IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

Hacks no, like the guy a bit above said, emulators only.  What I did do though the moment I got the Ultra Everdrive 64 was to patch all the Japanese to English translations to have some fun.  I've yet to have time to really sink into it but the opening of Wonder Project J looked really uniquely interesting.  I can't recall if Evangelion got the treatment but if it did and I patched that I used to be curious about that one for years.

2 hours ago, bluejay said:

I really think the N64 should be classified as a proper retro console and deserves its own subforum. At the era when the PS2, Gamecube, and Dreamcast is stepping into retro territories, N64, Saturn, and PS is definitely retro. I should really do a request for a N64 subforum.

FFS we don't even have NES, SNES, or even TG-16/PC-E subforums! (No the highscore club subforums don't count). 

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

I think the rumor or discussion about it before I was even hear someone told me the site was kind of anti-Nintendo and didn't want a presence other than the least possible because the focus was on Atari.  Whether that's true or not, it doesn't help if it's only rumor when you have some obvious holes in the subsections.

2 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

FFS we don't even have NES, SNES, or even TG-16/PC-E subforums! (No the highscore club subforums don't count). 

I know. Really, the NES and SNES deserves a subforum more than the 5200 or 7800, except for the fact that the website's name is AtariAge.

• Like 1

Hi everyone. Hoping to get some guidance on options to connect the ‘Ol N64 via HDMI. My tried and true 26inch Samsung CRT HDTV bit the dust and my new TV only has HDMI inputs.

So I’m looking at either the LevelHike 3 in 1 HDMI cable or something similar (there are lots of similar options on Amazon) or the EON Super 64 Plug and Play.

Appears as though the EON upscales the video output (?), but it’s also about 7X the price! My new TV is a Samsung Q70....I’m thinking it would/could do the upscaling itself?

I’d love some opinions on whether the EON is really worth the premium. I know that’s subjective, but still would appreciate any insights from the group!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

e48260de5fa455220a2896408c60cbd4.jpgfed65a1c3873ada8c75e968210a23e53.jpg

All they are doing is upscaling the S-Video signal. Quality is not that great and not really worth the cost for one console.

You're better off getting something like a RetroTINK 2X. It'll basically do the same thing, but you'll be able to use it with multiple consoles.

• Like 4

The RetroTink 2X and EON 64 line double without adding lag. Both have a smoothing option. Neither will add black bars on the side to force the picture to 4:3 so make sure your TV is able to do that. If you go with the RetroTink, you can use it for multiple consoles, but you'll also need a video cable for each console (S-video cable for N64), and the RetroTink uses a power cable. The EON 64 does not need a power cable or S-video cable.

I'm not familiar with the LevelHike cable, but the Hyperkin cable has a similar price with poor reviews.

• Like 3

Yeah EON is kind of a fraud purchase for those who want to just eat or wear the brand label because all the aggressive marketing told you to do it.  EON isn't about anything unique or special in function, in enough cases subpar against others in the field, yet they're happy to 3D print up a pretty enclosure to their borrowed tech and charge a fat premium.  Fools buy EON, if you want a one off you can do better or equal, and cheaper, or if you want multi, that retrotink 2x is really the best option given you're not stuck to one device for HDMI output.

20 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah EON is kind of a fraud purchase for those who want to just eat or wear the brand label because all the aggressive marketing told you to do it.  EON isn't about anything unique or special in function, in enough cases subpar against others in the field, yet they're happy to 3D print up a pretty enclosure to their borrowed tech and charge a fat premium.  Fools buy EON, if you want a one off you can do better or equal, and cheaper, or if you want multi, that retrotink 2x is really the best option given you're not stuck to one device for HDMI output.

That's a bit harsh. I bought a Retrotink 2X in 2018 with the older firmware. It's buggy, and the audio quality is not very good on N64. I never used it on anything besides the N64 as I haven't had a need for it. I picked up a new EON 64 recently for $100 (less than I paid for the Retrotink), and I prefer the EON 64 since I don't need to use a USB power cable or N64 S-video cable.

