IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

As far as the Hyperkin 64 thing... did they fire the design department? I mean, it doesn't have to be flashy or anything, but this just looks blah on the outside. I know people will say "It's not about how it looks, it's about how it plays..." but still...

And I'm not sure why I'm here anyway, lol... I'm not an N64 fan, so most of my opinions on things here will be negative. I'll leave it to you guys!

For Majora's Mask in my opinion it's better to play the 3DS version with the quality of life improvements (e.g. save anywhere, Bomber's Notebook, easier and more granular time jumps).

A lot of people complain about the "time limit" but once you wrap your head around it, there really isn't any. Once you get shortly into the game you have complete control of time whether you speed it up, slow it down, or jump to any point Then, you just think of it as a record (or album, or CD, or cassette tape) playing in the background and you can jump to any point you like whether it's the start of the recording, or near the end. And you just do your gameplaying with those repeated and scripted events happening and it's up to you to get familiar with them (e.g. with the Bomber's Notebook) . :) A lot of the "events" aren't even necessary to find anyway, and is just a way to get all masks.

The time limit does come into play when you get to a dungeon.. But you soon learn to start time at the beginning and slow it down whenever you start a dungeon which gives most of the time you need.

Plus It's kind of the jist of the game, the point is to beat the clock. Removing the time limit from MM would be like removing the chronometre in a racing game, it hollows the game from it's core substance.

I agree with you, the 3DS version is much better yet faithful to the original game... tho playing such a game on a tiny screen is a bit of a chore... and if you have a 3DS XL like me then it's get worse because it's still tiny yet it's HEAVY and wear down on your hands.

Edited by CatPix

As far as the Hyperkin 64 thing... did they fire the design department? I mean, it doesn't have to be flashy or anything, but this just looks blah on the outside. I know people will say "It's not about how it looks, it's about how it plays..." but still...

And I'm not sure why I'm here anyway, lol... I'm not an N64 fan, so most of my opinions on things here will be negative. I'll leave it to you guys!

I think that the physical design is a huge improvement and the original N64 is one of my least favorite looking consoles. But this is still without final labeling, lights, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Announced by EON today, N64 plug and play HDMI adapter.  It does not get RGB but does pull the S-Video signal for 480p display that should be considerably superior to composite.  Thoughts?  Going for it at $150 or will wait for the UltraHDMI to be back in stock?

https://castlemaniagames.com/collections/eon-gaming/products/eon-super-64

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to share some photos of this mint N64 "launch edition" (lol) i found on CL recently.  Paid $120 which i think is fair.  One owner; includes original receipt from 5 months after the North American Launch date.  KB Toys from my hometown (South Burlington, Vermont) mall, the University Mall.  I bought Startropics for NES at that very same store; among other games.  I would mostly hit EB and Babbages in that mall though for my gaming needs...haha.   Haven't seen a sealed expansion pack area for a looong time!

IMG_20190703_070959.jpg

IMG_20190703_071221.jpg

IMG_20190703_221536.jpg

IMG_20190703_071245.jpg

I saw that N64 HDMI adapter in a news article a week or two ago. I'm not sure what they're thinking with it.

Even if it works for the Super Nintendo and GameCube, what's the point? For $30 or so more, you can buy a Super NT with a far superior picture for SNES games than upscaled S-Video. And for just half the price, you can buy the CARBY HDMI dongle for the GameCube and enjoy the system's native digital 480p picture on your HDTV rather than upscaled S-Video.

If they could make it work for $50, it would've been different. But they're basically equaling the cost of a self-installation of Ultra HDMI here. For me if I was going to spend $150, I'd save the little bit more that hiring an Ultra HDMI installer runs and get a noticeably superior picture out of the system.

They're going to have trouble selling these past the retro gaming YouTube channels that will be wanting one just to review. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 5:14 PM, Atariboy said:

I saw that N64 HDMI adapter in a news article a week or two ago. I'm not sure what they're thinking with it.

Even if it works for the Super Nintendo and GameCube, what's the point? For $30 or so more, you can buy a Super NT with a far superior picture for SNES games than upscaled S-Video. And for just half the price, you can buy the CARBY HDMI dongle for the GameCube and enjoy the system's native digital 480p picture on your HDTV rather than upscaled S-Video.

If they could make it work for $50, it would've been different. But they're basically equaling the cost of a self-installation of Ultra HDMI here. For me if I was going to spend $150, I'd save the little bit more that hiring an Ultra HDMI installer runs and get a noticeably superior picture out of the system.

They're going to have trouble selling these past the retro gaming YouTube channels that will be wanting one just to review. 

Yeah it's not ideal but i bet it will find it's niche.  A lot of people don't want to do through the trouble of sending out their console to be modded, or can't find a trusted modder who has the time to do it quickly and at a reasonable price.  There are also a lot of modding horror stories with stuff being poorly done and/or ruined.  It's a hobby industry right now, typically all one person operations, and not really held to any consistent standards other that word of mouth from other customers.  So until the HDMI mods are more readily available; and trusted people are able to perform them quickly, i think these will sell in reasonable numbers. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, travistouchdown said:

Sure enough these have been selling like hot cakes:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TKF5XBS/?coliid=IRGRJEN08DMA9&colid=3C9JYID8UW0H3&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Nothing beats convenience...even if there are technically superior options. 

