the writing and reading speeds vary quite a bit depending or cluster size and format of sd cards, and indeed the same cards with such format and sizes being changed will show some decent performance variances as a result.

SD card interface is presented to Atari at SD card command level, so there is no dependency on logical format or file system used, there are no containters there, nor emulation layers, meaning that SD card preformance only varies with card's embedded memory controller used - some are slower to sending so-called data tokens than others

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@candle,

Pleased to hear from you and hope everyone is healthy and in good spirits!

22 minutes ago, candle said:

SD card interface is presented to Atari at SD card command level, so there is no dependency on logical format or file system used, there are no containers there, nor emulation layers, meaning that SD card performance only varies with card's embedded memory controller used - some are slower to sending so-called data tokens than others

Good information, thanks for such a quick reply!

... wonder what the advantages/disadvantages w/ different levels of intervention by devices of this kind would have on the Atari's handling of the different file systems/containers and speed. Just an abstract thought of such implementations noy being either/or choice exclusively, but possibly being select-able within such devices. 

Edited by _The Doctor__

if 6502 is up to the task handling given file system efficiently, it's not an issue

• Like 1

All the bullet lists indicate there is a realtime clock... I'm an Atari 8bit newb... is there a standard for the clock that the side3 follows?

The built in Spartdos X DATE and TIME commands don't seem to do anything. 

2 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

All the bullet lists indicate there is a realtime clock... I'm an Atari 8bit nube... is there a standard for the clock that the side3 follows?

The built in Spartdos X DATE and TIME commands don't seem to do anything. 

Usually after I ask a question, I think of better search terms... answered here: 

• Like 1

My newb SIDE3 question.  Can the SIDE3 work with another device like ALSP's SDrive² ?  Hoping to get a Ultimate 1mb for myself as a Xmas gift but curious if there is a way to make the SIDE3 and SDrive play nice together until then.  Right now I use SDrive for ATR files and SIDE3 for XEX and CAR files but I have to remove one device for the other at boot.

6 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Can the SIDE3 work with another device like ALSP's SDrive² ?

Absolutely no problem at all, although you may need to temporarily boot with SDX disabled in order to run the SDrive boot menu. Once you have U1MB, this is a non-issue and your FAT-hosted disk images and partitions can work with any DOS you like and will coexist happily with any SDrive volumes providing drive numbers do not clash.

• Like 1