IGNORED

Unpopular games that you like?

hizzy

For me, ET and Journey Escape. ET is frustrating as all get out, but I think that's some of the games overall charm. Or being stubborn lol. Journey Escape is I think more of a shmup with the exception of not shooting everything. Plus I like the fact that it actually plays music. So far other than my Juno First homebrew, I have yet to find another Atari game that actually has a music track. Although I'm sure there are.

Moon Patrol has a music track

• Like 1

Plus I like the fact that it actually plays music. So far other than my Juno First homebrew, I have yet to find another Atari game that actually has a music track. Although I'm sure there are.

Smurf

Snoopy vs. the Red Baron

Pressure Cooker

Pitfall II

As for unpopular games, I really like Cosmic Creeps, Bank Heist, Demolition Herby, Assault, Eggomania

• 4 months later...

Subterranea is one of the best on the 2600, but correct: no one seems to know about its existence...

I always had a soft Spot for Pac-Man. In Germany only adults could enter Arcades and you could hardly find any Arcade Cabinets outside of those, so we all thought that the 2600-Pac-Man is the real Pac-Man. If you don't compare it to the Original, I think, it's quite good...

Another Game, that's said to be really bad and that I like is Condor Attack. It's technically "sub-par" but gives simple and fast shooting fun - at least for me!

Yes, Subterramea is one of the best shooters for the 2600".

I really appreciate ET a lot more nowadays. I think it's really ingenious how he added so many features and how to use them all with only one button. I didn't even know you could send away the doctor and agent on the screen until this year.

Edited by maxdrive
  • Like 3

Flag Capture - I would pretend I'm a pirate looking for treasure on an island of squares.

E.T. was a great game. It could be played in many different ways. I remember as a kid I would do speed runs on it and try to collect as many candy pieces as possible for the score at the end. I would try to win the game with as close to zero left on the clock as possible.

• Like 2

Sounds like someone should take care and hack the game.

Here here! I for one would love to see this!

I remember that Snoopy and The Red Barron had some kind of bizarre Easter egg. I walked away from it while during the award screen where it shows your inventory of root beer, ice cream cones and stuff like that. It stays at that screen until you push a button.

I came back in the room after maybe a half hour or so, and the Atari was playing music (!!!). Still showing the screen. Did this happen or was I imagining things? 20 years ago at least.

I gave my cart to another collector a long time ago, or I would try to recreate this and see if I was crazy.

Hehe... On that note if there was a hack to thoughtfully ramp up the difficulty, I'd add this cart back to my collection stat!

Especially if it played a surprise funky tune.

• 1 month later...

Some cool games mentioned here.

I like Human Cannonball. Doubt too many others do. And I play Fun with Numbers sometimes...

I agree with someone else who mentioned Hangman. Also cool...

And yes, absolutely: E.T. just isn't as bad as everyone makes out. Not as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark, but still very good (Raiders is simply superb).

• Like 2

I enjoy playing Dark Chambers, especially two player. Sadly I don't read too many reviews that are favorable to this game.

I have a lot of good memories playing this two player with friends and family members. Throw on some music, turn on Dark Chambers, and enjoy a few hours of conversation. Strangely relaxing. Highly recommended!

• Like 3

Earthworld

Not that it's even close to being a good game. I was just convinced if I poured over the instructions and comic book long enough I figure out how to find all the clues in the game. Man, I'm glad the primitive technology couldn't tell you how many hours you played like many modern games do. I might tie a noose or go to the pawn shop and get a gun!

Edited by bigfriendly

Earthworld

Not that it's even close to being a good game. I was just convinced if I poured over the instructions and comic book long enough I figure out how to find all the clues in the game. Man, I'm glad the primitive technology couldn't tell you how many hours you played like many modern games do. I might tie a noose or go to the pawn shop and get a gun!

I too poured many hours of my youth trying to discover all the clues in SQ:EW. Even got to the point that I could run straight through the waterfalls of Leo without stopping.

Actually had a dream one night that helped me solve the fifth clue.

Found he game very relaxing.

SQ:FW on the other hand, sucked

I like Human Cannonball. Doubt too many others do.

I still play this game from time to time. Absolutely love it and it's one of the few original games that has a really different "feel" to it compared to the rest of the library. Hard to explain, but when I play Human Cannonball (despite not having it BITD), feels like I'm really taken back in time. In a good way of course! Very entertaining game to this day.

Dark Chambers for the VCS is one I could never get into. I understand system limitations and all that, but shooting one character over and over again, that turns into other characters in which you need to shoot over and over again, never struck me as much fun. The 7800 version is a totally different story. Why they even attempted that game for the VCS instead of releasing something better suited for the console, will remain a mystery to me. Would rather not have seen some of these 7800 conversions downsized for the VCS actually. Fatal Run and Desert Falcon are a couple of others that didn't need VCS conversions. Gotta love it when companies produce products that confuse the marketplace and compete with themselves.

• Like 2