IGNORED

Knight Lore

Asmusr

Extremely impressive.

It pains me that the PEB, 32K, and FlashROM99 won't get me there. :-) Might have to step up one day to the other flash cart.

Thanks. If you have access to an EPROM burner you can also run it from a red cart:

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/PCB-Fetzner-512k-ROM-cartridge-board-assembled/p/50654451/category=16275020

• Like 2

Thanks. If you have access to an EPROM burner you can also run it from a red cart:

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/PCB-Fetzner-512k-ROM-cartridge-board-assembled/p/50654451/category=16275020

Interesting ! i thought that it was only woeking for the finalGROM so it will need a label :P

I had a bit of label making fun today. . .

There are some cool ideas on it i guess :) Jim you have a PM, please remember to left me an answer.

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1

I have made some optimizations to the sprite drawing etc, so the game is running slightly faster now. To prevent the game from running too fast on empty screens, I have reintroduced the delay loop from the original game. The delay is shorter when more objects are drawn, and disappears for more than 6 objects.

There are lots of other ways the code could be optimized further, one would be to store shifted versions of all the sprites, another would be to utilize PAD RAM better. But it has to end somewhere, and I think it's running OK as it is. If anyone is interested the code is at github: https://github.com/Rasmus-M/Knight-lore

Since no bugs have been reported in the beta I hereby present the final version. The image is only 128K now because I could remove some duplicate sprite patterns.

It's a difficult game to get very far into with 5 lives. If you want to proceed a bit further, the number of lives can be changed at offset >0854 (hex) in the cartridge image with a hex editor, but please don't distribute patched images. Note that the trick of standing on and jumping from an object while picking it up is important for completing many screens.

Here is a map I found on the net that will help you find your way to the central cauldron room.

post-35226-0-26755400-1501257399_thumb.png

When the game begins you are randomly placed in one of four locations.

knightlore-final-8.bin

• Like 14

Will the binary work with a FlashROM99? Or only the FinalGROM?

No. Yes. One of the fundamental differences between the FlashROM99 and the FinalGROM99 is that the FlashROM99 only supports images up to 32K while the FinalGROM99 supports images up to 1MB.

• 2 weeks later...

Related to this thread with machines where previously an isometric game would have been "impossible" ... on the ZX81 forum a isometric game has been developed for a 16k expanded standard ZX81 using pseudo hi-res.

http://www.sinclairzxworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1853

Pretty amazing when you think of the limitations of the ZX81.

Edited by palmheads
  • Like 1

Related to this thread with machines where previously an isometric game would have been "impossible" ... on the ZX81 forum a isometric game has been developed for a 16k expanded standard ZX81 using pseudo hi-res.

http://www.sinclairzxworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1853

Pretty amazing when you think of the limitations of the ZX81.

Wow, that's crazy. I never understood how they do the hi-res.

From looking the at the ZX81 project pictures, there seem to be a very limited number of unique monochromatic tiles used to create most of the rooms. There is hardly any detail to the walls and the archways have been replaced by rectangular structures likely to economize on tiles. And since this is an isometric geometry, the tile alignment will always be along fixed axis. That said, given that the ZX81 does not have character definition functions, I have no idea how the author created the tiles to start with... One could presumably do something similar in TI Basic or XB using character definition and a bunch of CALL HCHARs, with plenty of characters left over for objects.

• Like 1

Yeah even back in the day alot of Pseudo hires games were developed for the ZX81. Some of the more famous ones were Forty Niner, Rocketman etc.

From what I understand, effectively the ZX81 display is software based - a display file is written. Some clever clogs figured out you can effectively rewrite that display file yourself (with limitations).

Some formatting issues, but this page is really comprehensive explaining the techniques

http://www.user.dccnet.com/wrigter/index_files/ZX%20Video%20Tutorial.htm

Also this

http://www.pictureviewerpro.com/hosting/zx81/download/zx81/highres.txt

Edited by palmheads

• 2 years later...
18 hours ago, jrhodes said:

Don't suppose we can ever expect to see TI versions of Underwurlde and Pentagram can we?

Not from me.

Converting Knight Lore from the ZX Spectrum version was a very interesting project, and is probably the most 'impossible' thing I have ever coded.

But it's not my impression that people have played it very much, so I don't think it's would be worthwhile to convert the other titles in the filmation trilogy (Alien 8 and Pentagram) even though the code is supposed to be quite similar. I estimate it would still take a few hundred hours per game.

Underwurlde is a completely different game - more like Sabrewulf. Converting that directly without using the TI's hardware sprites would most likely result in a game running too slowly. So it would be more like Pyjamarama, where I re-coded everything from scratch, than when I converted Knightlore. But it wasn't my impression that people played Pyjamarama very much either.

I think I'm done with Spectrum conversions. Five must be enough... 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 7:46 PM, Vorticon said:

I would love to see a wargame from you. Would be happy to help with the AI side of things for sure.

I not really familiar with the genre, unless you call Civilization a wargame ;). Are you thinking of a conversion or making something from scratch? Perhaps something with hex-tiles?