IGNORED

Cast Aluminum FinalGROM Case

Gip-Gip

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a cast aluminum case for your FinalGROM 99?

• Yes
    • Depends on the price
    • Maybe
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

My FinalGROM arrived in the mail yesterday with a slew of new casting gear such as fresh greensand and a 1kg graphite crucible. This is no coincidence as I am planning to make a cast aluminum case that will protect the FG from both physical and verbal damage. I currently cannot access my foundry until the weekend but now we can discuss things like buttons, LEDs, screws, costs, and more!

I ordered in advance 10 buttons and 5 green LEDS you can use if you bought the clear board or feel like hacking something together (what I'll have to do). I will also provide simple solid aluminum push-through "buttons" if you're feeling really unadventurous.

I'll first attempt to use an addition/subtraction cart as a reference, but if the walls are too thin I may commission someone like c0d3m4st4 to make a thick-walled variant

This project will take some time so if you want one hopefully sooner wait here. I'm making this mostly for myself (to improve my casting skills) and producing them is more or less a byproduct. Please don't expect me to churn them out, in other words.

I'm thinking about selling them for ~$24. It may cost less/more depending on how much the case weighs, how long it takes to make it, etc. but personally I believe it to be a pretty good ballpark figure.

• Like 3

I'm thinking about selling them for ~$24. It may cost less/more depending on how much the case weighs, how long it takes to make it, etc. but personally I believe it to be a pretty good ballpark figure.

How far are you from Lawrenceville? :)

~31 miles. I live near Pendergrass

Nice to see another Georgia resident!

Awesome! I ought to get you to come to our Atlanta Historical Computing Society Monthly meeting. PM me your email address and I'll send info when I get next month's location.

• Like 1

How granular can the finish be? Can the texture emulate an original cart, or will it be a smooth finish?

I could emulate the original texture pretty easily, it's just a matter of whether you think it looks good or not. I was personally thinking of a Hi-Fi vibe but if you like the granular finish just tell me!

Yeah.

The brushed aluminum look, emulating the original computer, would be cool.

I was thinking along the lines of the original cartridge Granular texture. But the brushed look would be nice.

You are the artistic soul making them. What feels best to you!?

Yeah. Granular texture, emulating the original cartridge, would be cool.

If you can make it look like the brushed aluminum shell on the TI, that would look CLASSY with a black label.

I'll make a matte-granular, a polished-granular and a polished cart that we can vote on. I'll sell all 3 but it would be nice to know which one looks best to everyone

Edited by Gip-Gip
  • Like 2

Yes. Photos.

(1) Polished '88 Mile Per Hour DeLorean' model.

(2) Polished-granular model, to be left the natural aluminum color.

(3) Matte-granular model, to be painted beige or black to match your console.

• Like 1

Are there any static discharge concerns or conductive portions of the cartridge slot to be aware of ?

Not that I know of. So long as the case is properly isolated everything should be as dangerous as a normal plastic case

I also wonder if the aluminum would scratch up the "coffee warmer" part of the TI. Still, an aluminum cart is a cool idea.

Not unless you deliberately try to scratch it. I will take the required steps to round off all edges

• Like 1

I would like one. Probably the only potential issue with it would be if the case somehow shorted out some traces in the connector area. . and some electrical tape would solve that issue. You could even use some of the liquid electrical tape brushed on the inside at strategic points to guarantee isolation.

• Like 2

Also, if anyone felt so inclined, you could clear coat it no? You'd probably have to pickle the aluminum first. That's what we had to do when I was a steeplejack painting flagpoles that were aluminum.

I will research the subject and decide if the cart would benefit from it. Thanks for the suggestion!

I would like one. Probably the only potential issue with it would be if the case somehow shorted out some traces in the connector area. . and some electrical tape would solve that issue. You could even use some of the liquid electrical tape brushed on the inside at strategic points to guarantee isolation.

I was thinking about applying silicone to the parts that come in contact with the board. Thanks for bringing it up!

Edited by Gip-Gip
  • Like 3