IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

Not a popular opinion but for me the closer to 1:1 the increase in my happiness goes. I had oddball garbage standing out on a shelf next to other stuff as it's an OCD(like) eye sore to me, bugs the crap out of me.

If you're into those types of colored carts, I'd probably say don't go digging too deep on aliexpress because for over a year now they've been selling I think around the $60-70 mark 1:1 external looking copies of around a half dozen expensive N64 titles, Worms being one, others like Sculptors Cut and Bomberman 2nd Attack as well. I saw a pic at one time, the internal board/chips are of good solid quality and not ghetto looking like the old days so they should last but without internal inspection you'd never know you got one. Just something to consider for anyone buying $100+ N64 games on ebay that don't have pics of the boards.

Funk--Actually for a much as people love to cumulatively crap on the N64 games and the 'weirdo controller' as you put it -- it's more of an internet lore thing to just be douchy to it because PSOne was just so far ahead in popularity and sales on a global level 20 years ago, it was cool to be a dick to n64 owners then as it is now.

Truth is there are a couple dozen(or more) games on that system that really do stand out as fantastic titles that should be at least tried if not really played out, many unique, but others being high quality ports. Whatever you watched, if it just threw down the 1st and 2nd(Rare) party gauntlet they're pretty much universally safe bets but I'd still read up depending on your tastes. Third party though there's some really good things. Some being ports (Nightmare Creatures, Resident Evil 2, Mega Man64 aka Megaman Legends) of PS1 games or the conversions/unique franchise fun like RIdge Racer 64. There's also arcade carry overs mainly what Midway did that was just a lot of stunning quality works -- Gauntlet Legends, Hydro Thunder, R2R Boxing 1 and 2 or Rare/Nintendo's Killer Instinct Gold(KI2.) We even got a few wicked PC games also on there from Lucasarts -- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Star Wars Rogue Squadron and especially Star Wars Shadows of the Empire.

For all those conversions there were some fantastic titles from lots of people. Konami put out Castlevania Legacy of Darkness(the only awesome 3D title of that franchise), and 2 amazing Ganbare Goemon games (1 ZeldaOOT like, 1 sidescroller), Hybrid Heaven, etc. Hudson put up 3 really solid Bomberman games, one being a Mario like Adventure(BM Hero which I prefer.) People seem to really flock to Beetle Adventure Racing from EA which is a game engine conversion of Need for Speed3. The system has quite a few arcade fighters and racing games if you're into that, maybe too many, wrestling games as well.

I'd do some research as there are a lot of solid games, and if the price on some of them due to faux market imagined or true rarity sicken you, a $100 everdrive would solve that problem.

If you can get an import adapter -- Sin & Punishment and the sadly expensive Bangaioh are a must, yet there are others too worth a peek.

• Like 2

There are some games I totally want to try at least. Killer Instinct Gold, Zelda OoT, perfect Dark, Quake, and Smash Bros.

I don't like emulation in general because it always seems to have some sort of trade-offs with the original hardware, but especially on that system because the button layout is so different from the rest. And so I've not played much of the library outside of what my roommate had: Mario 64, Duke 3D, Goldeneye, and Wave race are all games I've played and enjoyed. Some wrestling game too that wound up being fun. WCW something. Another fun four player game.

I'm excited to have it but don't know where to start. Your post was helpful.

If you can get an import adapter -- Sin & Punishment and the sadly expensive Bangaioh are a must, yet there are others too worth a peek.

You don't need an adapter - if you have the security screw bit then open up the N64 and remove the tabs inside the cartridge slot in the top of the case with a knife or Dremel.

• Like 1

You don't need an adapter - if you have the security screw bit then open up the N64 and remove the tabs inside the cartridge slot in the top of the case with a knife or Dremel.

Or for $10, if you want to feel special, you can get a 3D printed cart slot that will accept Japanese games.

• Like 1

Some wrestling game too that wound up being fun. WCW something. Another fun four player game.

WCW/NWO Revenge perhaps? An AMAZING game and one which can be had (even on ebay) very cheap.

WCW vs. The World

WCW/NWO Revenge

WWF Wrestlemania 2000

WWF No Mercy

They're ALL amazing games, with Revenge being the best balanced IMO.

• Like 1

That's why things like these exist.

There are other reasons I don't like emulation. It just feels wrong vs. the real hardware, even when the controller is a match. I'm happy to buy a used console and an Everdrive to get as close to the real thing as possible. :D The only emulator that makes it feel "right" is Sega Fusion with all of its CRT simulation magic. No other emulator that I've used comes close to fuzzing it up right.

WCW/NWO Revenge perhaps? An AMAZING game and one which can be had (even on ebay) very cheap.

WCW vs. The World

WCW/NWO Revenge

WWF Wrestlemania 2000

WWF No Mercy

They're ALL amazing games, with Revenge being the best balanced IMO.

I think it was WCW vs. The World, but I can't be sure. Regardless, it was ridiculously fun. Definitely looking forward to trying out the rest. Wrestlemania 2000 roster looks like peak WWE for me. After college I had to work a lot of evenings and I lost track of pro wrestling, but the roster in Wrestlemania 2000 is full of nostalgic names for me.

Edited by derFunkenstein

The HDMI Mod is back. Couldn't get a good shot with the lights on but this thing has green LED light pouring out of all vents, etc., and a back lit N64 emblem. Also has 3D printed cart slot for (as of yet to be obtained) Japanese imports.

Speaking of which, what games are worth importing for an english speaker? Would really like to get Sin and Punishment...but what else?

Also need to get the ROM for the English translation of Animal Crossing soon...

post-38373-0-59889900-1502297974_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Perhaps, but I learned my lesson mutilating my original SNES tabs. Over time the slot loosened up and I had to start wedging paper/cardboard in there so the games would stay active. I like to leave my systems as is and the adapter I got game with the 2 games in a lot off ebay a few years back and was well undervalued too (right place, time situation.)

