IGNORED

New 2600, 5200, 7800 Homebrew Games in AtariAge Store!

Albert

We're happy to announce the arrival of a new slate of games for the Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800 consoles. Click on any of the following boxes to learn more! Don't forget you can view a gameplay video for each game by clicking the "Video" tab.

2600_Anguna_Box_Front_news.jpg 2600_Assembloids_Box_Front_news.jpg 2600_Drive_Box_Front_news.jpg 2600_GizzleWap_Box_Front_news.jpg 2600_LEM_Box_Front_news.jpg 2600_PankyThePanda_Box_Front_news.jpg 2600_Scramble_Box_Front_news.jpg 5200_Ratcatcher_Box_Front_news.jpg 7800_CrystalQuest_Box_Front_news.jpg 7800_SuperCircusAtariAge_Box_Front_news. 7800_TimeSalvo_Box_Front_news.jpg

Here's a list of all the games broken down by system:

Atari 2600

• Anguna - Defeat the Goblin King in this Zelda-like fantasy action-adventure for the 2600.
  • Assembloids 2600 - An addictive, fast-paced reaction game for the whole family and high score fanatics!
  • Drive! - Escape the crumbling temple with your treasure, driving over the bridge as fast as you can!
  • The Gizzle Wap - You must remove the Strange Red Tree and defeat the Invicta!
  • L.E.M. - The L.E.M. never failed in any mission assigned to it. Can you keep its record untarnished?
  • Panky the Panda - Your brother has been kidnapped by poachers -- can you save him in time?
  • Scramble - How far can you invade our Scramble system?
Atari 5200
  • Ratcatcher - The city sewer has been overrun by nasty critters, grab some friends and clean it out!
Atari 7800 You can also browse all the newest games here.

Have fun!

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

What a huge difference the NES-converted gamepad makes for Crystal Quest. tried it with the stock stick and it was almost unplayable. With the gamepad, it's a fast, fun platformer.

Panky Panda I didn't try with the stock stick, but it also works great with the NES gamepad and is arguably one of the best games of its kind on the 2600.

• Like 1

What a huge difference the NES-converted gamepad makes for Crystal Quest. tried it with the stock stick and it was almost unplayable. With the gamepad, it's a fast, fun platformer.

Panky Panda I didn't try with the stock stick, but it also works great with the NES gamepad and is arguably one of the best games of its kind on the 2600.

NES-converted gamepad?!? What is this you speak of?

I too have noticed this new golden age of home-brews to be difficult with original joysticks. I have a Genesis gamepad but it's still a little imprecise in turns. I'd love another alternative.

What a huge difference the NES-converted gamepad makes for Crystal Quest. tried it with the stock stick and it was almost unplayable.

Can't agree with that one. I've played BBCQ for hours on the PainLine, and have to say that its controls are as tight and precise as you can get with those controllers. And I hate those controllers! It also makes use of both buttons in a way that is intuitive and natural to gameplay and in a manner that most others on the 7800 do not. But I'm sure that the 7800pad makes for a much more enjoyable experience. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Found two keys in Panky the Panda. I don't want anyone easter eggs to bother with finding. Last I need is hearing of secrets in Panky the Panda and A VCS Challenge after no one found that one easter egg in haunted adventure trilogy. Some of the jumps in Panky are ridiculous

Pankys physics are broken. He slides way too much and there are stupid jumps like going to the candle that can't be made. This is the atari 2600 not repeat not the nes keep that stupid lame jump from hell stuff on the NES. I won't make games cause people would wine about them being easy. I have anxiety and it goes crazy went stupid difficulty spikes in games. It something causes people to throw controllers in a game take it out. Too many times jumps don't work because of collisions with ladders sticking out of the floors.

Anyone beat Panky the Panda yet? I got stuck in one part after getting the green key where you have to go down and to the left to get the yellow key but someone forgot to put a platform under the ladder at the top of a green screen preventing anyone from reaching the key.

:thumbsdown: That lowly reseller should be locked out from buying anything from Atari Age.

Atari 7800

• T:ME Salvo - Far into the future, save the Eloi from the evil Morlocks!

Nice! I noticed T:ME Salvo similar to the arcade game Targ. Actually looks almost exact to an old game I used to play on the Vic20 and Commodore 64 called Crossfire. I preferred the Vic20 version due to the twinstick capability via keyboard, almost modded a Vic20 just to get true dual stick as in the arcade game Robotron.

Please release this game coded for the 5200. The 5200 float sticks work so much better as dual stick vs the stiff 7800 sticks.

Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_(1981_video_game)

Crossfire_%28Apple_II%29.png

Edited by CRTGAMER

Anyone beat Panky the Panda yet? I got stuck in one part after getting the green key where you have to go down and to the left to get the yellow key but someone forgot to put a platform under the ladder at the top of a green screen preventing anyone from reaching the key.

I passed the game using Stella and save states, so I know it's doable.

NES-converted gamepad?!? What is this you speak of?

I too have noticed this new golden age of home-brews to be difficult with original joysticks. I have a Genesis gamepad but it's still a little imprecise in turns. I'd love another alternative.

I think he means one of these:

16421645617_f50a96caf4_b.jpg

I followed an online tutorial to convert my NES pad to 7800 pinout. Just Dpad + A/B, Start and Select are non-functional, LOL! It is by far the best Gamepad for playing Atari platformers such as Bentley Bear. Genesis 3-button gamepads also work on most 2600 games.

Pankys physics are broken. He slides way too much and there are stupid jumps like going to the candle that can't be made. This is the atari 2600 not repeat not the nes keep that stupid lame jump from hell stuff on the NES. I won't make games cause people would wine about them being easy. I have anxiety and it goes crazy went stupid difficulty spikes in games. It something causes people to throw controllers in a game take it out. Too many times jumps don't work because of collisions with ladders sticking out of the floors.

It's not broken. And yes, I got the candle. You need the super boots to reach it. Cycle through powerups by hitting down on the gamepad/joystick, which can be a bit tricky with accidental diagonals on 8-way joysticks. I die a lot in this game but repetition makes be a better player in the end. And the game does let you continue with all the keys and items in your inventory.

The game map does spread quite far to the east. So far I have the blue, orange, and red keys, and the super boots, ice boots, candle, holy book, and flute.

I did run into a snag past the long, dark chasm and the ice area, where little piggy is running back and forth in a pit. I cannot jump over it without dying, with either the super boots or normal jump.

Maybe timing is impeccable? Jumps are tricky in this game, but nothing anywhere near Megaman level of difficulty. Also you typically only get one enemy onscreen to deal with at a time, though there's a couple of screens with both fireballs and bats, which can get annoying.

Not yet. About half done I recon. Still need to find three more keys.

When I bought my 7800, I got it with the Atari gamepad. It works great.

http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/photos/atari_7800pal_controller_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...