IGNORED

Unpopular games that you like?

hizzy

I never see Dodge 'Em on any top ten list, but, for me, it's a must own. E.T goes without saying. I also have time for Slot Racers & Basketball. You?

Dodge'em is a classic - I play it often.

The "bad" Third-party game, that is in my "best-of" collection, is "Airlock" by Data Age. As a kid, who spent a fair amount of time in the Arcade(early 80's), I would've puked at the sight of it. Nowadays I love it!

And for whatever reason, I kinda enjoy "Snake", another Data Age game. I don't know why - let's face it..."Snake" is pathetic.

Edited by AtariKid81
  • Like 1

I never see Dodge 'Em on any top ten list, but, for me, it's a must own. E.T goes without saying. I also have time for Slot Racers & Basketball. You?

Upon seeing your initial post, I quickly looked to see where you are from.. Most of the kids in my neighborhood, including my brother and myself, where totally smitten by Dodge 'Em and Basketball early days in the Atari. That's all we would play before other games appeared.

Two great games indeed..

• Like 2

I liked most of the games that started disappearing in the Rev. E and later catalogs: Miniature Golf, Slot Machine, Flag Capture... And this amazing post made me a fan of Starship: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223896-the-10-worst-atari-2600-games/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2962334

Basic Math would be an exception. Although, about every 5 years I will whip it out, input the wrong answer, and sing along to the Taps music: "You are wrong, you are wrong..."

• Like 1

I liked most of the games that started disappearing in the Rev. E and later catalogs: Miniature Golf, Slot Machine, Flag Capture... And this amazing post made me a fan of Starship: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223896-the-10-worst-atari-2600-games/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2962334

Basic Math would be an exception. Although, about every 5 years I will whip it out, input the wrong answer, and sing along to the Taps music: "You are wrong, you are wrong..."

Wow! Another Miniature Golf fan! I can't believe they pulled it from the market back in '79 -- it really wasn't any better or worse than the other stuff Atari was putting out.

• Like 2

Most of the games being mentioned aren't really "unpopular" as much as they're just not A-list Top 10 games. They're not Asteroids or Space Invaders or River Raid or Yars' Revenge or Pitfall or other games everybody and their mamas remember. But that doesn't make them worse.

Games like Air-Sea Battle, Dodge 'Em, Maze Craze, Cosmic Commuter, Star Voyager, Donkey Kong, Commando Raid...people who've played these games generally enjoy them. They're just not as iconic as Berzerk or Chopper Command or Pole Position.

I think some of these don't get mentioned as much because, while experienced collectors know about games like Subterranea, there are a lot of newer people here lately as well. Subterranea used to come up all the time in "Underrated Games" threads.

FWIW, here are some of my "diamonds in the rough:"

Star Ship (I. liked. this. game. before. it. was. cool. :P Although I was also much younger and spazzier then... :-D )
Squeeze Box
Home Run
Night Driver
Air Raiders
Commando Raid
Space Jockey
Rescue Terra I (glad to see this got a mention earlier...got myself a nifty repro of this cart)
Guardian
Air-Sea Battle (I don't think anyone "dislikes" this cart but it always comes up in these discussions for some reason)
Fantastic Voyage
Spacemaster X-7
GORF
Secret Quest
Defender (it has its fans, but plenty of people hate it, too; I love it)
Miner 2049er (a far cry from the Atari 5200, Coleco, C64, or Apple versions, but fun; dying and starting over sucks tho)
Montezuma's Revenge
Fast Eddie
Radar Lock
Galaxian (nobody talks about Galaxian and it's baffling. Great game, even with that weird yellow border.)
Donkey Kong (is this unpopular?)
Pac-Man (bad port, fun game. It's fun. Sorry, it just is. Your shitty Christmas in 1982 doesn't change that. :P )
River Raid II
Ikari Warriors
Xenophobe
Street Racer
Video Olympics (again...is this unpopular?)
Survival Run
Communist Mutants From Space (Supercharger cassette)
Bugs
Warplock
Sub Scan
Halloween (yes, seriously)
Cross Force
Super Football
Turmoil
Cosmic Commuter
Subterranea
Burgertime (people usually think of the Intellivision, Coleco, or some other version)
Bump 'N' Jump (^ ditto)
Tapper
Mega Force
Crash Dive
Codebreaker
Brain Games
Golf
Miniature Golf
Stellar Track
Steeplechase
Football (provided there's somebody to play with)
Dolphin
Track & Field
Realsports Tennis

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 3

Wow! Another Miniature Golf fan! I can't believe they pulled it from the market back in '79 -- it really wasn't any better or worse than the other stuff Atari was putting out.

I love it. I've been contemplating for a few years on spending the $20 on the Miniature Golf+ in the AA store with new courses. Anyone own this cart?

I love it. I've been contemplating for a few years on spending the $20 on the Miniature Golf+ in the AA store with new courses. Anyone own this cart?

I just checked, and the rom is available for a test run. It's fun! I didn't even know there was a hack of this :)

• Like 1

There is also Mini Golf Hi Rez in my signature. The nice thing about those versions is the cursor doesn't slow down when you get close to the ball and you can also move the joystick diagonally.
  • Like 3

I bet not many here have really played this one, but I like it a lot:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-snail-against-squirrel_13689.html

And this one as well:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-mr-postman_14115.html

8)

I love Snail Against Squirrel. Definitely one of the better PAL releases.

• Like 1

Air-Sea Battle, Star ship, outlaw, basketball, bowling and of course, Capture. I can't rationaly explain just how many hours I spent playing these games. Long before Adventure and Superman came into the house and stole all my time. But there is something about those really old, first bundle of games. Nothing else is the same.

• Like 2

It seems that "unpopular" and "underrated" are closely associated in people's minds, but I didn't immediately make that connection when I read this thread title. I made the assumption that the TS was talking about games that other people had actually played but decided they did not like. Then of course you have to hear about the fact that they don't like the game, play it yourself and decide you like it. Anyway blah blah

Some that were mentioned that I also like are Star Ship and Communist Mutants from Outer Space. I seem to read negative things about these two from time to time.

One game that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Mouse Trap. Every once in a while Mouse Trap seems to come up and people aren't very favorable toward it. I like it and like the fact that holding down the button has a different function than just tapping it. How many other 2600 games have that same mechanic?