IGNORED

side 3

lotharek

You can swap ATRs (for two-sided disks, etc) using the swap button on the XEL-CF3 as well, as with the SIDE2 swap button. :)

I was just reading up on doing this! I need a MAP file containing a simple list of disk numbers and files to mount like this

D1:GAME Disk 1 Side 1.atr
D2:GAME Disk 1 Side 2.atr
D3:GAME Disk 2 Side 1.atr
D4:GAME Disk 2 Side 2.atr
D5:GAME Save Disk.atr

on a 2 atr title, pressing the button just swaps d1 and d2, what happens on a 3 or more atr title?

on a 2 atr title, pressing the button just swaps d1 and d2, what happens on a 3 or more atr title?

The whole series is shifted down and wrapped around, so the first press of the button results in:

D1:GAME Disk 1 Side 2.atr
D2:GAME Disk 2 Side 1.atr
D3:GAME Disk 2 Side 2.atr
D4:GAME Save Disk.atr
D5:GAME Disk 1 Side 1.atr
...and so on.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As the person supposedly tasked with developing the loader for the device, I can tell you that I've heard nothing in two years and haven't yet seen any hardware.

I assume the same is still true with the Incognito 2?

• Like 1

Personally, I do not like the move to SD cards. We need to keep the parallel ATA port and use those cheap adapters if you must use an SD card. Every SD card I have seen is slow, especially at 1.x MHz. CF slot allows for adaption for real IDE hard drives. It's a 1:1 connection. I do not like an SD card as the ONLY option on ANY Atari related things.

Exception: The Carts are fine. They are not used for rapid data transfer as is a hard drive. I do not 'hate' SD cards, but I believe they have their purpose. CF cards and the pure IDE/ATA interface have a different (and faster) purpose.

@Candle: Are you still alive? Hopefully.

:)

• Like 1

Candle just become active again on polish Atari forum and we exchanged couple of messages. The good news is, that he is still working on Atari projects, and we will see some new hardware from him soon. The bad news is that he has limited time to dedicate for this hobby. He is still working on Side3 and next version of Incognito.

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

I have a bunch of 'useless' CF adapter cards with a port on them that looks like a CF port on the bottom where there would be pins, could they be compatable with Atari ? I can get 3 of them I have one I will take a picture of it, Don is the one that says its useless....as he cannot find anything t use them on. Russ

44 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

I have a bunch of 'useless' CF adapter cards with a port on them that looks like a CF port on the bottom where there would be pins, could they be compatable with Atari ? I can get 3 of them I have one I will take a picture of it, Don is the one that says its useless....as he cannot find anything t use them on. Russ

Who the hell is "Don"? He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Lotharek's SIDE2:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=55

Or one of Steve's AtariMax MyIDE-II:

https://www.atarimax.com/myide/documentation/

If you buy or build one of Michael's 1088XEL or 1088XLD machines, you can very easily add one of these:  

https://ataribits.weebly.com/xel-cf-drive.html

• Like 1

Here is a closer pic as you wiĺ notice the one on the right is what he was saying

6 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Who the hell is "Don"? He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Lotharek's SIDE2:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=55

Or one of Steve's AtariMax MyIDE-II:

https://www.atarimax.com/myide/documentation/

If you buy or build one of Michael's 1088XEL or 1088XLD machines, you can very easily add one of these:  

https://ataribits.weebly.com/xel-cf-drive.html

was useless not the one on the left. 

15634875938883330798675895787065.jpg

He does have useful stuff, 4 tractor trailers full, Don is my local EWeste  dealer, probably why he thought that item was useless , I suspect that he has a box fuĺ of them. He was really ticked off that he bought them and basically could not sell them. Anyways this is the other thing a got from him, useful to me.

15634886038796258107394594930192.jpg

15634886398032032989613486454713.jpg

"Don" isn't far off when he says those are useless. You CAN use them but you need a cable with the right connector on one end and a 'normal' connector on the other end. I'd expect that to be hard to find and expensive to make. The regular CF adapters are cheap so its probably not worth the effort.

On 4/24/2019 at 6:08 PM, ZuluGula said:

Candle just become active again on polish Atari forum and we exchanged couple of messages. The good news is, that he is still working on Atari projects, and we will see some new hardware from him soon. The bad news is that he has limited time to dedicate for this hobby. He is still working on Side3 and next version of Incognito.

good, I wonder if i will ever get my Side cart and Atari 400 (and French 7800) back from him 

• 5 months later...

reason why i got silent for 2 years are simple - i do not work from home office anymore, and when i finally get back home i'm tired and unable to take another "shift" and carry on with atari projects

this is the same board that was assembled 2 years ago and put on the shelf

i took some time off and put some work into it

i wish that employers would understand that you don't need to go to the office to work, and people are not born to spend half of their life sitting in the office

uh huh?! i just got "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by ReDefine-Polsat."

whom? what?!

Edited by candle
add information
  • Like 19