IGNORED

SIO2PC Universal USB DUAL SIO Jacks by AtariMax and Mac

Mathy

Hello guys

After drooling over AtariMax's "SIO2PC Universal USB DUAL SIO Jacks", I finally bought one a couple of month ago. Without noticing that AtariMax doesn't seem to have Mac software available. So now the question is: How do I get this to work on the iMac (running High Sierra public beta 2)?

Sincerely

Mathy

Have you tried it under WINE or in CrossOver? Alternately you could use a Windows machine running inside VirtualBox or something. I've used APE/ProSystem via WINE on my Mac several years ago but getting the COM: port setup was a bit tricky - I had to create a symlink named "COM2" or something that pointing to the /dev/ttyUSB entry that my SIO2USB device identified itself as.

Hello DrVenkman

I bought my first iMac years ago for one reason: So I would never ever again have to use anything Microsoft made, in my spare time. So no, I have never used anything to run Windows on my iMac and will never ever do so.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

Hello DrVenkman

I bought my first iMac years ago for one reason: So I would never ever again have to use anything Microsoft made, in my spare time. So no, I have never used anything to run Windows on my iMac and will never ever do so.

Sincerely

Mathy

That's all fine and good, Mathy, but having purchased Windows-only software, you're kind of stuck with what you got. WINE or CrossOver should work, as it did when I used it several years back and of course, WINE = WINE Is Not an Emulator. ;)

Hello DrVenkman

I didn't intend to buy Windows software, I wanted the hardware.

Sincerely

Mathy

You are out of luck then, I think. I believe Steve's devices are hardware-locked to use APE only and cannot use a generic software like RespeQt, AspeQt or SIO2OSX (which I believe has been non-functional since Sierra last year). I might be wrong about that, but someone else will know for sure.

If I'm correct, you need to contact Steve and see if he will accept a return.

Hey Mathy,

I downloaded the Ape Trial software and used WineBottler to make a version you can execute on the Mac just by double clicking the icon...

Download the file at the link and unzip it. Then double click on it and Ape will run.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0B91IEsk-0OSTJvWThVVzlkcjg/view?usp=sharing

I can confirm this bit works but you will likely have to configure it for your hardware (which I cannot test).

I hope this works!

Best,

Sarge

Hello DrVenkman

I believe Steve's devices are hardware-locked to use APE only and cannot use a generic software ...

Isn't this the Atari 8 bit scene? The one once famous for its tendency to remove, bypass, disable whatever made it impossible to use certain pieces of software on certain pieces of hardware? :D

Sincerely

Mathy (who's looking for volunteers :grin: )

Hello DrVenkman

Isn't this the Atari 8 bit scene? The one once famous for its tendency to remove, bypass, disable whatever made it impossible to use certain pieces of software on certain pieces of hardware? :D

Sincerely

Mathy (who's looking for volunteers :grin: )

I have APE and it works fine with the FTDI solutions. I have a "sloopy" SIO2PC and use APE with it all the time.

I have APE and it works fine with the FTDI solutions. I have a "sloopy" SIO2PC and use APE with it all the time.

It's not APE that's the issue - I believe it's Steve's HARDWARE that's locked to APE (or so I have heard elseswhere on these boards - personally I have a device from He Who Shall Not Be Named before he went and lost it and got himself banned). Works with APE; works with AspeQt; works with RespeQt; worked with SIO2OSX (there was a sweet piece of kit) before Sierra broke it and the author abandoned it) ...

IIRC Steve used an alternative VID/PID for his device. On Linux you can override this.

Connect the device, run lsusb to see what VID/PID he used, unplug the device, modprobe ftdio_sio and echo $VID $PID > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id

Plug the device back in and it should show up as /dev/ttyUSB0

I'm pretty sure something like this is possible under MacOS X.

Or you could set the vid/pid back to the default values with FT_PROG (http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_PROG) or ft232r_prog (http://rtr.ca/ft232r/)

after which the official ftdi drivers should work.

• Like 4

The AtariMax USB2SIO is not a generic (FTDI) serial<>USB device but a custom design using a 48 MHz MPU running its own software/firmware. It does not expose itself as a generic COM port but has its own custom programming interface (that's why AspeQt/RespeQt can't use it). So it needs the AtariMax drivers to work which are unfortunately only available for Windows. To make the interface work under native MAC, Steve would have to create MAC drivers for his device and make a MAC version of APE.

To make it work with AspecQt/RespeQt, those applications would then need to support the AtariMax SIO2USB native programming interface. Unfortunately the programming interface is AFAIK not documented.

• Like 1

I have a related question -- Are there any USB<--> SIO devices that work with a Mac without running some type of converter? And will they work at greater than 3X? Just curious.

-Larry

Yes. Lotharek’s device should work as will any other generic FTDI-based board. You can even build one yourself. I recommend running RespeQT (native OSX builds available). :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi togther! To shorten this up. Mark, the author of the Atari800MacX emulator, has solved this. Please see here:

http://www.atarimac.com/sio2osx.php

Therefore, in a nutshell, buy:

http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-232MINI.html

and use the driver from:

https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

and it should work.

Please take into account, FTDI is vital for data transfer with a Mac. There are chips out there in the galaxy, where FTDI is painted on the chip, but not inside... :-(

post-32599-0-42991700-1543359100.jpg

Edited by luckybuck

• 6 months later...

Wow... refusing to use Wine in order to allow a Windows app to run on their MAC simply because they have a Microsoft vendetta is rather amusing, as well as needlessly limiting. This reminds me of someone on here that also said they wouldn't use a PS/2 keyboard on their Atari because of it's IBM heritage. I thought with old age we left all of this pettiness behind us, but I guess I was dreaming :) .

• Like 2