IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

• 1 month later...

I find it hard to believe but I guess it makes sense. You put out the fact Nintendo has redone their first two consoles would make for more awareness. In general the n64 games (loose) are a dramatically smaller library and far less expensive too so there's that going for it. Also that bit says 25-30yo were biggest cut of the buyers, and with the N64 now at 22 years old, that would fit too as it would be quite a few of theirs first systems as parents wouldn't look to buy a 5 year old a flimsy disc based system which advertised mainly to teens and adults playing off the N64 as a (fat lie) kiddie box. They're now up in that age group they may just want to take another crack at it.

Especially in North America.

While the N64 is remembered as coming in well behind Sony's Playstation and for selling less units than the NES and SNES, it has to be remembered that it was quite a hit in North America despite coming in at a distant 2nd place. Over 60% of the 33 million Nintendo 64 systems sold went to North American customers.

In fact the well loved Super Nintendo that Nintendo had such a hit with their plug and play revival this year, only sold 2.7 million more units in North America from its 1991 launch through the 2001 fiscal year. The N64's sales on the other hand largely had ended the very next year, although a token ~10,000 systems were sold in North America during the system's final fiscal year of sales activity in 2003.

Averaged out, the N64 sold more systems in North America each year than the SNES did during its lifetime (Unlike the SNES which always significantly trailed the sales performance of its predecessor thanks to Sega's success). Not a surprise that people are getting nostalgic for it, or a shock if Nintendo's next plug and play is N64 themed.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

N64 gets a good mix of a lot of crap that's both deserved and not, specifically in the NA(USA) market due to those sales. It's funny because if you look at the total library release for the system you'll note there is a very short list of games that Japan got compared to us which was a dramatic change of things from the past. We really didn't suffer much for lost good games. Sure they haven't aged well, that era is like the pre-NES 2D era of games in comparison so it's bordering on an acquired taste but to say the games can't be looked at without eye damage or just suck shows a problem with that person and their behaviors more than a flawed garbage console from that generation.

I was listening to the descent sound track this morning and thinking about N64 games with good sountracks....despite the memory limitations of carts there are a number of good soundtracks for N64 games.

Anyone know where I can find them in MP3 form?

Tetrisphere has a great soundtrack. https://soundcloud.com/the-neil-voss-collection/sets/tetrisphere-ost

but to say the games can't be looked at without eye damage or just suck shows a problem with that person and their behaviors more than a flawed garbage console from that generation.

Speak for yourself. It's among the most advanced cart-based game systems ever made, with a small but great game selection of first party titles (plus rareware). Hardly garbage, in fact I recently had mine hdmi modded. :D
  • Like 1

I was listening to the descent sound track this morning and thinking about N64 games with good sountracks....despite the memory limitations of carts there are a number of good soundtracks for N64 games.

The N64 sound hardware can be pretty impressive at times and there were a lot of games that sound fantastic.

As far as stuff that I like to listen to outside of the game, F-Zero X has (in my opinion) one of the greatest hard rock/heavy metal soundtracks in gaming. Killer Instinct Gold has always stood out with a good variety of tunes. Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark both have tons of great sounding, memorable tunes as well.

Anyone know where I can find them in MP3 form?

Google them. Another good bet is going to YouTube and finding the tunes there, then using a YouTube downloader plug-in or website tool to grab the audio from the video.

Speak for yourself. It's among the most advanced cart-based game systems ever made, with a small but great game selection of first party titles (plus rareware). Hardly garbage, in fact I recently had mine hdmi modded. :D

I was mocking people who call the N64(PS1, Saturn, etc 1st gen 3D systems) as flawed garbage. I personally don't have a problem with the N64 and still have mine hooked up for use. It probably is the most advanced cart based home console system. It had solid games well beyond Nintendo/Rare too. Around a 300 game library where around 40% of it were stupid racing/sports games, but if you blot that garbage from memory and look at the rest there's a good bit of fun to be had. I'd love to see mine in HDMI too but the cost people charge for that kit to be installed is insultingly asinine wanting like $100-200 for an hours worth of work. I'd rather wait and hope someone make an external jack like the GC 2 HDMI v3 I paid $100 for as that's wicked.

• Like 1

I don't have an issue with the Nintendo 64 personally, but I do find myself coming back to it the least out of the consoles from that generation. Not because of technical reasons (on the contrary, I think it's the most impressive), but because of its lack of library variety compared to its competition. While I play games of all types I undoubtedly prefer 2D games (platformers, action games and shoot 'em ups). There is a little bit of 2D gameplay sprinkled in here and there (Mischief Makers, Kirby, Bangaioh, Robotron 64, The New Tetris, Star Soldier Vanishing Earth, etc), but the options are just a drop in the bucket compared to the PS1 and Saturn. The rest of the library is geared towards open 3D action games, platformers and racers, the later of which I don't mind, but it's not a genre that usually defines or keeps me coming back to a console. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

• Like 1

I'm glad I own Bangaioh along with Sin & Punishment, two horribly bypassed mistakes that would have been excellent games to have in the US library. Of that list above I've had or have all those but Tetris, brother had that one. I imagine going by that type of 2.5D as 2D play I guess something like Goemon Great Adventure would work too, maybe Gauntlet Legends as it's a big flat 360 map like Robotron is, just far wider, same with Bomberman 64 1 and 2.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

I think early gen 3D is largely misunderstoodr by classic 2D gamers, and the blocky 3D polygons they harness were misunderstood by later gen 3d gamwrs. But for ture fans ,theres a lot 2 luv from the blocky polygon, collectathon, 3d platformer era. if u dont get it, u dont get it.

sorry 4 da typos, but i m dunk. :lol:

Yes you're a big dunk.

And they're from a unique generation that grew rapid in its own space too in many ways, sadly not in a few others (like how Mario 64 still stands out far better than most 3D space camera backed platformers.) If you can get beyond the low polygons there's a lot within the various games in that era of the 3D style that offer up a good bit, but there's also a lot of crap too and that very crap mostly was a learning experiment where the garbage wasn't repeated late generation or in the next.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retrogames/40-winks-a-new-nintendo-64-game

New N64 game uncovered and being released by PIKO.

I think i'll wait until this one is in the PIKO store... I have too many games right now I paid $50-$100 for a year or two ago and am still waiting on :(

Looks promising though!

• 6 months later...