IGNORED

Reproduction Prototype Mockups?

JagCD

Well, I've been on this forum for years -- and still lust after some of the really rare, unproduced

Atari prototypes like the Atari 2100 and JagDuo consoles.

But -- I've seen some of the transactions for the real thing.... and can't remotely afford $15,000.

But now that 3D printing is far more common -- Is there anyone that can scan one of these rare

prototypes so they can 3D print some replicas.

For me -- it doesn't need to be functional.... Just a static replica works for me.

I'm sure some of the more resourceful people could always squeeze in an FPGA board to

build a functional one. But, I'd love a mock up of some of this stuff.

That would be amazing -- and I can afford a few hundred dollars.... Thousands of dollars is

when I get priced out of the hobby.

Edited by JagCD

Well, I've been on this forum for years -- and still lust after some of the really rare, unproduced

Atari prototypes like the Atari 2100 and JagDuo consoles.

But -- I've seen some of the transactions for the real thing.... and can't remotely afford $15,000.

But now that 3D printing is far more common -- Is there anyone that can scan one of these rare

prototypes so they can 3D print some replicas.

For me -- it doesn't need to be functional.... Just a static replica works for me.

I'm sure some of the more resourceful people could always squeeze in an FPGA board to

build a functional one. But, I'd love a mock up of some of this stuff.

That would be amazing -- and I can afford a few hundred dollars.... Thousands of dollars is

when I get priced out of the hobby.

I think you will be hard pressed to find someone who shelled out $15k for one of these that is willing to have their item 3d scanned so

others can have shoddy replicas for comparatively next to nothing.

• Like 1

I think you will be hard pressed to find someone who shelled out $15k for one of these that is willing to have their item 3d scanned so

others can have shoddy replicas for comparatively next to nothing.

Why would that matter? There are other reproductions being made in the retro community. "The 64" reproduction

desktop and handheld of the Commodore 64 and the Mega 65 for the unreleased Commodore 65. Why are

Commodore people so cool about supporting fans -- yet so many (not all) Atari people seem to enjoy acting like dicks....

The Mega 65 isn't going to negatively impact the value of Commodore 65's. If anything, it will generate more interest

towards the lost system.

Overcharging on eBay seems to be mostly an Atari thing. Besides the Commodore 65 prototypes, nearly everything

to collect for Commodore systems is reasonably priced. Same for collecting for TI99a, ColecoVision or Intellivision.

I just don't get what is wrong with a lot of Atari people. Collecting this stuff is about keeping the memories or legacy

going for me -- sharing it with future generations.

Besides, this is an opportunity for people who own some of the rare Atari stuff -- to probably make a couple thousand

dollars off relatively easy work. They could always engrave "Reproduction" in the base if they are worried about it

being resold.

Edited by JagCD

It does matter to some. They're just so concealing and tight fisted they'll buy stuff and then bury it in a personal vault of sorts to keep it off the market. There's a known slug in Japan who buys who off usually Yahoo Japan and other regional services Famicom prototypes and other systems somewhat too. He'll pay up for the stuff well, then bury it. Never a rom dump, not even the courtesy of a picture or a few shots of the game running. It just disappears into the mists which I mean is fine and all for that guy but monumentally f'd up for gaming historians (and yeah pirates too) in general as it likely will end up losing and destroying bits of history permanently for personal greedy (yet not reselling monetarily) gain.

• Like 2

It does matter to some. They're just so concealing and tight fisted they'll buy stuff and then bury it in a personal vault of sorts to keep it off the market. There's a known slug in Japan who buys who off usually Yahoo Japan and other regional services Famicom prototypes and other systems somewhat too. He'll pay up for the stuff well, then bury it. Never a rom dump, not even the courtesy of a picture or a few shots of the game running. It just disappears into the mists which I mean is fine and all for that guy but monumentally f'd up for gaming historians (and yeah pirates too) in general as it likely will end up losing and destroying bits of history permanently for personal greedy (yet not reselling monetarily) gain.

That's actually pretty depressing. When you think about how much of these rare items have already been tossed into dumpsters due to various bankruptcies or company closings..... Now you have hoarders that are basically clinging to these things to hide them forever..... I'm sure quite a few of these items will be lost forever due to their actions, since eventually these hoarders will pass away and future generations won't have a clue what these devices actually are (and will probably send them to the dumpster or recycling agency).

I think it's despicable to hoard works of art. My favourite slogan on private property is that "all belongs to all". The collective effort of generations went into making geniuses and talented people alive, so their efforts belong to everybody. It's even worse when someone hoards art for their own singular interest.

...communism...?

It is the exact opposite. By producing reproductions -- the owners of these rare prototypes could make quite a bit of money while not having to part with the original. That's full blown capitalism and it rewards the people clever enough to track down those rare prototypes.

Think about it this way -- Do you think the DeLorean sports car would be remembered without the Back to the Future movies? I doubt it. But by featuring this rare car in those movies -- it gave the DeLorean a legacy and keeping it in the public's memory. Atari has quietly faded away since the collapse of Atari Inc. and Atari Corporation. These prototype replicas can give an idea of some of the clever ideas that Atari was working on -- and show what could have been.

