IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

Looks good, so I hope it's a success. The price of rather beat up looking Hori controllers has ballooned lately on Ebay. Not long ago you could get a decent one for about what a new PS4 controller cost at retail.

Would be nice to have an economical alternative. Especially since every analog stick replacement design I've tried has had an issue of some sort that held it back from the originals.

I'd personally drop at least a Neutral. Sellers hate it, but he messed up (partial refund or not) and it should be something future buyers know about.

This is what I wound up doing.

So this system is a ton of fun. Mario Tennis has been consuming all of my free hours of late. It's just so good. Playing with my family is great, too. I've played a lot of Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast, but this just takes the cake.

• Like 2

So this system is a ton of fun. Mario Tennis has been consuming all of my free hours of late. It's just so good. Playing with my family is great, too. I've played a lot of Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast, but this just takes the cake.

Mario Tennis is a GREAT game. Great multiplayer, fun modes, the whole deal. Mario Golf is a great golf game as well!

I really wish they had made Mario Baseball for the 64 rather than the gamecube...it would have been better I can almost guarantee.

• Like 1

Yeah that's basically how a lot of people come off about the n64 if they don't let the low polygons, haters mystique, and controller trashing doesn't get in the way. It may have had only 300 US games and not too many wider of a margin throwing JP/EU stuff in it, but what is there, even discounting the huge pile of racing and wrestling/sports (more serious/licensed level) games out of the way there's quite a lot of variety. People seemed to fall into two groups of screw it and shoveled average junk to make buck, which was harder given costs of the carts, or you had people who were tryhards or successfully tried hard and got rewarded for making excellent stuff working within the confines.

I never got into or like Mario Tennis, all tennis games just reek of Pong to me and I'm over that -- but Mario Golf that one and more so the GBC game were just gold, better than their sequels too, so much fun to be had in those. I still keep mine plugged in after all these years but I'm like really at this point uncertain how much I'd currently (like NES/SNES) still use it greatly or if I'd sink some $ into a game or two or just go the everdrive route on it too. It works exceptionally well on my current and last TV as well display wise and w/out lag problems either. N64 was that true gaming giant underdog that got less respect but deserved more.

Don't get me wrong - the controller is weird - but I like the games enough that I'll make it work. LOL

The CIRKA clone I have is just like the Nintendo original. The layout is strange and people should not be faulted for not immediately falling in love with it, but it's functional. I also got this awful Performance Superpad. That thing went in a box and I hope to never see it again. It's weird, though, because I love my Performance Superpad on Saturn.

According to this website, you can use a Gameshark to play import games.

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/419966/1/

Better yet-if you don't have a Gameshark but have a security bit and some crappy sports or racing titles- swap the back plates. That's what I did when I got Sin and Punishment and Animal Forest.

The N64 was my jam. It's what got me back into console gaming. The controller, until the 360 controller came out, was a grand design. Made for the future with its comfortable pistol-grip thumb stick and trigger for 3D games and the the shift to the feel and function of a tradition D-pad controller. I still don't get the hate.

Is there an option for controllers, or at least replacement sticks? Only thing that killed me playing it is lack of controllers. Buying used in this case is definitely not happening.

Just get a nice clean used controller, clean it thoroughly, and replace the joystick with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Redesigned-REPLACEMENT-Joystick-Controller-Thumbstick/dp/B009MRZAUC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504014392&sr=8-3&keywords=N64+joystick

Its like having a better than new N64 OEM pad. I have done this with just about all my N64 Joysticks and have had nothing but good luck. I love the Gamecube style stick, and it never wears out. No more grey dust!! lol

post-38373-0-97948500-1504014490_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh I have controllers, though despite actually taking care of them (I'd get a few years out of each) they've simply worn out.

I'll definitely look for some of those plug ins, from that era, the 64 is definitely my favorite console.

Thanks for the link, oddly it never occurred to me to check amazon LOL

Oh I have controllers, though despite actually taking care of them (I'd get a few years out of each) they've simply worn out.

I'll definitely look for some of those plug ins, from that era, the 64 is definitely my favorite console.

Thanks for the link, oddly it never occurred to me to check amazon LOL

There are plenty on lightly used N64 controllers out there, the stock joysticks tend to be the most worn component. Outside of those the N64 controllers are pretty rugged, like the NES and SNES controllers before them (have never had an NES or SNES pad die on me.)

Grab a few and throw these sticks in them! You won't regret it.

• 2 months later...

Try here I know they have quite a few but you need to search your game by name.

https://downloads.khinsider.com/

Ex: Super Mario 64 = https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/super-mario-64-n64-

Even the late more obscure rental stuff can be there too like Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine

https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/indiana-jones-and-the-infernal-machine

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Or for $10, if you want to feel special, you can get a 3D printed cart slot that will accept Japanese games.

Whereabouts? I've been half-heartedly looking for one, but the best I've found so far is a link to download the printer file itself, with a few overly-expensive on demand print shops listed. I'd rather like to make the swap on mine. I'd like to swap the SNES too, actually...

Whereabouts? I've been half-heartedly looking for one, but the best I've found so far is a link to download the printer file itself, with a few overly-expensive on demand print shops listed. I'd rather like to make the swap on mine. I'd like to swap the SNES too, actually...

https://www.facebook.com/mobiusstriptech/?pnref=lhc

This guy does the 3D printed universal game slots for the N64, I have one in and they work quite well! He does a lot of fun stuff including a Lith Ion Rechargeable batter pack for the Nomad

This guy does the 3D printed universal game slots for the N64, I have one in and they work quite well! He does a lot of fun stuff including a Lith Ion Rechargeable batter pack for the Nomad

I just dremeled the lockout tabs to play Japanese games like on SNES. Essentially free... :P

On my original and I regret I did it years later I used an automatic nail file and just sanded it down to a nice smooth surface. Took a little time but didn't look like I got rough with pliers at least. Sadly over time with the way that slot is kind of wider than the game it loosened up my pins enough I had to wedge a piece of cardboard up against the game or even breathing on it enough to make it move jacked up the games. I won't do that again even if it does cost a few bucks for a lame adapter to slot into it if I go down that road ever again.

So... how do I go about getting one from them? I don't actually Facebook, I've no real idea how to navigate over there...

On my original and I regret I did it years later I used an automatic nail file and just sanded it down to a nice smooth surface. Took a little time but didn't look like I got rough with pliers at least. Sadly over time with the way that slot is kind of wider than the game it loosened up my pins enough I had to wedge a piece of cardboard up against the game or even breathing on it enough to make it move jacked up the games. I won't do that again even if it does cost a few bucks for a lame adapter to slot into it if I go down that road ever again.

Tanooki, I pinched mine off with pliers eons ago (could not find my security bits atm to properly dremel the plastic boot, so I used pliers on them without disassembly) and it never made the carts fit any looser. Sometimes I do find it useful to wedge a piece of cardboard or folded paper behind the cart though. I'd been sticking paper behind SNES and N64 games long before I ever cut the tabs on them... :P