Indus RAM Charger CPM Boot.atr attached to drive D1:

Selected Indus GT: Boot CPM option from System->Console Switches

Alitrra accesses the disk then The Indus GT LED display shows E- and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.99-test2.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.99-test2-src.zip

MIO bus binding bug fixed, and SCSI bus no longer mislabeled as IDE bus.

On turbo tapes -- the decoder is still a work in progress. There are a couple of cautions regarding creating or using existing recordings of turbo tapes. Unlike the standard Atari encoding, which uses FSK and is relatively robust, turbo encodings are more sensitive to distortion. In particular, attenuation of higher frequencies can distort the waveforms and make the tapes more difficult to decode. The AST-encoded Arkanoid tape in the a8cas example archive has this problem:

post-16457-0-35015000-1500244657_thumb.png

This shifts the zero crossing times, affecting decoding. Carefully applying a high-pass filter can reverse this:

post-16457-0-05741900-1500244834_thumb.png

Currently Altirra cannot detect or correct for this issue automatically, so it is a manual process. If you are recording an actual turbo tape, turn off all enhancements on the tape deck including Dolby-B; these are not done by a normal Atari tape deck and turning them off will reduce the need to correct the recording.

The analysis mode available in the Tools menu can be useful for diagnosing these issues, though it requires a lot of elbow grease. It decodes the tape and outputs a multi-track sound file that can be opened in a sound editor:

post-16457-0-11654700-1500245216_thumb.png

The tracks, from top to bottom, are: resampled raw audio, FSK raw decoder outputs, FSK decoded data, turbo decoder AGC, turbo decoded data.

@Avery did you altered Altirra Hardware Ref guide? as the VBXE part says 128x pattern size possible while Electron's dev docs (and my hardware shows) 64x is max.

"If the IN_USE bit is 1, then, when PATTERN_WIDTH+1 (1 ... 64) bytes have been copied,
the source address value is restored to its initial state for the line, and, next to this, the
PATTERN_WIDTH+1 bytes will be copied again, and the source address will be restored
again etc. until blt_width+1 bytes are copied."

This is fixed in the emulator, but not the hardware manual yet as I release that on an independent schedule.

What are these bars (in corners and right side) in Full Overscan GTIA mode 10?

Tiny bug in horizontal + vertical blank areas. Full Overscan is actually even more than that -- it shows blank/sync regions as well, where there actually isn't any color and beyond what any TV can possibly display. It's there for when analysis modes are used since these overlay cycle timing data over the display. Extended overscan already shows the maximum display region, except for the PAL vertical border hack for which there is a separate option.

Indus GT emulation with LEDs is awesome! Thank you!
Are drive buttons mapped?
Also, with http://atarionline.pl/utils/9.%20ROM-y/BIOS-y%20-%20stacje%20dysków/Indus%20GT%201.4.romI'm getting error 139 on track 27 of Numen_A.atr.

Edit:
http://atarionline.pl/demoscena/B/Bitter%20Reality.atrdoesn't boot.

The drive buttons are available in System > Console Switches. Some of the button combos that the Indus GT requires for corner functions may be difficult to do, though. That's why the CP/M boot combo has its own entry.

Audio is also supported. For fun, run this (you may need to increase the Power-On Delay setting to give the drive time to finish init): http://atariage.com/forums/topic/205260-the-indus-gt-could-have-been-the-ultimate-copier/?p=2640869

Error 139 on enhanced density disks means that you are using an old version of the Indus GT firmware ROM. The version labeled 1.4 is actually 1.1 and is known for NAKing sector reads above sector 720 on ED disks:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/115434-new-indus-gt-firmware/?p=1395427

You need 1.2 for enhanced density to work.

When I run the Altirra from the 2.99-zip file it shows 2.80 in the header and change log. Is this normal for betas or am I missing something. I also don't see 2.9 on the virtualdub.org site.

No, that is not normal. You should be seeing 2.99-test1 in the window caption. Try manually extracting the archive instead of running the executable directly from it, in case something is wrong with the run-from-zip process.

• Like 3

I have most of the Bios roms for the disk drives..... happy 1050, Tom's, US Doubler, Indus GT etc.... Can not seem to find some of the others like the 810 stuff... I checked through my massive collection as well as AtariOnline and can not find anything. Any help appreciated.

Edited by scotty

I have most of the Bios roms for the disk drives..... happy 1050, Tom's, US Doubler, Indus GT etc.... Can not seem to find some of the others like the 810 stuff... I checked through my massive collection as well as AtariOnline and can not find anything. Any help appreciated.

See if what you need is in here (I haven't looked at everything included lately):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/256683-altirra-280-released/?p=3623373

• Like 1

Not having success trying to boot CP/M from Indus GT...

Indus GT firmware ROM (Indus GT 1.4.rom) setup in System->Firmware->Firmware Images as Indus GT Disk Drive Firmware

Indus GT disk drive (full emulation) -D1: setup in System->Devices...

ATR Image Indus RAM Charger CPM Boot.atr attached to drive D1:

Selected Indus GT: Boot CPM option from System->Console Switches

Alitrra accesses the disk then The Indus GT LED display shows E- and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

First, not sure if it affects CP/M, but switch to the 1.2 firmware (1.4 is actually 1.1).

There are two disks necessary to boot CP/M: a regular Atari bootable disk to load the terminal program on the computer, and a second disk for the drive to boot containing CP/M. The second one cannot be an ATR as that corrupts the boot sectors:

http://trub.atari8.info/index.php?ref=indus_cpm_en

However, running this repair in emulation is tricky. For Altirra, you need the repaired CP/M disk to be stored in XFD format, which I included on this post: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/256683-altirra-280-released/?p=3632276

Once you have that, the procedure is to boot the terminal disk and start the terminal emulator, then swap to the CP/M disk and hit the CP/M boot button combo on the drive. You can load both disks in the D1: and D2: slots and bind a keyboard shortcut to the rotate disk commands to make this easier.

• Like 4

I'd like to see a link on the Altirra home page for the 8,192 Byte image of Altirra Basic, and the manual. Or where can I get that. In fact, why not bundle those two items with Altirra to begin with?

Never mind. I failed to read the entire thread and just figured out how to export it. How nice.

Now all we need to do is link to (or include) with the distro package, the Altirra Basic manual and the Altirra Hardware Reference Manual.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Where can I find ATR8000 disk images to play around with?

I found them here

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220185-atr-8000-and-other-cpm-system-disks-here/page-1?hl=+atr8000%20+disk%20+images

and here

http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/atari/index.html

Bill

Edited by Bill Lange
  • Like 1

On turbo tapes -- the decoder is still a work in progress. There are a couple of cautions regarding creating or using existing recordings of turbo tapes. Unlike the standard Atari encoding, which uses FSK and is relatively robust, turbo encodings are more sensitive to distortion. In particular, attenuation of higher frequencies can distort the waveforms and make the tapes more difficult to decode. The AST-encoded Arkanoid tape in the a8cas example archive has this problem...

Quite right, this is a common problem with turbo records sampled using consumer electronics devices.

The problem with higher baud rates I observed before was re-created with "ideal" square wave signal without any distortions.

Anyway, if you would need some test wave files with ideal signal, I am your man. Unless you have already mastered a8cas or Turgen System, of course.