IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

I finally beat Majora's Mask a few weeks ago, for the very first time...trying to re-play through all of the Zeldas before BotW2 comes out, but I tried starting Twilight Princess HD, and I just want to hook the 64 back up B) DK64 keeps calling my name, a game I haven't really played since it came out. Mystical Ninja is also ridiculously amazing. And, of course, I never did 100% GoldenEye or PD.

I ended up getting a Tribute64 during Black Friday. It's pretty decent for the most part, but as a lot of people have pointed out, the stick is a lot more sensitive, so it makes games like GoldenEye a bit more difficult (and you'll want to swap controllers for anything that uses the d-pad extensively). I've read that Virtual Console versions of the games had custom profiles built-in to make the GC/Wii joystick feel more natural...I wonder how difficult it would be to ROM hack or GameShark the games in a similar way, since not many had options to adjust sensitivity.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 3:44 AM, TIX said:

has any of you ever found a reliable way to emulate 'Body Harvest' ??

I gave up on N64 emulation a long time ago...but I remember a lot of games depended on what video plugins/settings you had enabled.

Having games in high-res is nice, but I ended up buying an Everdrive. Now I'm just waiting for someone to make a high-quality, affordable thumbstick replacement @_@

• Like 1

23 hours ago, str0m said:

Best solution I found to the N64 thumbstick... :D   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Retro-Fighters-Brawler64-Next-Controller/dp/B078KHKHPX

I meant just the thumbstick itself, so I could fix my official controller ;) All of the current offerings are either too expensive, or too "cheap", or just plain not good enough.

I was thinking about getting one of those, but after reading reviews, decided on the Tribute64 instead (my review is two posts up).

I might add to my review, the only thing I don't really like about the Tribute64 is the same thing others have said: the R/L/Z setup is hard to get used to. I know they were trying to stay true to Hori's controller, but maybe they could have had it toggle with a button combo or something.

1 hour ago, Kobra Kai said:

I got the Retrobit Hori Mini repro, and am happy with it so far.

Don't get me wrong, I dig both designs. Hori is cute I'll admit. But the Retrofighters seems like it would be the superior form factor.

brawler64-retro-fighters-controller-hori-n64-mini-pad-comparison.jpg

I may get the yellow one. Then I'll have 2 hyperkin replicas of the original controller design, 2 brawlers, and the retrobit Hori clone. 5 controllers but no friends to play with... ??‍♀️

All three options are far superior to the old Yobo and Madcatz clones (which predate the n64 design patent expiry) and stock controllers with eroded sticks.

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

This has probably been discussed before, but how's the sensitivity on the Retro Fighters analog stick? My issue with replacement third-party sticks for standard N64 controllers is the dead zone is massive. It's nearly impossible to finesse my way around corners in F-Zero X, for instance. They are just an awful experience. I don't *need* a replacement at the moment, as I am lucky to have a couple of decently functional original sticks, but I could see myself investing in a RF controller in the future just as a backup if the sticks work well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Austin said:

This has probably been discussed before, but how's the sensitivity on the Retro Fighters analog stick? My issue with replacement third-party sticks for standard N64 controllers is the dead zone is massive. It's nearly impossible to finesse my way around corners in F-Zero X, for instance. They are just an awful experience. I don't *need* a replacement at the moment, as I am lucky to have a couple of decently functional original sticks, but I could see myself investing in a RF controller in the future just as a backup if the sticks work well.

I've seen reviews on Amazon stating the Brawlers stick went limp, that's why I went with the Mini repro design. I liked the look and size of the Brawler though.

I like the idea of the Retro Fighters pad, but it looks like it's made from cheap plastic. After reading a bunch of reviews, it sounds like the Tribute64 wins out by a small margin. Apparently RF did have some issues that have since been fixed.

9 hours ago, Austin said:

This has probably been discussed before, but how's the sensitivity on the Retro Fighters analog stick?

The dead zone is massive :) Tribute64 is a tiny bit tighter, but still massive. Most games that don't involve first-person aiming have been pretty alright for me, and I feel like the negatives outweigh the positive.

At either rate, I feel like the less I use official controllers, the longer they'll last.

Edited by Asaki

• 2 years later...

I still have my N64, and some of my favorites are:

-Super Mario 64

-Duke Nukem 64, despite the censorship.

-Goldeneye (I'm still surprised that most youngsters haven't figured out that this game had multiple control options.)

-Mario Kart 64

-Diddy Kong Racing

-Both of the Banjo-Kazooie games.

-Both of the Extreme G games.

-Iggy's Reckin' Balls

-Super Smash Bros.

-Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

-Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

-Star Fox 64

-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

-Donkey Kong 64 (A flawed game, but one I still like.)

-Clay Fighter 63 1/3 (There were worse games back then, and worse games now.)

-Both of the N64 Castlevanias. (American McGee's Alice owes quite a bit to these, and they have aged better than the CD-ROM Tomb Raider trilogy.)

-Both of the Vigilante 8 games.

-Wipeout 64

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...