IGNORED

Altirra 2.90 released

phaeron

Version 2.90 of my emulator Altirra is now officially released:

And, now, time to start the next set of test releases:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.99-test1.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.99-test1-src.zip

Hey Phaeron,

Thanks so much for your continued development of Altirra, amazing work!

I am using Altirra to develop an online game, and ran over a strange issue while using IP65.

Most demos (including GETURL) work perfectly fine.

But the PING example (see attached xex) returns an error code 82 in Altirra (2.8.1 and 2.9.0)

I tested on my actual 130XE with DragonCart, and the program runs just fine.

Could you kindly investigate the root cause of this problem?

Thanks in advance!

ping.xex

geturl.xex

ping.s

Is it too much to ask to add fsk mark writing in a8cas format? that will be useful to restore an old copier I have in my country.

Not opposed, no idea when.

But the PING example (see attached xex) returns an error code 82 in Altirra (2.8.1 and 2.9.0)

I tested on my actual 130XE with DragonCart, and the program runs just fine.

Altirra's NAT does not support ICMP. You'll need to use tunneling to a gateway supporting the VXLAN protocol to use pings from within the emulation.

Altirra's NAT does not support ICMP. You'll need to use tunneling to a gateway supporting the VXLAN protocol to use pings from within the emulation.

Thanks for the quick answer buddy!

By the way, WinVICE support ICMP, it is very helpful for networked games (to know the latency).

I am developping a cross-platform (C64/A8/AppleII) top-down racing game.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick answer buddy!

By the way, WinVICE support ICMP, it is very helpful for networked games (to know the latency).

I am developping a cross-platform (C64/A8/AppleII) top-down racing game.

Yes, it uses Winpcap. I've avoided using this driver because it has multiple problems: poor security (all programs can use it once it has loaded), licensing issues, and it is detected as potentially unwanted software by some antiviruses. At the time, there was also a problem with SoftEther VPN installing a Winpcap lookalike driver that has the packet sending API subtly broken. There is a new driver called Npcap that shows some promise but I haven't tried it yet.

Yes, it uses Winpcap. I've avoided using this driver because it has multiple problems: poor security (all programs can use it once it has loaded), licensing issues, and it is detected as potentially unwanted software by some antiviruses. At the time, there was also a problem with SoftEther VPN installing a Winpcap lookalike driver that has the packet sending API subtly broken. There is a new driver called Npcap that shows some promise but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for the clarification. Hope something may be worked out in future with Npcap!

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.99-test13.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.99-test13-src.zip

• Improved handling of truncated serial output bytes. This improves the load speed of some versions of Rescue on Fractalus to be more accurate -- the loader of this game has a bug where it turns off serial output too early, causing broken command frame checksums and command retries on real hardware. However, in emulation the next command frame was also getting mangled, which caused the load speed to be even lower.
  • Tape sample jittering is now disabled when turbo modes are enabled. The timing for turbo reads is too tight for this, particularly with Turbo 6000.
  • Fixed compile errors in VS2017 15.5 Preview 1 due to new warnings. (Still using 15.3.1 for now.)

Also, some additional work on the performance analyzer:

post-16457-0-23355400-1508046554_thumb.png

Traces now include the PIA control bytes and tape data for debugging tape loads. Compression has also been added to the video channel and improved on the CPU history channel to decrease the data rate. Standard 1.8MHz 6502 traces now take about 3-4MB/sec and video traces ~1MB/sec, the latter of which can be reduced further by dropping the frame rate to 25/30 or 17/20Hz in the trace settings. Finally, the tracer now automatically stops the trace by default when the buffered data reaches 500MB in a 32-bit build or 4GB in a 64-bit build to prevent running out of memory. This is generally good for at least a couple of minutes of tracing.

• Like 12

I have released Turgen System 8.6.9.

It fixes all bugs and discrepancies related to Turbo 6000 (including the ChainLoader fix) and Rambit Turbo Tape (RTT) found in this thread (and more).

Download from this folder: https://sourceforge.net/projects/turgen/files/turgen_system/turgen_system_8.6.9/

Full list of enhancements: https://sourceforge.net/p/turgen/blog/2017/10/turgen-system-869---mostly-maintenance/

• Like 3

What version are you using Yautja?

I'd recommend the very latest version (2.99 beta 13) from this page of this thread as Avery's beta are usually feature packed and VERY stable, from there in the file menu there's a save state and load state set of options...

There's also a memory dump type command in the debugger but the load and save state should be more than enough for 99% of uses, the usual warnings about loading a state in to a differing setup than it was saved from applies..

I might be wrong but I think Avery works on the notion about echoing hardware that actually exists where possible rather than 'what ifs'.

Rapidus is hardware that exists and it has 15 MB (240 banks) of linear memory. Even more - it has registers controlling the mapping of atari memory into the bank 0 of 65c816 address space. Emulating this would be handy.

• Like 2

Rapidus is hardware that exists and it has 15 MB (240 banks) of linear memory. Even more - it has registers controlling the mapping of atari memory into the bank 0 of 65c816 address space. Emulating this would be handy.

I based what I said on the quote that it wasn't used, if it can be and it has a use then Avery will have seen this via your post and then whatever happens, happens..He's the boss...

What version are you using Yautja?

I'd recommend the very latest version (2.99 beta 13) from this page of this thread as Avery's beta are usually feature packed and VERY stable, from there in the file menu there's a save state and load state set of options...

There's also a memory dump type command in the debugger but the load and save state should be more than enough for 99% of uses, the usual warnings about loading a state in to a differing setup than it was saved from applies..

Thanks for the advice! As weird as it might sound, I was using a totally outdated version (2.2X AFAIK). :_(

Regards,

- Y -

Hmmm,

just some strange thing I have noticed:

When I run Altirra 2.90 under WIN XP SP3 it runs fine. After a while I exit Altirra (via option EXIT or via the "x" button) and do something else on the PC. When I want to execute Altirra again after some time (e.g. 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, etc. after the exit) the PC powers down and reboots. (Running Altirra after this reboot again, it then works fine, but when I exit - same as before, as soon as I execute Altirra again, the PC powers down and reboots). Strange, since I do NOT try to run two versions/instances of Altirra at the same time, as said before I exit the program, but when executing it again minutes or hours later the PC powers down and reboots. Noticed this effect with Altirra 2.50, 2.60 and the newer version 2.90 (have not tested 2.70 and 2.80)... - is this WIN XP related ? (It happens with my single core 1.5Ghz AMD PC and also with my dual-core 3.1Ghz AMD PC.)

In other words, when I have booted windows, I can execute Altirra only once. Even when I exit Altirra I cannot run it again - unless I want to do a complete reboot of the system. Run Altirra again - means boot Windows again for me...?!? So Altirra acts as a reboot switch on my PC...