IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

Yeah that was my thoughts, to try and see what it tries to do against the real thing on my PC so if I end up getting that everdrive it would be an incentive. I'd just like to see how well it was faithfully redone, just like how i love DOOM64EX which hacks the guts out of the N64 file, slaps them into a WAD and runs them in a modern OS environment and it's excellent (improvement really since the gamma isn't fubar.)

The original charcoal colored N64 that sold the entire life of the console came with a more SNES colored gray controller. At one portion of time, they extended the original box a bit wider, added some hip 90s graphics, and called it the atomic purple edition placing YOUR controller up there along with the original contents into one box.

That controller is worth $20 as long as the stick isn't jacked up and it's in cosmetically good shape.

The original charcoal colored N64 that sold the entire life of the console came with a more SNES colored gray controller. At one portion of time, they extended the original box a bit wider, added some hip 90s graphics, and called it the atomic purple edition placing YOUR controller up there along with the original contents into one box.

That controller is worth $20 as long as the stick isn't jacked up and it's in cosmetically good shape.

Awesome shape. Very clean. All buttons, stick, and dpad work great. Not worn out. And I just tested. All works great. Better than my yellow controller.

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2019/02/my-n64-controllers.html

Nope you'd think it would be, but they made a LOT of them. I tend to come across a couple of them each year and sometimes even I sit on selling a spare for $20 but they do move. Part of it I blame on ebay and their asinine tactics requireing 90 day returns and 1 day shipping which i refuse to do so they down source my sales from popping up to the bottom of the pile from the lemmings who do it.

Nope you'd think it would be, but they made a LOT of them. I tend to come across a couple of them each year and sometimes even I sit on selling a spare for $20 but they do move. Part of it I blame on ebay and their asinine tactics requireing 90 day returns and 1 day shipping which i refuse to do so they down source my sales from popping up to the bottom of the pile from the lemmings who do it.

So they never released a clear purple console but they made a clear purple controller. How weird.

• 1 month later...

Wow Piko that's a pro quality job there with that 40 WInks. I remember being curious about it in the day but it got canned. :\ If I recall they weren't collect-a-thon nightmare artists like Rare was (Conker aside) which caught my interest much like Glover did and the also killed sequel.

• 2 months later...

What are people's thoughts on the Hyperkin unit so far?

https://n64today.com/2019/06/05/ultra-retron-n64-clone-console/

If it's great i may be interested but if it's budget in any way i'll pass and wait for the Analog N64 to come out :)

attachicon.gifultra-retron-n64-clone-console-720x383.jpg

Modern Vintage Gamer did a review on it. He spotlighted an astute observation from someone that there are graphics glitches.

Turns out it's running an open source emulator on underpowered hardware, so they had to flip a few switches off for performance reasons. In Mario Kart 64, the Jumbotron on a tunnel just shows an incomplete mountain, for instance. Other games show far worse glitches.

Meh, cartridge dumpers with emulators behind them. Why not just load ROMs from flash of we're doing that?

Need your advice: I got a used copy of Majoras Mask for a friend's kid, about 9yo, because I didn't want to lend him mine. Problem is, the cartridge is in rough shape, with beat up edges and cracks. Supposedly the game still works.

Is it OK to give it to him? Or bad form somehow.

Need your advice: I got a used copy of Majoras Mask for a friend's kid, about 9yo, because I didn't want to lend him mine. Problem is, the cartridge is in rough shape, with beat up edges and cracks. Supposedly the game still works.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, imho.

• Like 1

Meh, cartridge dumpers with emulators behind them. Why not just load ROMs from flash of we're doing that?

I would replace the save battery first... unless it used flash memory as I think some late N64 games did.