IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

I still think Q4 2018 is my favorite time in video gaming. Within a few days of each other, these fun, innovative-yet-retro games came out, 3 things I still enjoy, both the originals as well as derivative games

F-Zero X

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I hope you meant Q4 1998 lol!

To be honest only only really enjoyed F-zero X among those titles. Not that the others weren't fun, I guess those type of games didn't appeal as much to me as F-zero for some reason or another.

Dammit

Fixed

Hard to believe that was twenty years ago

Well now you done gone and made everyone here look old!!

Man, I don't even want to remember what the internet was like 20 years ago. All those gaming sites were mostly about the artwork in the backgrounds and the actual site page was in the middle of the screen. I remember old Gamespot N64 reviews on the old site and often you had to open screenshots in a new window, then click on it again to enlarge.

Well clearly something happened before I came, but it would have helped if people told me what it was, so I would know what to avoid doing.

Twenty years ago was a good year in gaming...

Dammit, where's mah delorian when I need one? ;-)

Does parts express still sell flux capacitors? Also I still need the vehicle install kit... :dunce:

Funny you mention this, iirc the N64 was supposed to get a BTTF game by THQ. Never came out though. :(

A solution: move to Oregon. No sales tax here, even in brick & mortar stores.

Or Delaware, where almost nothing is taxed at all, including sales tax. Plus, easy access to New York with all it's retro game stores. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I decided it was time to get me and the kids a 64. It’s pretty much the only system I haven’t gone back to in the past 20 years. I’m pretty excited to play these games with my 4 kids. And to watch them enjoy playing them together this winter.

ff651bdc6825d98f2208af396b9034a7.jpg

8ab5a384b3162d78e8f0b09c0219c459.jpg

bbe9cc627e965df61b06790261b7196c.jpg

I’d be up for any suggestions for multiplayer games.

Good call. Despite the fraud story about it being a kiddie box back in the day, ironically it did have a strong shelf life around kids because how thick and durable the games and console were. The variety is there for whatever age, but that little spread of games there would be good for a little group to enjoy.

Recently I had my N64 serviced bringing it up to date with the UltraHDMI kit and the output on that thing now is insane, and stuff that was being lost due to it not being on a CRT is gone so some games are again playable too which is fantastic. I recommend the kit to anyone.

• Like 1

I decided it was time to get me and the kids a 64. It’s pretty much the only system I haven’t gone back to in the past 20 years. I’m pretty excited to play these games with my 4 kids. And to watch them enjoy playing them together this winter.

I’d be up for any suggestions for multiplayer games.

The N64 is one of the best couch-multiplayer gaming systems there is, if not the best. Hopefully your kids have a blast with it. It looks like you're already at a good start too, as four of the five of those are multiplayer titles.

To mix things up, I'd recommend The New Tetris and Gauntlet Legends.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

Thanks for all of the recommendations so far. I really like Gauntlet Legends. I used to play it 4 player on the Dreamcast back in the ferg. I’ve heard good things about the Wrestling games on the 64 from the Super Podcast Bros podcast. I’ll have to pick that one up for sure. I’ve never played any Mario Party games on the 64, I’m looking forward to that. I also took a look at that New Tetris game. That looks like a lot of fun since it’s 4 players at once on the same screen. I have a 40 inch Sony 4:3 Trinitron that has multiple Svideo outs, so that’s the route I’m going to go for now. It’s nice to know there’s an HDMI option. I’m holding out for Oled technology to get down under a thousand before I buy another tv for the house. My 60 inch Panasonic plasma still looks great to me. But I don’t really like playing most older consoles on anything but an old Trinitron from the early 2000s. As for my 800 though I am currently having it Sophia DVI modded. Something about it being a computer makes it seem ok and desirable to me.

Edited by adamchevy

I finally bought a N64 Everdrive during the Black Friday deal. It was a long wait but worth it. I also got the GBA one and picked up two Sandisk micro SD cards for crazy cheap. If anyone has the smokemonster packs for these systems or knows of a safe place to get them if you could PM me I would greatly appreciate it :)

• Like 1

Yeah I picked up an N64 Everdrive as well. Stoneage had already ended their Black Friday sale funnily enough, but Krikzz still had it going.. so Krikzz I went. I'm not in a rush anyway. :lol:

The N64 ED is the last ED/Flashcart I was interested in that I didn't have yet.. not until the next generations that is.

