IGNORED

Unpopular games that you like?

hizzy

It seems that "unpopular" and "underrated" are closely associated in people's minds, but I didn't immediately make that connection when I read this thread title. I made the assumption that the TS was talking about games that other people had actually played but decided they did not like. Then of course you have to hear about the fact that they don't like the game, play it yourself and decide you like it. Anyway blah blah

Some that were mentioned that I also like are Star Ship and Communist Mutants from Outer Space. I seem to read negative things about these two from time to time.

One game that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Mouse Trap. Every once in a while Mouse Trap seems to come up and people aren't very favorable toward it. I like it and like the fact that holding down the button has a different function than just tapping it. How many other 2600 games have that same mechanic?

I just recently discovered Commie Mutants. I think it's a lot of fun. Maybe not the greatest Atari space shooter but certainly not bad IMO.

• Like 2

One game that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Mouse Trap. Every once in a while Mouse Trap seems to come up and people aren't very favorable toward it. I like it and like the fact that holding down the button has a different function than just tapping it. How many other 2600 games have that same mechanic?

Mouse Trap is a good game. :thumbsup:
  • Like 2

One game that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Mouse Trap. Every once in a while Mouse Trap seems to come up and people aren't very favorable toward it.

Cuz it's so watered down from the arcade game. There are no prizes in the maze and I think there are only 3 cats. Way too easy of a game. This game really shines on the ColecoVision.

I just recently discovered Commie Mutants. I think it's a lot of fun. Maybe not the greatest Atari space shooter but certainly not bad IMO.

I love this game. A handful of options from the game menu to change things up.

Limit myself two games...

1. Reactor

2. Planet Patrol

Both underrated and great fun

I like both of these games.

Mouse Trap is a good game. icon_thumbsup.gif

icon_thumbsdown.gif

• Like 1

For me, ET and Journey Escape. ET is frustrating as all get out, but I think that's some of the games overall charm. Or being stubborn lol. Journey Escape is I think more of a shmup with the exception of not shooting everything. Plus I like the fact that it actually plays music. So far other than my Juno First homebrew, I have yet to find another Atari game that actually has a music track. Although I'm sure there are.

One of my favorites is Laser Gates. I also really like barnstorming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed on both fronts. I recently picked up Laser Volley which is the Zellers version of Laser Gates, which for me was much easier to find than the real Imagic title. Very fun game. I've also had a soft spot for Barnstorming. Although not great it's a fun little few minutes of game play when I sit down for an Atari session. I had it as a kid so that's probably part of it.

• Like 2

Agreed on both fronts. I recently picked up Laser Volley which is the Zellers version of Laser Gates, which for me was much easier to find than the real Imagic title. Very fun game. I've also had a soft spot for Barnstorming. Although not great it's a fun little few minutes of game play when I sit down for an Atari session. I had it as a kid so that's probably part of it.

I agree with barnstorming. I only play it in 5-15 minute sessions. It reminds me of Laser Gates somehow. I didn't know about Laser Volley. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Superman has always been one of my favorites, but it seems like a lot of people don't like it.

Adventure has always been my most favorite 2600 game; and superman & haunted house would be in my top 20....i guess i like wandering around from room to room looking for things. :)

Edited by eegad
  • Like 2

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. That game is not really does not deserve the reputation that it has as being the worst 2600 game ever made, or having caused the game market crash (there were many other factors that caused the crash and E.T. is often mistakenly attributed being cause of the crash by people who are not knowledgeable about the history of the crash). The graphics are fairly good and I like that the game has more of an objective than just blasting away at things for a high score until the games end when losing a life. I like that there is quest and it is rewarding to win the game. I think the game was a bit to ambitious for it's time and misunderstood by a lot of players who didn't bother to read the manual. Unlike most Atari 2600 games of the time (or games on other systems) there was bit that needed to be know and wouldn't just be obvious by picking the game up and playing it without reading the manual. I am not saying that E.T. was a perfect game but it it hardly deserves the reputation that it has. Fire Fighter and Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 are much worse games in my opinion.

• Like 1

I never see Dodge 'Em on any top ten list, but, for me, it's a must own. E.T goes without saying. I also have time for Slot Racers & Basketball. You?

Dodge 'em is one of the best early games for the system. In fact, I would love to see a remake with more lanes. It's one of those games where I just have to do it one more time.

I really liked Laser Blast as a kid. I was really good at it too. I forget the details, but there was a special screen that you could get to and if you took a picture of it, you get a patch or something. I remember reaching that goal. In fact, the phone rang while I was playing and I had so many lives racked up that I was able to continue the game even after having to answer the phone. The game really didn't age well though.

• Like 1

I like both pac man and donkey kong. Yes, even as a kid, I knew both were not like the arcade, but that was all I had at the time and I got enjoyment out of them. I have journey Escape for about 6 months, never owned it back in the day, but have yet to play it. Will have to give it a try. I also liked asteroids, which was WAY easier then the arcade.

That's only if you play it on setting 1. I think game 7 is the one closer to the arcade where the rocks don't just go up and down, by fly in random directions just like the arcade. It's not quite as hard as the arcade, but it is much harder than version 1.

• Like 1

There was a close-out shop near me when I was in HS, which I wanna say was called The Odd Lot which carried discontinued items and I picked up my SuperCharger along with Communists... and another game whose name I don't remember. Anyhow, that's an underrated game. I played the shit out of that game.

They also carried the M-Network games, which I picked up. Bump N Jump was a pretty good port and you had the ability to start over in the level you are in. Using that method, I actually made it through to the end. M-Network Football was a pretty good 2 player game. Lock-N-Chase was good too.

I also picked up a Mattel Aquarius there for like $39, but I ended up throwing that away.

• Like 3

Dodge 'em is one of the best early games for the system. In fact, I would love to see a remake with more lanes. It's one of those games where I just have to do it one more time.

I really want to like this game. I don't dislike it but frankly I suck at it. Not once ever have I completed the first maze. I have an old "How to beat VCS games" book that shows exactly what part of the maze to hit and at what speeds but I've just never gotten it right.

Wow a boring repetitive game that now has the added benefit of being played with hand cramping controls. Sign me up! ;)

Actually this homebrew for the Atari 8-bits looks pretty interesting and I've been contemplating ordering a copy.

• Like 2

Yeah I never liked Laser Blast, But to each his own...That one was an extreme disappointment for me, especially since with some tweaking and re-imagining, it could have been great...I think it and some other earlier Activision games mainly gave us hope that future releases would not only be better, but make Atari get more competitive and make better games too. And history would show we were right ! :-D

Another one just came to me. Is No Escape! popular? I don't seem to see it too often in discussions....Anyhow I bought it BITD on a whim and ended up liking it quite a bit!