IGNORED

Altirra 2.90 released

phaeron

How on earth can it be that a program like RespeQt (rightfully !) has a sticky thread here, and Altirra doesn't ?!?!

I don't know. I believe that most 8-bit emulators, especially those representing VCS and Atari 400/800 are developed far enough that they are legitimate versions of the machines themselves.

• Like 1

I'm trying to make two profiles: one for an XL/XE with U1MB and SIDE2, and another for a 1088XEL with XEL-CF and a custom U1MB firmware. Everything appears to switch properly when going between the two profiles... aside from the U1MB firmware, which appears stuck on whichever I last set as the default while in either profile. So, if I set the default U1MB firmware to "U1MBNew.ROM" while I have the XL/XE profile open, then switch to the 1088XEL profile and set "1088XEL.ROM" as the default, I still have the 1088XEL ROM active when I switch back to the XL/XE profile.

Any ideas, or am I doing it wrong?

• Like 2

I'm trying to make two profiles: one for an XL/XE with U1MB and SIDE2, and another for a 1088XEL with XEL-CF and a custom U1MB firmware. Everything appears to switch properly when going between the two profiles... aside from the U1MB firmware, which appears stuck on whichever I last set as the default while in either profile. So, if I set the default U1MB firmware to "U1MBNew.ROM" while I have the XL/XE profile open, then switch to the 1088XEL profile and set "1088XEL.ROM" as the default, I still have the 1088XEL ROM active when I switch back to the XL/XE profile.

Any ideas, or am I doing it wrong?

Device firmware selections are currently not profile-specific. Only BASIC and OS are.

Still getting history window corruption, BTW, with test 22 under Windows 10 64-bit:

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Can't do anything about this until I can reproduce it.

Think I might have found something -- fix for a crash in the debugger's execution history view:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.99-test23.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.99-test23-src.zip

Happened to catch a case where the history window was crashing when refreshing the view: it was caused by trying to remove the preview ("NEXT") node when the whole view had already been cleared. Might have been responsible for the repaint issue too, as it could have caused tree node pool corruption.

• Like 6

Windows 10 version 1709 does indeed have some major and somewhat broken display changes, but as far as I know those are mainly in the Direct3D paths. What you've got there is an old fashioned GDI refresh bug and probably related to the rework I did on the history control to allow it to work on traces.

Is it possible that the Win10 v1790 update also introduced the *slightest* of input delays? I mean like minuscule, a fraction of a second. I noticed it while playing some games in "Altirra-2.99-test22" today. If I weren't playing a game that I was so intimately familiar with playing on real hardware the issue probably would have escaped my notice. I downloaded "Altirra-2.99-test25" to see if it was still present but it seemed so there too. So I re-installed "Altirra 2.71" and "disable fullscreen optimizations" in the compatability tab so that I could go fullscreen. The delay didn't seem present there. Then I went back to "2.99-test25" and clicked "disable fullscreen optimizations" there. I swear that the problem went away.

Like I said, the delay seems so minuscule that I almost want to say that it's all in my head. Is anyone else seeing the same issue? Or am I just loopy?

• Like 1

I'm not saying this is the case but some people mistake latency in sound to a delay in the graphics ie playing a shooter and you press the fire button, the shot sound of explosion etc just seems late so decide the graphics are slow when its not that at all and a mess about with the Audio latency in System Audio will mostly cure it (if the PC is up to it). As for actual lag on the input, I cannot say I've noticed but my reflexes are not as sharp ad they once were so its possible but I would have most likely still noticed something.

Careful what you have running along side Altirra etc, I've noticed that Firefox has become a hog as of late, stuttering in Skype if FF is running in the background, not responding message from FF etc etc, I don't know what is wrong but you don't get the same with Chrome.as long as you don't have too many extensions added.

Just noticed, its Windows 10, oh crikey, anything is possible :)

And an odd enquiry from me to Avery (or anyone who knows the answer), I notice that enabling VBXE make it ignore the Hires Pal artifacting...Does that have to happen?