That's a bit harsh. I bought a Retrotink 2X in 2018 with the older firmware. It's buggy, and the audio quality is not very good on N64. I never used it on anything besides the N64 as I haven't had a need for it. I picked up a new EON 64 recently for $100 (less than I paid for the Retrotink), and I prefer the EON 64 since I don't need to use a USB power cable or N64 S-video cable.

Less than $100....used?

If it works for you Todd that's good.  But in general they are running a fraud basically doing an overpriced premium service is what I was getting at.  On the inside of their devices that run up to HDMI it is the same open source project coding and hardware instructions that the others sell for $75 and $100 respectively NEW.  They charge $150+ typically, so what do you get for another 50-100% mark up?  Them going around peddling themselves to every vintage game and modern game news site to get free advertising pieces so they can upsell you on nothing but an attractive box, both the one it comes in, and the 3D printed one the same parts are hiding inside of.  They're the epitome of eating the advertising, especially with the Gamecube market.

I got the EON 64 new on eBay on Nov. 30 for $99.98 with free shipping (and no sales tax at the time). At the time I thought the price had been dropped, but the seller has since increased the price to $149.95 so he probably made a mistake on the listing I bought. I agree I wouldn't pay $150 for it.

If it works for you Todd that's good.  But in general they are running a fraud basically doing an overpriced premium service is what I was getting at.  On the inside of their devices that run up to HDMI it is the same open source project coding and hardware instructions that the others sell for $75 and $100 respectively NEW.  They charge $150+ typically, so what do you get for another 50-100% mark up?  Them going around peddling themselves to every vintage game and modern game news site to get free advertising pieces so they can upsell you on nothing but an attractive box, both the one it comes in, and the 3D printed one the same parts are hiding inside of.  They're the epitome of eating the advertising, especially with the Gamecube market.

You mentioned that others are selling for $75 to $100 new for the same thing. Can you point me in the right direction? I agree that I don’t think I can justify $150, however I like the specialized nature of it for the N64 and the fact that it doesn’t need separate power. If I could find something like the Eon but for 33% to 50% less, I’d bite.

I sold my Super 64 on eBay for nearly $130 last week. I can't believe an eBayer was willing to take such a low discount for a used one. Anyway, while it was listed, I sent my N64 to Voultar for an RGB mod. After I plug that thing into my OSSC (once I get it back; the guy's not magic) it'll look way better than anything those adapters can do. 

The N64 isn't my favorite console on the planet, but for $70 plus shipping both ways (it'll be less than $100 total) and the cost of a decent SCART cable I feel like that's the way to go if you already have an RGB-capable upscaling solution. 

I've seen some reports of the Hyperkin ones working okay at the start but developing audio distortion issues over time. I half-way expect the same thing out of all the other cheaper ones. That's what scared me into the Super 64 in the first place. 

FWIW the quality isn't bad, but the 480p output looked very soft on my TV. The same is true of the Dreamcast Gekko from Beharbros (which I also sold last week, but not for nearly so much). I figure I have this OSSC so I should get rid of the dedicated console-specific devices and just run everything through that. Even after paying for fancier cables, the switch isn't costing me anything extra. 

• Like 2

I have a Hyperkin Admiral, and it's okay I guess. It's not shaped like the original Trident, which might be a turnoff for purists. It has more in common with the Hori pad that Retro-Bit used as a basis for the Tribute 64. One downside is that memory packs plug into the receiver, not the controller, so there's no way to use a rumble pack with it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Admiral-Premium-Controller-N64-Black/dp/B0813C8SGD

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, atari2600land said:

This thread made me dig out my N64 and play it. For a real challenge in Mario Kart 64, try Toad's Turnpike in Mirror mode: The cars are flipped around so they're coming right at you!

Oh wow... I've owned the game for 23 years, played it to death (It still has the original save) and I never knew this even though I knew about mirror mode.