IGNORED

Altirra 2.90 released

phaeron

I am getting more and more frustrated with how small time program developers like Avery are being persecuted by Microsoft and the anti-virus companies.

I double clicked on the test file to open it, then Windows said to me that it can't be trusted as it is rare. I then said, "Run anyway" and then AVG kicked in saying, "Ooh, we've found a very rare file, we've sent it to our labs to be checked. Wait 485 minutes for this to be done".

I then said, "Trust anyway" and then I am getting an error from Windows that the file can't be executed. So I ended up having to switch off AVG just to run the program.

I guess it'll sort itself out in time. By the way, I heard a rumour from somewhere that in a new version of Windows, your programs will have to go through the Windows App store or they will be blocked. Is there any truth in this?

• Like 1

I am getting more and more frustrated with how small time program developers like Avery are being persecuted by Microsoft and the anti-virus companies.

I double clicked on the test file to open it, then Windows said to me that it can't be trusted as it is rare. I then said, "Run anyway" and then AVG kicked in saying, "Ooh, we've found a very rare file, we've sent it to our labs to be checked. Wait 485 minutes for this to be done".

I then said, "Trust anyway" and then I am getting an error from Windows that the file can't be executed. So I ended up having to switch off AVG just to run the program.

I guess it'll sort itself out in time. By the way, I heard a rumour from somewhere that in a new version of Windows, your programs will have to go through the Windows App store or they will be blocked. Is there any truth in this?

Thanks for warning us about AVG. I'm using Avast (Free Version) and Malwarebytes (Premium) with Win 7_x64 HP without any issue for the latest Altirra releases.

By the way, I heard a rumour from somewhere that in a new version of Windows, your programs will have to go through the Windows App store or they will be blocked. Is there any truth in this?

Software companies have wanted and dreamed of this for 10's of years now. If the rumor is true, all the more reason not use newer versions of Windows, or just switch to Linux.

That's true of Windows 10 S, but all your current issues can be squarely blamed on AVG.

I'm using AVG with Windows 7 64-bit and having no issues with any version of Altirra -- or anything else I want to use for that matter.

Thanks for warning us about AVG. I'm using Avast (Free Version) and Malwarebytes (Premium) with Win 7_x64 HP without any issue for the latest Altirra releases.

I was using Avast on one of my machines -- just as a test, to see how I liked it -- and it was preventing me from using Pigwa.net in my browser, even after setting an exception. I didn't really care too much because Pigwa is much more easily handled in a FTP program anyway. But on the next nag screen from Avast about updating/upgrading I dumped it and installed AVG in its place.

Edited by MrFish

I'm using AVG with Windows 7 64-bit and having no issues with any version of Altirra -- or anything else I want to use for that matter.

That's great, but since Windows 10 demonstrably runs Altirra without issue and disabling AVG solved the reported issue, it follows that AVG was the problem. I've been running Microsoft's own AV for years without issue.

• Like 2

File reputation plays important role in anti-virus protection, because it is simply too difficult to keep up with the newly developed malware.

If AVAST or AVG ignore exceptions then it is a bug that is to be reported and fixed in next few updates. Not a malevolence.

There is. But I think I heard its for the "S" version of windows.
If it was across all versions could you imagine the mass exodus from windows that'd take place?

I am wondering to where that mass exodus would be? macOS? GNU/Linux-based distributions? BSD? macOS appears to be most friendly to binary only distributions of commercial software, but officially runs on a certain brand of computers only.

I use the free Zone Alarm with firewall and I control every in and out via the firewall by hand, rarely get a problem, never with Altirra, had the odd false positive with packed files but its very rare. Fed up with the M$ attitude of control and cash, IF I ever go over because I have no choice and its this Windows S and it does have this app feature then we will have to see. I like my machine running how I want it to, off goes the UAC, off goes the M$ firewall, on goes the third party one.

That's great, but since Windows 10 demonstrably runs Altirra without issue and disabling AVG solved the reported issue, it follows that AVG was the problem. I've been running Microsoft's own AV for years without issue.

I guess in that case, I'm pointing out that it's only a problem under Windows 10.

I' guessing its something to do with the UAC version that is on Win 10, you can't actually turn it all off (or so I've been told)....Too much M$ eavesdropping...

But then again what do I know :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Fraid so...And updated....(obviously)..

The versions I've been using seem to be free of the CPU hog and annoyances the older ones had and trust me I've tried almost every free AV / FW, I know there's been some political dislike of Zone Alarm (pretty sure it was Zone Alarm) but I just use it because it does the job.

Software companies have wanted and dreamed of this for 10's of years now. If the rumor is true, all the more reason not use newer versions of Windows, or just switch to Linux.

Well, this was actually invented by Atari who were not happy about Activision selling Software for "their" VCS and tried to keep the innards of the 8-bits secret in order for that not to happen again and allow them to be the only ones able to sell (good) software for it ;)

P.S.: my troubles with Version 2.9(9) turned out to be caused by my improperly swapping the executables in my Mac Wine Altirra "app". They obviously need to go somewhere other than where I put them so I kept launching 2.80.

Edited by slx

by means of the utility of "Disk explorer" opened an image of the disk "Schreckenstein (1985) (Ariolasoft) (DE) [a1] .atr" and I received a fatal error.

there is a version of this game in a look *.XEX file?

post-29967-0-75894800-1500467417_thumb.jpg

Edited by serj
  • Like 1

by means of the utility of "Disk explorer" opened an image of the disk "Schreckenstein (1985) (Ariolasoft) (DE) [a1] .atr" and I received a fatal error.

there is a version of this game in a look *.XEX file?

The error can be traced to Altirra 2.8 test 1 and upward (until the current release 2.99 test 2)

The disk image directory can be explored from version 2.7 test 40 and downwards to v2.5.

madi

Edited by Madi
  • Like 1