I know, in these days of wanting crystal clear displays I rather like the look it was on my old TV / Comp monitor and PAL artifacting just looks sweet to me.

You can't please them all as they say :)

Thanks and Merry Xmas / Happy Holidays all..

Edited by Mclaneinc

You don't get artifacting as such on an RGB display, so it makes sense to disable it. There's a specific VBXE core (on real hardware) which does enable PAL colour blending, but since this is at the expense of the FX core, you might as well just turn off VBXE emulation if you want this stuff.

Still get the history window corruption with the latest test version, but it's hardly worth mentioning until I can figure out a way for Avery to reproduce it. It's not a serious issue, although it appears confined to folded code sections.

Thanks for the answer Jon, I just like the look of it and since there's no where near the DB of VBXE stuff about I rarely use it, I just had previously tried something with VBXE and when I booted up the next day on a game I wondered where the PAL Artifacting had gone (not remembering I'd been using the VBXE the day before and it was still enabled)

Good luck with that corruption issue, hope the pair of you can reproduce / fix it...

There are a few options in the emulator which don't immediately reset dependent settings until the emulator is restarted or a cold reset performed. PAL/NTSC is one: aspect ratio changes on the fly but the palette doesn't change until a cold reboot. Possibly that is or was the case with artifacting, which may explain why you didn't notice until the next day.

Is it possible that the Win10 v1790 update also introduced the *slightest* of input delays? I mean like minuscule, a fraction of a second. I noticed it while playing some games in "Altirra-2.99-test22" today. If I weren't playing a game that I was so intimately familiar with playing on real hardware the issue probably would have escaped my notice. I downloaded "Altirra-2.99-test25" to see if it was still present but it seemed so there too. So I re-installed "Altirra 2.71" and "disable fullscreen optimizations" in the compatability tab so that I could go fullscreen. The delay didn't seem present there. Then I went back to "2.99-test25" and clicked "disable fullscreen optimizations" there. I swear that the problem went away.

Like I said, the delay seems so minuscule that I almost want to say that it's all in my head. Is anyone else seeing the same issue? Or am I just loopy?

Yes. 1709 basically tries to force exclusive fullscreen apps into borderless mode, which can then add one frame of latency due to the DWM. This behavior seems fully directed toward allowing other programs to draw on top -- I have yet to see it "optimize" anything. So please submit feedback in the Windows Feedback Hub, and tell Microsoft they need to fix what they broke.

There are a few options in the emulator which don't immediately reset dependent settings until the emulator is restarted or a cold reset performed. PAL/NTSC is one: aspect ratio changes on the fly but the palette doesn't change until a cold reboot. Possibly that is or was the case with artifacting, which may explain why you didn't notice until the next day.

This is only true if you have VBXE enabled. Otherwise, the colors will also change immediately.

• Like 4

I would like to but I'm not quite sure that I even know the correct words to use.

For each program you see this problem in (such as this one), file feedback under the category specific for that program (it'll appear as a subcategory under the Apps category when running). You just need to say the same thing you said here, which is that there seems to be slightly more lag unless you disable the fullscreen optimizations. That should be enough for them to know it is latency or frame delay problem. The key is that you should also do this while the program is running with "disable fullscreen optimizations" unchecked, i.e. showing the problem, and capture a Performance trace of it. This will appear as an option when you select Problem as the feedback type, and then you can do Start Capture. This captures a telemetry log which should give them detailed information about what's going on with when the CPU is running and when frames are going out.

• Like 4

Hello. I wanted to bring to your attention that a few new mappers have been identified based on aDawliah cartridge NA0002. Please check this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230100-could-be-the-oldest-arabic-os-najm/page-2

It would be great if Altirra can support these mappers (69 and 70). @Kr0tki has reverse-engineered these two for the community based on a few cartridges from aDawliah. Thanks.

• Like 1