Well I already have the Game Cube digital dongle, the Ultra HDMI modded N64, the Super NT and AVS.

I wonder if this device works with non- Svideo sources such as AV Famicom or SNES Jr? ?

The SNES redesign does S-Video I believe. Pretty sure it's just RGB that it lacks, so this should work on it.

Pretty unnecessary though when you already own a Super NT, but I do pointless stuff all the time in this hobby just for the heck of it. So I'd be curious about your findings if you buy it and try it on it. Same with the GameCube where it should also work. Haven't seen anyone report their results there with this. 

Edited by Atariboy

Speaking of HDMI adapters and this same era, I've read nothing but good comments about how amazing the POUND cable is for the PS1, though it's branded for PS2, and there it gets dumped on like 50/50 because it's like dark and interlaced.  I guess to have PS1 worked it hosed up the PS2 stuff a bit which is amusing since the box highlights it more as a PS2 adapter.  It seems to run off a similar concept as this N64 HDMI outside cable that's powered as well.

22 hours ago, Atariboy said:

The SNES redesign does S-Video I believe. Pretty sure it's just RGB that it lacks, so this should work on it.

Pretty unnecessary though when you already own a Super NT, but I do pointless stuff all the time in this hobby just for the heck of it. So I'd be curious about your findings if you buy it and try it on it. Same with the GameCube where it should also work. Haven't seen anyone report their results there with this. 

The SNES Jr is Composite Video only. However, the good news is that you can easily restore both S-Video and RGB Analog. All one needs to do is to solder wires from the video chip to the AV plug but it is recommended that you run each video signal through a resistor (75 to about 100 Ohms) first as the signals are strong. I did the RGB restore but not S-Video (yet).

• Like 1

Went to the Game Over Classic Game Expo in Austin and I got to see the EON device in action. The pluses is that it respects the ratio (no screenstretching), it uses the N64's power, and it looks pretty good (YMMV depending on TV/monitor of course). But the high price point, coupled with other options such as the Retro-Tink and the Hyperkin, is why I won't go for it. For $150 you need to do a lot more than just convert S-Video to HDMI, a lot more. Like making it into a box that can be used on multiple systems and having scanlining and other picture adjustment options. As for the Hyperkin, which I happen to have, it looks pretty good. But I have noticed how dingy it looks on certain dark games like Doom 64, something that Metal Jesus pointed out in his video. Why would the signal be dark? I thought that digital video wouldn't have that problem. Is the analog video (and audio) being nerfed slightly just before conversion or is the device not programmed correctly?

• 5 months later...

I was looking for a place in the forums to post about N64 since it is apparently too new for a classic gaming subforum and too old for a modern gaming subforum-

I just started using Everdrive 64 v2.5 and I can't recommend it enough! For $107 and the physical space of a single cartridge you can.have the whole N64 library (would cost a few grand to buy the just under 300 games in the north American library, not to mention the 90 something Japanese exclusives.)

Because you use a real N64 and not an emulator the quality is flawless and compatibility is near 100%

The other great thing about this concept is that.the N64 ROMs take up so little space you could fit ALL of the games on an 8GB SD card and have a little under 3GB of free space left over. I actually bought a 16GB simply because you can get a class 10 16 gig for five dollars.

Oh and being able to effortlessly play romhacks is neat. I also have seen some discussion about being able to use the ED64 to emulate a number of older systems, potentially allowing you to play anything from NES to Game Gear with the notoriously bad N64 controller...if for some reason that is a thing you want to do.

10/10, not a paid endorsement :P

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nintendo64 said:

Does anyone play any of the Nintendo 64 hacks? Im looking for a place to get some Super Mario 64 hacks and any other N64 hack. Anyone have a suggestion where i can download Nintendo 64 hacks from a safe website?

Just to let you know most N64 hacks only work in emulators

8 hours ago, Sknarp said:

I was looking for a place in the forums to post about N64 since it is apparently too new for a classic gaming subforum and too old for a modern gaming subforum-

I just started using Everdrive 64 v2.5 and I can't recommend it enough! For $107 and the physical space of a single cartridge you can.have the whole N64 library (would cost a few grand to buy the just under 300 games in the north American library, not to mention the 90 something Japanese exclusives.)

Because you use a real N64 and not an emulator the quality is flawless and compatibility is near 100%

The other great thing about this concept is that.the N64 ROMs take up so little space you could fit ALL of the games on an 8GB SD card and have a little under 3GB of free space left over. I actually bought a 16GB simply because you can get a class 10 16 gig for five dollars.

Oh and being able to effortlessly play romhacks is neat. I also have seen some discussion about being able to use the ED64 to emulate a number of older systems, potentially allowing you to play anything from NES to Game Gear with the notoriously bad N64 controller...if for some reason that is a thing you want to do.

10/10, not a paid endorsement :P

The N64 pad would be great for NES and GG since they both are only 2 button games. I have the emulator but havent tried it out because reasons. The PC Doom port is really good too. Best classic system version imo. You need the expansion pack to run it btw

• Like 1

I really think the N64 should be classified as a proper retro console and deserves its own subforum. At the era when the PS2, Gamecube, and Dreamcast is stepping into retro territories, N64, Saturn, and PS is definitely retro. I should really do a request for a N64 subforum.

• Like 2