So I got a couple of games yesterday (Mario 64, Goldeneye, and Quake 64) only to find out nothing would boot. Had to do a bit of Googling but it looks like the jumper pak is a requirement if there's no expansion pack installed. The eBay seller gave me a runaround at first saying what was included was explicitly listed in the auction and there was no jumper pak listed. He also said it was "working".He did end up giving me a partial refund so I can buy one, but my system and I are not off on the right foot. LOL

Note to anybody who reads this thread: if you're selling a system without a mandatory component, you should explicitly state that in the auction. All he got for his trouble was grief and a dissatisfied customer.

Anyway, I ordered a replacement jumper pak from Stone Age Gamer as soon as I figured out what went wrong. Might be here Saturday.

Wow that seller is a scumbag. Realistically, legally, whatever you want to call it speaking, you should never have to tell someone the N64 comes with a jumper pack as it's a stock required part to even function. It SHOULD 100% be listed as missing as that's fraud selling a working non-working system. Hopefully he refunded enough to get that jumper at no cost to you shipping and all as that was really sleazy. I'd put a feedback in there going, had to request partial refund because seller sold a system without part of the system so it wouldn't turn on and work. He can grumble all he wants with some counter-feedback but people will know he attempted to deceive.

Wow that seller is a scumbag. Realistically, legally, whatever you want to call it speaking, you should never have to tell someone the N64 comes with a jumper pack as it's a stock required part to even function. It SHOULD 100% be listed as missing as that's fraud selling a working non-working system. Hopefully he refunded enough to get that jumper at no cost to you shipping and all as that was really sleazy. I'd put a feedback in there going, had to request partial refund because seller sold a system without part of the system so it wouldn't turn on and work. He can grumble all he wants with some counter-feedback but people will know he attempted to deceive.

I'm still debating what to do with the feedback. He refunded enough that I was totally reimbursed for my jumper purchase, so I guess no harm no foul, but I'm still annoyed. It won't be universally positive feedback, to say the least.

I'm still debating what to do with the feedback. He refunded enough that I was totally reimbursed for my jumper purchase, so I guess no harm no foul, but I'm still annoyed. It won't be universally positive feedback, to say the least.

If it were me I'd leave a neutral, and if he sells enough DSR(stars) are very important for priority display in listings and best of all discounts. I'd put a 1 star down for description and another for communication since he didn't sell a working complete system and was a jerk about when confronted.

I still have an old N64 jumper lying around from Nintendo, lost the original one years ago when some stuff happened as the 4MB exp is in the system. Found another and I keep it in my small parts bin just in case. If the 4MB ever fails or I get a system that lacks one needing a test it's good to have.

I'd like it better if there was just two shoulder buttons total, and a toggle to switch the left button between Z and L since you never need both at the same time (that I know of), but that's a good lookin' controller. I'm in for $20.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

It does look nice, but would be nicer on the PC too, but as they said, that's what adapters are for (and they are cheap.) Probably $30 out the door for a combo of both all said and done. I do not like the xbox360 PC usb pad I'm stuck with, but that controller there I do. They did say if it went great they could/would do that, but then I couldn't use it on N64 too. :) It would be nice if they had a mid-tier for a USB dongle included.

I have the NES Retro Fighter controller....it's a little big/chunky IMO (totally variable by user hand size of course) but it's a very nice controller with good feeling d-pad/buttons/trigger.

Great feature IMO is that the NES one has both a traditional NES plug AND a USB plug. Hope they do this on the N64 one too.

I had no idea this was some existing company when the news broke, just that they had some raging near instant success funding a N64 controller that looks/feels normal. I may have to investigate as you have me curious.

So far I'm satisfied with my 8bitdo NES 30 pro controller which works wired or wireless as it is, but for something that could use a set of 6 face buttons (like N64) it does lack as anything of that sort would.

Just to stick a pin in my eBay story, my jumper pak came from SAG today (a day earlier than I expected) and it works fine. The system works with the games I've bought. So that's nice.

Now I have to decide if I want to keep buying games ad-hoc or just pop for an Everdrive. From the prices of other games I want, I could get an Everdrive v3 and still be ahead, but I'd probably just get a 2.5 and hit reset as needed. No need for an RTC for Animal Crossing.

As for feedback, I think Tanooki is right. It'll be neutral at best. I'm sure I'll get retaliatory feedback (which is the worst) but whatever. He shouldn't get off with positive after being a turd.

I'd personally drop at least a Neutral. Sellers hate it, but he messed up (partial refund or not) and it should be something future buyers know about.

He can't retaliate on your feedback really. The losers at ebay took away all sellers rights. They can only leave NO feedback or positive. He could put a sketchy comment in the positive, but one phone call and they'll remove it and put a mark on his account for breaking the rules and attacking. He could leave a counter comment to yours stating it's a lie or whatever, but if you come off honest in the comment he'll look like a douche trying to cover up being shady.

Neutral, describe his behavior/lack of completeness in the little space. Then for description put a 1/5 stars on that, and that or near it on communication for being a hostile liar. That'll wreck his DSRs causing him to pay more in fees when doing shipping. If he has a store it magnifies the punishment as well. I'm tired of people being jerks when I buy on there and not being honest so I've been throwing stars all over the scale as revenge because I'm an honest seller and if someone can't be nice and explain things, they deserve what they have coming to them.

Goldenwheels -- Agreed. When someone said they had that pad on here I went and looked, that's solid. It's a real shame they didn't do this on the N64 one or throw in some few cents cheap n64<->usb adapter kind of like the old xbox breakaway bits on the controllers.