• Like 1

I have the n64 v3 everdrive. Brilliant piece of kit. Load Conker's Bad Fur Day in 3 seconds! :o

Also with the v3, you don't have to worry about resetting before shutting off the power to retain your save game. ;-)

Only downside is you cannot play 98% of existing Mario64 hacks because they use emulator shortcuts that don't work on real hardware, namely odd byte indexing. It's been discussed on krikzz.com forums. The author of Toad's Tool isn't interested in fixing it (ie, fixing the hacks to make them work on hardware will also break them on several popular emulators = stoopid excuse) and won't release the source code. :sad:

I have the n64 v3 everdrive. Brilliant piece of kit. Load Conker's Bad Fur Day in 3 seconds! :o

Also with the v3, you don't have to worry about resetting before shutting off the power to retain your save game. ;-)

Only downside is you cannot play 98% of existing Mario64 hacks because they use emulator shortcuts that don't work on real hardware, namely odd byte indexing. It's been discussed on krikzz.com forums. The author of Toad's Tool isn't interested in fixing it (ie, fixing the hacks to make them work on hardware will also break them on several popular emulators = stoopid excuse) and won't release the source code. :sad:

Thats the one I went for. I know I would forget to reset and loose game progress

• Like 1

I waffled on it, had it in the bin but backed off the N64 everdrive. I guess it probably was a mistake because of a few nice JP translations, but I have most the US stuff I want or would even bother to play now with any effort other than Goemons Great Adventure and a couple others and they're all low priced with GGA being the most expensive so it made little sense. I popped or a PC(TG) Evedrive. :)

I saw a copy of Perfect Dark locally the other day, brought back some memories, but I didn't grab it as the time isn't right for it now.

That everdrive issue with the n64 for me is kind of a two-fer really because the 2.5 is cheaper notably, but the 3 doesn't have the annoying reset to save, speed for it, and those other little perks, but it's a lot to ask for the increase. It's not night and day like SuperED vs SD2SNES. I imagine I'll get the thing, either, at some rate as they pop up on here, and other boards/media sites I'm on under the 20% black friday hits anyway so it's a matter of time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Recently ive been into the N64 again mainly because of the Everdrive I was able to acquire. Nothing could touch this system for first person shooters back then. I just played Duke Nukem 64 for the first time in several years and its just as fun now as it was back then. I love the graphics and controls. Playing four player again would be a blast but thats not going to happen now a days.

I also enjoyed the often criticized Daikatana today. I thought it was pretty fun. Now I just need to get a memory card to make some progress in these games.

Good call. Despite the fraud story about it being a kiddie box back in the day, ironically it did have a strong shelf life around kids because how thick and durable the games and console were. The variety is there for whatever age, but that little spread of games there would be good for a little group to enjoy.

Recently I had my N64 serviced bringing it up to date with the UltraHDMI kit and the output on that thing now is insane, and stuff that was being lost due to it not being on a CRT is gone so some games are again playable too which is fantastic. I recommend the kit to anyone.

The system really shines with better video options. It gets rid of a lot of the blurriness and makes some of the games look pretty dang good. Mine is component modded for my Trinitron TV but Id love to try out a HDMI one some day. Ill have to look into it.

It's worth it, the features of it really make the thing as good as it pretty much ever is going to get without going into emulation fantasy land. I almost popped for an everdrive but backed off it. The price diff on the 2.5 and 3 kind of turned me off as the 2.5 feels a little gimped, at least for saving, the rest don't care. I just popped for the pce everdrive instead last november alone.

The system really shines with better video options. It gets rid of a lot of the blurriness and makes some of the games look pretty dang good. Mine is component modded for my Trinitron TV but Id love to try out a HDMI one some day. Ill have to look into it.

I sent my system off a couple months ago to be Ultra HDMI modded. Can't wait to see how it looks when I get it back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So since my work was closed because of the cold I decided to delve deeper into the Everdrive and found something very pleasing. It was a port of PC Doom that is freaking amazing. By far the closest version to the PC on older hardware. Its not based off the strip down Jaguar version so its like a much better SNES version. I highly recommended you try it out. Its called Ultimate Doom. There is another port out there that is slow and has no music so keep clear from it.

I forgot to add that it uses the expansion pack too. Im not sure if it will run without it but by now everyone should have 8MB of RAM in their N64.

• Like 1

So since my work was closed because of the cold I decided to delve deeper into the Everdrive and found something very pleasing. It was a port of PC Doom that is freaking amazing. By far the closest version to the PC on older hardware. Its not based off the strip down Jaguar version so its like a much better SNES version. I highly recommended you try it out. Its called Ultimate Doom. There is another port out there that is slow and has no music so keep clear from it.

I forgot to add that it uses the expansion pack too. Im not sure if it will run without it but by now everyone should have 8MB of RAM in their N64.

Have you a link to this? Since that name to it is the official name of the 4 episode expanded Doom release from the mid 90s, it's kind of hard to search. So far it has come up with 64Doom which maybe your junk release. I'm just curious about it as some date down the line I'll have to bite the bullet and get the everdrive for this last system still.

Have you a link to this? Since that name to it is the official name of the 4 episode expanded Doom release from the mid 90s, it's kind of hard to search. So far it has come up with 64Doom which maybe your junk release. I'm just curious about it as some date down the line I'll have to bite the bullet and get the everdrive for this last system still.

I just found it in the homebrew section of the smokemonster pack. You arent kidding about it being hard to find info on. I tried searching and came up with nothing.