IGNORED

I like the pacing of shining force

coleco82

I like the game very much. It's a strategy/RPG, and as such, I like the talking to people and seeing their responses. I play this on my Mega Everdrive X3 flash cart on my Model 1 Sega Genesis.

The battles don't take too long, I am only on the 3rd battle

What does everyone else think of this game?

• Like 1

I think Shining in the Darkness is one of the most overlooked games in the series. It's unlike anything else in the series.

For some fun check out Shining Force Neo. It has some of the most cringe worthy voice acting on the PS2, but it's still a fun game.

Shining Force is one of my favorites.

I bought my original cart from K-Mart. I had no idea what it was like, but it seemed interesting. I was pretty much in love with the game from the moment I popped the game into the console. The first time through, I blazed through the game without any grinding.

Since then, I tend to play it with my partner. Each of us pick characters and we periodically do some leveling. The large character roster supports this extremely well, so each of us can have our own party even though we're playing the same game.

I liked how there was no backtracking and exploration was almost non-existent. The game knew it's appeal was in the battles and focused on that. I think all the exploration and mucking around is something that hurts the sequel a bit.

I like how you can approach the game how you want. If you want to just grind, then it lets you. If you want permadeath, there's no reason you have to rez fallen warriors. If you want to just blaze through, then pretend Egress and Wings don't exist. There aren't a lot of characters you HAVE to use when all is said and done.

And it's pretty simple, because whomping monsters is fun.

Enjoy the game. It's a blast, and ages very well. And once you've completed it, try Shining Force II and Shining Force CD.

I am a big fan of old school, turn based RPGs. This is definitely one of my all time favorites, along with SF II.

Another one that I like is Vandal Hearts for Playstation. I did not like VH II though because of the changed game mechanics (simultaneous player and enemy movement).

I just really love the way Shining Force games play. I love turn-based strategy, and I love how the terrain affects that strategy. Promotions are fun, and the simplicity of magic is nice. Just everything about them is perfect the way it is. One of the few Sega CD games I own is SF CD, which I believe is the only translation of some Japan-only GameGear games or something like that. It's also the reason I got a Mega Everdrive X5 - it can be used as the Sega CD RAM cart, and you need to beat both main stories to get to the secret third. I'm currently replaying the original Shining Force - just broke into Chapter 3.