I am very proud to have donated to the Mega 65 computer project -- that is exactly what I'm talking about. The Commodore 65 really would have made a wonderful replacement to the Commodore 64..... But after all that development money spent, Commodore never put it into production. Thankfully, these fans will see it through -- and get very close to what the original 65 would have been.

It's a cool project for those that don't know about it:

http://mega65.org/

Edited by JagCD

It is the exact opposite. By producing reproductions -- the owners of these rare prototypes could make quite a bit of money while not having to part with the original. That's full blown capitalism and it rewards the people clever enough to track down those rare prototypes.

OK well I've got a great idea for you then! Take a loan out from the bank for say $10k or $15k, go buy one of these uber super duper rare things, 3d scan it, 3d print it, then make these copies that are sure to make quite a bit of money, pay off the loan and then PROFIT! And you won't even have to part with the original or the 3d printer! It's a free uber rare video game thingy for you! You can't loose right?

• Like 1

OK well I've got a great idea for you then! Take a loan out from the bank for say $10k or $15k, go buy one of these uber super duper rare things, 3d scan it, 3d print it, then make these copies that are sure to make quite a bit of money, pay off the loan and then PROFIT! And you won't even have to part with the original or the 3d printer! It's a free uber rare video game thingy for you! You can't loose right?

This is precisely why I consider myself a Commodore enthusiast and not an Atari one. Time after time, Atari people can't resist acting like douchebags. Some people have family and kids and couldn't qualify for a $15,000 loan no matter how much they wanted it -- yet you couldn't resist throwing insults around. Maybe that is the core reason Atari failed -- because the "so called" fans gave it a bad reputation. I've never seen this crap on the Sega forums, the Commodore boards or even the classic Nintendo forums. So many Atari people chose to be ***holes -- and it mostly a phenomenon unique to the Atari community. Pathetic.

Edited by JagCD

NEO GEO?

I have friends who collect Neo Geo. Neo Geo fans aren't this bad (at least on forums and at retro festivals). Although, that community is also guilty of overcharging for rare carts on eBay. In their defense, the carts originally sold new for $200 for the AES -- so Neo Geo collecting was always expensive.

Edited by JagCD

I have friends who collect Neo Geo. Neo Geo fans aren't this bad (at least on forums and at retro festivals). Although, that community is also guilty of overcharging for rare carts on eBay. In their defense, the carts originally sold new for $200 for the AES -- so Neo Geo collecting was always expensive.

How do you go from hoarding protos to overcharging on ebay?

How do you go from hoarding protos to overcharging on ebay?

I wasn't aware that SNK had that much unreleased stuff (although I never followed Neo Geo that closely).

Is there something in particular that you referring to?

Edited by JagCD

This is precisely why I consider myself a Commodore enthusiast and not an Atari one. Time after time, Atari people can't resist acting like douchebags. Some people have family and kids and couldn't qualify for a $15,000 loan no matter how much they wanted it -- yet you couldn't resist throwing insults around. Maybe that is the core reason Atari failed -- because the "so called" fans gave it a bad reputation. I've never seen this crap on the Sega forums, the Commodore boards or even the classic Nintendo forums. So many Atari people chose to be ***holes -- and it mostly a phenomenon unique to the Atari community. Pathetic.

I never mentioned any specific video game brand. I was using your logic to suggest if this really is as viable you believe it is that you should bring this idea to life yourself.

I never mentioned any specific video game brand. I was using your logic to suggest if this really is as viable you believe it is that you should bring this idea to life yourself.

Only the jerk comments seem to occur on the Atari forums.

What are you even talking about? Sarcasm?

It is one thing to be sarcastic and light-hearted. Its another to be hostile. Perhaps I hang out too much in the Jaguar section,

but I can't help but see a ton of hostility on this forum that I just don't detect on the other retro forums.

I remember getting chewed up and trashed over the semantics of using the term "majority." Which seems so ridiculous

in hindsight -- but it happened (I used it in the form of simple majority instead of the more commonly accepted absolute

majority). That thread went on for days......

It is one thing to be sarcastic and light-hearted. Its another to be hostile. Perhaps I hang out too much in the Jaguar section,

but I can't help but see a ton of hostility on this forum that I just don't detect on the other retro forums.

I remember getting chewed up and trashed over the semantics of using the term "majority." Which seems so ridiculous

in hindsight -- but it happened (I used it in the form of simple majority instead of the more commonly accepted absolute

majority). That thread went on for days......

You don't need to say anymore. Now I get it. Thanks.

I know some people who are good with wood and plastic and will make you anything you want if you give them time and money. I'm sure they could make a replicate console case if you brought them the needed information. A friend of mine had for years a little tiny wood carved NES deck that he prized.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I know some people who are good with wood and plastic and will make you anything you want if you give them time and money. I'm sure they could make a replicate console case if you brought them the needed information. A friend of mine had for years a little tiny wood carved NES deck that he prized.

That would be awesome. Maybe you could PM some contact information. I've got pictures and basic dimensions, I guess that's a start.

• 2 weeks later...